Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Can trans cooler lines be too big?
Yes they can, it needs restriction 1 25.00%
No, bigger never hurts 3 75.00%
IDK 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2019, 01:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
I suppsoe heating the engine is much more important.

Therfore the transmission constantly cooling it upon startup would be detrimental from an efficiency and emissions standpoint.

The Following User Says Thank You to teoman For This Useful Post:
EcoCivic (11-21-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-21-2019, 03:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman View Post
I suppsoe heating the engine is much more important.

Therfore the transmission constantly cooling it upon startup would be detrimental from an efficiency and emissions standpoint.
I don't have a heat exchanger in the radiator, I just have an external radiator style cooler, which the fluid circulates through at all times. I was wondering if the lines that go from the trans to the cooler could be too big.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I have an update. Long story, but I ended up with an extra 10AN hose kit. What happened is I ordered a 10AN hose kit on ebay for my custom oil cooler setup, but I got a defective fitting and the seller sent me a whole new kit of 12 feet of braided stainless 10AN hose and fittings. I would like to make transmission cooler lines out of this hose. Would it be okay to have really low restriction and use 10AN hoses? I know that’s way overkill but it’s what I have. Thanks
Old 03-15-2020, 01:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
eco....something or other

wood hauler - '91 Ford F-250
Team Pontiac
90 day: 18.97 mpg (US)

Rav - '06 Toyota Rav4 Base
90 day: 26.52 mpg (US)
Bigger cooler lines won't hurt. The cooler does not regulate pressure, it only cools the fluid. There is very little pressure in the cooler and lines compared to the transmission. The valves control the pressure. Any reduction in return line restriction is a good thing.

1991 F-250:
4.9L, Mazda 5 speed, 4.10 10.25" rear
The Following User Says Thank You to IsaacCarlson For This Useful Post:
EcoCivic (03-15-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 10:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacCarlson View Post
Bigger cooler lines won't hurt. The cooler does not regulate pressure, it only cools the fluid. There is very little pressure in the cooler and lines compared to the transmission. The valves control the pressure. Any reduction in return line restriction is a good thing.
Thank you! I didn't think that the cooler lines needed restriction, but I wanted to make sure since it would really suck to go through all the work and expense of changing out the cooler lines and then find out that the trans no longer shifts correctly and need to reinstall the stock lines. I have been thinking about this for a while, and I realized that the fluid flow through the cooler lines varies with RPM and that it needs to be designed in a way that the trans will function correctly with varying amounts of backpressure since it needs to be able to function correctly from idle to redline.

What benefit would I see from less restriction in the cooler lines? I presume I would get more fluid flow through the torque converter and the cooler and therefore overall better cooling? Also theoretically fractionally more MPG and power to the wheels due to less work required by the pump to push the fluid? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-15-2020, 12:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
The only detriment I can think of from having too large of cooling lines is the extra time it will take to move more fluid. More of a cycle time issue than anything else I would imagine. But honestly, it's not going to cause a problem. Using smaller hoses from the factory is also cheaper which is 99% of the reason for their selection.

The Following User Says Thank You to ksa8907 For This Useful Post:
EcoCivic (03-15-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 01:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
The only detriment I can think of from having too large of cooling lines is the extra time it will take to move more fluid. More of a cycle time issue than anything else I would imagine. But honestly, it's not going to cause a problem. Using smaller hoses from the factory is also cheaper which is 99% of the reason for their selection.
Thanks. By extra time you mean it will take longer for the fluid to fill the hoses and start circulating once the engine is started? If so that's not a problem since the returning fluid isn't going anywhere except back into the sump, nothing is relying on it for lubrication or anything like that.
Old 03-15-2020, 03:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
It's a closed loop system, as soon as the fluid is pumped out it is immediately replaced. The cycle time I refer to is more of the thermal energy. If you have, say, 1qt of fluid and a pump rated at 1qt/min then we know we have a 1 min cycle time. If the larger lines hold 2qts now we have a 2 min cycle time.

Again, ultimately for heat these are good things, more fluid in the system means more heat capacity.

The Following User Says Thank You to ksa8907 For This Useful Post:
EcoCivic (03-15-2020)
Reply  Post New Thread