Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2016, 12:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

Tesla sensors cannot see above their beltline

This was first report of an autopilot mishap with a truck trailer. The narrow cones of the sensors are primarily aimed at bumper levels, but not at the higher space above it. The cars just went under the high clearance trailers because the sensors don't 'see' them. The impacts are deadly because they are at windshield/greenhouse/head/skull level. Tesla owners should not to use the Autopilot mode until Tesla and other autonomous vehicle manufacturers add more sensors aimed ABOVE their beltlines. Sad but inevitable lessons in the advancement (and DOT requirements) of autonomous vehicles. Man Claims His Tesla Model S Crashed Into A Trailer All On Its Own

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-01-2016, 01:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Clarification of the crash from the police report diagram, below.

The oncoming truck turned left across the Tesla's path. Seems like a pretty big visual target for a human to miss. Its "visual mass" would have grown rapidly (much moreso than a car's) as it began to turn.

The Tesla was headed east at 4:40 PM, so it wasn't driving into the sun.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
Daox (07-05-2016), Natalya (07-03-2016), redpoint5 (07-05-2016), seifrob (07-04-2016), wdb (07-01-2016), Xist (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 01:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Oh, and the truck driver is claiming the Tesla was speeding and had a movie playing on its screen. (As if that absolves him from turning directly in front of it.)

Tesla says the car won't play movies when driving.

Everybody's trying to cover their butts, except one person who can't.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 07-01-2016, 05:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Oh, and the truck driver is claiming the Tesla was speeding and had a movie playing on its screen. (As if that absolves him from turning directly in front of it.)

Tesla says the car won't play movies when driving.

Everybody's trying to cover their butts, except one person who can't.
Autopilot shouldn't be able to speed? I could be wrong. and driver shouldn't be able to see the stereo/nav screen from his truck...

However, I'm sure it's the only time he's watched a car try to T bone him at full freeway speed. Being the only car that doesn't coast down a little with the rest of the drivers who were watching the road would make the Tesla look like a speeder. Thanks for posting the report. If he had a dash cam, the footage should clear a lot of things up
Old 07-01-2016, 11:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
I also see where they quickly said the radar identified the truck as an overhead sign. Seems to me they probably knew that because they have had problems in testing with braking being applied when going under bridges and overhead signs. So they probably had to "tune" it out some. Obviously a little too much as a 3' high sign or bridge should not be tuned out.
This also makes me question how well it will do in the rain, and snow, or with animals and darkness. I personally will brake if a deer is standing on the side of the road, does this car? I doubt it, as it will then brake for all kinds of things on the side of the road. Does the car know the habits of whitetail deer compared to a mailbox like a human does?
They need to stop calling it autopilot. with autopilot the pilot could pass out and the plane can go to it's destination and land itself just as well as the pilot could. Most crashes are from the pilots ignoring what the plane is telling them to do (besides bombs and missiles that is). This is just adaptive cruise control.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
Grant-53 (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 12:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Here in the USA tires have to have a specific amount of tread to pass inspection. More trucks are using side panels under the trailers to reduce air drag so they would be more detectable. The sensor should be set for 2 meters minimum safe height. Deer are very unpredictable. Even sensing for body heat would be tricky. Sound devices or beeping the horn in one second intervals seems to work best so far. I still pray for the deer on rural roads.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:18 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Does the car know the habits of whitetail deer compared to a mailbox like a human does?
Not just deer, either. Hereabouts there are also wild horses, antelope, open-range cattle, the occasional bear, and various other critters that I haven't personally encountered. All of them have different reactions to oncoming traffic.

Quote:
....with autopilot the pilot could pass out and the plane can go to it's destination and land itself just as well as the pilot could.
Not true. Your basic autopilot system is very much like cruise control: it holds altitude, speed, and heading. What you're perhaps thinking of is an autoland system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoland In fact, there have been cases where a plane's crew was incapacitated due to sudden depressurization, and the plane just continued on the preset course under autopilot until it ran out of fuel. There was one such case a few years ago involving a well-known (to those who follow golf, if not to me) pro golfer.

Last edited by jamesqf; 07-02-2016 at 01:24 AM..
Old 07-02-2016, 09:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Woody - '90 Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon LS
Last 3: 19.57 mpg (US)

Brick - '99 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban LS
Last 3: 12.94 mpg (US)

M. C. - '01 Chevrolet Impala Base
90 day: 17.09 mpg (US)

R. J. - '05 Ford Explorer 4wd
90 day: 16 mpg (US)
I saw a Tesla Sedan just north of Pittsburgh not long ago but not yesterday. Was it him? Perhaps not but it makes me wonder.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
So it never occurred to try this scenario out during testing knowing that the sensors have a very narrow field of view?
Sounds like this ones on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Not just deer, either. Hereabouts there are also wild horses, antelope, open-range cattle, the occasional bear, and various other critters that I haven't personally encountered.
My open exhaust turbo diesel suburban keeps them away I never see any deer while driving it.
On my wifes car we have almost hit so many deer I put new head lights (because the old ones were turning translucent) and rewired it for 100 watt high beams.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:54 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
My open exhaust turbo diesel suburban keeps them away I never see any deer while driving it.
Might be just your good luck, 'cause I've seen a number hit by semis & large pickups/SUVs.

Quote:
On my wifes car we have almost hit so many deer I put new head lights (because the old ones were turning translucent) and rewired it for 100 watt high beams.
Around here the deer mostly come out around dawn & dusk, while it's light enough to not need headlights. Though those headlights sure would help with the open range Black Angus cattle :-)

Reply  Post New Thread