Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #181 (permalink)
diesel doer

Quote from Elhigh: "Hey, Bob Perhaps you could check your rhetoric just a tad."
My attempt to cajole Sendler into actually testing his theory was not to be derogatory but to actually get the results of such a test. I am faced with coming up with a fuel efficient beast to haul a 1000+ lb trailer over the Rockies perhaps multiple times and that result would be meaningful. (To find out why, see my thread in Introductions.)
Regards.
Bob

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-30-2014, 06:15 AM   #182 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
to haul a 1000+ lb trailer over the Rockies
You will be struggling in a lower gear to get up the mountain and using your brakes on the way down. And the trailer will be a loss of aerodynamics. In this case the fuel economy will be much worse.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:10 PM   #183 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Go Go Grocery Getter - '14 Mazda CX 5 Touring
I've been reading over this thread, and I am seriously impressed with the lengths you have gone to in order to replicate/beat the original's claims of MPG. I would love to have a car like this! Something that has me curious, and maybe you've addressed this in another post somewhere: safety!

I know that you have constructed this thing from foam and fiberglass, which, having spent a lot of time working on fiberglass boats, I know is strong. However, is it strong enough to take a hit from a behemoth (comparatively) like a Prius, let alone a loaded Escalde or the like? I can see from your pictures that there really is a serious lack of space in the interior, but have you considered a roll bar or something of the like? It did occur to me that the base car it was built off of was not exactly up to modern safety standards itself.... Maybe you just have the mentality I have when I am on my motorcycle, and that is "Don't get hit."

If I had the time and money to do this, or something similar, I absolutely would. Great job on your build!
Old 08-01-2014, 10:57 PM   #184 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by narclepticfool View Post
I've been reading over this thread, and I am seriously impressed with the lengths you have gone to in order to replicate/beat the original's claims of MPG. I would love to have a car like this! Something that has me curious, and maybe you've addressed this in another post somewhere: safety!

I know that you have constructed this thing from foam and fiberglass, which, having spent a lot of time working on fiberglass boats, I know is strong. However, is it strong enough to take a hit from a behemoth (comparatively) like a Prius, let alone a loaded Escalde or the like? I can see from your pictures that there really is a serious lack of space in the interior, but have you considered a roll bar or something of the like? It did occur to me that the base car it was built off of was not exactly up to modern safety standards itself.... Maybe you just have the mentality I have when I am on my motorcycle, and that is "Don't get hit."

If I had the time and money to do this, or something similar, I absolutely would. Great job on your build!
Hi narclepticfool,
Thanks for your kind words!
My stance on safety may be a bit different than most folks and I'll outline it like this:

Years ago, I did a lot of running. Outdoor running along the roadsides, not on the road, but off to the side. There were people who were doing everything but actually driving and I had my share of close calls. So, I found dirt roads, wooded trails, or a treadmill to run on.

Sometime after, I got into cycling. Like running I would seldom get out into the road unless there wasn't any traffic. And once again there were close calls. So, I got an indoor trainer or used a stationary bike at a fitness center.

Then there are the motorcycles which I've had a ball with. But nowadays I'm more focused on who's texting in the oncoming lane or the rearview mirror. It's hard to enjoy a bike ride anymore, so, I planned my rides when the roads are nearly vacant, that's even if I go at all anymore.

Centurion! It's small. Longer than the Honda 600 coupe I had but also much-much lower. In fact, I've never owned a car soooo lowwww! So yes I think about safety all the time, but this time it's different. I'm really tired of changing my behavior because society rewards bad behavior simply by putting up with it (and ultimately passes more crap that chips away at our choices.) So, If I become the decal on someone's oil pan, know I was having a wonderful time in a car that I continue to give new life to. What a way for both the car and myself to go!
~CrazyJerry

Last edited by changzuki; 08-03-2018 at 11:09 PM..
Old 08-02-2014, 10:47 PM   #185 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Go Go Grocery Getter - '14 Mazda CX 5 Touring
CrazyJerry,

Lets hope you don't end up a decal on someone's oil pan.

I hear you about it being a shame to have to change your behavior because people think that not paying attention to driving is totally acceptable. I have had a number of close calls both on motorcycle and bicycle, so I know where you are coming from. It is also too bad that the car manufacturers seem to think that adding more and more computing power is what they should be doing rather than making their cars the most efficient things that they can.

In any case, keep up the good work, and I look forward to more updates!! I might even be able to use some of your hard won research in my own hypermiling/ecomodding!
Old 08-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #186 (permalink)
diesel doer

CrazyJerry, there is a thin line between suicidal and fatalistic and I am happy you are on the correct side of that line. However, fatalistic carries with it a touch of depression therefore I have a suggestion that you might seriously consider - paint the Centurion bright safety yellow. For 3 reasons: 1) it will brighten your mood just looking at that color, 2) you will be seen by more people and so live longer, and 3) when one of the SOBs gets you, they can't tell the judge "Gee, your honor, I didn't even see him" and without that excuse, their bad behavior will be properly rewarded.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:59 PM   #187 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Old 08-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #188 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
paint the Centurion bright safety yellow.
My mom has a 1971 Opel GT in an eye-searing shade of bright yellow for the exact safety reason you stated. If you can't make it big, make it bright.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #189 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
My mom has a 1971 Opel GT in an eye-searing shade of bright yellow for the exact safety reason you stated. If you can't make it big, make it bright.
Ah Ha! Did you perhaps sneak a peek at:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/393067-post44.html

~CrazyJerry

Last edited by changzuki; 08-03-2018 at 11:10 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to changzuki For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 06:27 PM   #190 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
safety

In the early 70s,CAR and DRIVER,or one of the other mags did an article about high-conspicuity research done by BMW.
They ended up with interwoven pastel colors of disturbing geometric shapes which looked unstable,as balancing-boulders 'n such.
Even in fog,the human eye picked right up on the car.

changzuki (08-20-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
urba centurion