Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #221 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Note, there were only 4 cars over 100mpg with no Insights among them.
Lol, I'm sure you're right, but you're missing the intent of my post.

Since I don't drive to work on a closed course every day, those track numbers (although freaking awesome) are kind of meaningless to me. I want to know what that Centurion will do in traffic, tank to tank, in the world where all of actually drive in every day, and I've been dying to see some fuel logs for it since I joined ecomodder

A buddy mine and his dad are getting ready to build one, I already sent him the link to the posts here.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #222 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
Lol, I'm sure you're right, but you're missing the intent of my post.

Since I don't drive to work on a closed course every day, those track numbers (although freaking awesome) are kind of meaningless to me. I want to know what that Centurion will do in traffic, tank to tank, in the world where all of actually drive in every day, and I've been dying to see some fuel logs for it since I joined ecomodder

A buddy mine and his dad are getting ready to build one, I already sent him the link to the posts here.
I drive to work almost daily with Centurion. There's an entire college and towns that are witness to it and it's mentioned in the press release. The 30 mile out-n-back closed course to work I drive on is likely much different than each person's closed course driving route so the numbers and route is likely not representative of your own drive. So, are the numbers from this drive even relevant? Your drive is not my drive so where's the relevance? When car racer's race, do they combine results from two separate/different tracks on on opposite sides of the country the same day under different conditions? No.

The GGP course however is a constant for everyone who is willing to participate on said day. so I believe it makes for a better comparison. There are less variables there and we all competed under the same conditions. If my numbers were artificially high - then so should all the results be.

I'd like for those who actually attended the 2014 GGP to come forth and admit that their mpg numbers on that day were way out of line as Sendler is suggesting. Any takers?

Following the thread, Centurion has consistently been subjected to changes - changes that have affected it's fuel economy - hence the long pulse-n-glide two year thread. These changes take time. Each run is mostly exclusive to the changes made and therefore not consistent to one completed/no more changes project. In fact, Centurion is nearly six months ahead of all ecomodder postings to allow time for testing. Right now, it's not even the same car it was during the Green Grand Prix - "major changes" were made starting the week after the Green Grand Prix. I've set a couple more targets for Centurion that may be out of reach but I'd still like to give it a whirl. So, until a final build is completed, a fuel log is not on the list although I have indicated numbers along the way, be it on the car's fenders or in text.

~CrazyJerry

Last edited by changzuki; 08-03-2018 at 11:04 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to changzuki For This Useful Post:
BobS (10-09-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #223 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Can't wait to see the fuel log when you complete it!

I think I've checked at least once a week to see if you've started one since I've been coming here

The Following User Says Thank You to cowmeat For This Useful Post:
sendler (09-27-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #224 (permalink)
Growin a stash

Personally, I don't care whether Jerry gets 185 or 187 mpg. The difference is probably a couple potholes. He's so far beyond the rest of the field...

2024 Chevy Bolt

Previous:
2015 Nissan Leaf S, 164 mpge

Last edited by ME_Andy; 09-27-2014 at 11:54 AM..
Old 09-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #225 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME_Andy View Post
Personally, I don't care whether changzuki gets 185 or 187 mpg. The difference is probably a couple potholes.
There are ways to get more accuracy and resolution than the methods used in the GGP but it is beyond the scope of the event.

Sendler's original argument is valid but has very little to do with what the GGP is trying to do - showcase the cars and drivers. And with Centurion's small, cylindrical tank, the volume change is much smaller than Sendler's napkin calculations. If there are any doubters, they can meet Changzuki at next year's event and measure the mass of the fuel tank before and after along with the use of an accurate GPS. This was the method used by the AutoXprize and should be more than enough to verify Centurion's 200mpg status.
The Following User Says Thank You to RustyLugNut For This Useful Post:
BobS (10-10-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #226 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck View Post
Evidently, it's not as easy as one would think.

Here's the spread sheet from the GGP.

http://diesel-bike.com/Centurion/GGP..._sort_edit.pdf

Note, there were only 4 cars over 100mpg with no Insights among them.

>
Look at the previous year. C. Michael Lewis did 130 mpg on the track in a beat up old Insight. Using every competition trick in the book no doubt but nonetheless, that is what he posted. Competition conditions don't represent daily driving.
We had to wait for a tractor operator to come pull him out when the freshly grassed field sank everyone to the axles during the hailstorm that came through while we were having dinner.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #227 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by changzuki View Post
[B]I drive to work almost daily with Centurion. .
So why wouldn't you want to keep a fuel log all this time which Ecomodder has conveniently provided right here to find out what economy you really get?
Old 09-27-2014, 11:37 PM   #228 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Look at the previous year. C. Michael Lewis did 130 mpg on the track in a beat up old Insight. Using every competition trick in the book no doubt but nonetheless, that is what he posted. Competition conditions don't represent daily driving.
We had to wait for a tractor operator to come pull him out when the freshly grassed field sank everyone to the axles during the hailstorm that came through while we were having dinner.

Well thankfully this year's Green Grand Prix Stage 1 was not an off-road competition. I had no problem staying on the track...
WAIT - WHAT IS THIS!!! Oh look, it's not just that one Sendler: Reviewing this year's footage from Centurion's on-board cameras, clearly the red insights are not suited for the rigors of the Green Grand Prix. Bwah-ha-ha-ha!

~CrazyJerry

Last edited by changzuki; 08-03-2018 at 11:05 PM..
Old 09-27-2014, 11:46 PM   #229 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
There are ways to get more accuracy and resolution than the methods used in the GGP but it is beyond the scope of the event.

Sendler's original argument is valid but has very little to do with what the GGP is trying to do - showcase the cars and drivers. And with Centurion's small, cylindrical tank, the volume change is much smaller than Sendler's napkin calculations. If there are any doubters, they can meet Changzuki at next year's event and measure the mass of the fuel tank before and after along with the use of an accurate GPS. This was the method used by the AutoXprize and should be more than enough to verify Centurion's 200mpg status.
Sendlers original argument of volume change / thermal expansion is irrelevant to Centurion's fuel tank. There is no heat returning from the engine to the tank as he suggests. Zero - zippo - goose egg. The only heat the fuel tank could've absorbed was from Sheepdog 44's head since it was right behind him.

~CrazyJerry

~CrazyJerry
The Following User Says Thank You to changzuki For This Useful Post:
BobS (10-10-2014)
Old 09-28-2014, 12:55 AM   #230 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by changzuki View Post
Sendlers original argument of volume change / thermal expansion is irrelevant to Centurion's fuel tank. There is no heat returning from the engine to the tank as he suggests. Zero - zippo - goose egg. The only heat the fuel tank could've absorbed was from Sheepdog 44's head since it was right behind him.

~CrazyJerry

~CrazyJerry
I don't know, he seems like a smart guy...

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
urba centurion