Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee55 View Post
I did notice a drop in oil.
Keep checking often until you have a good idea of how much oil it consumes.

Quote:
A phone call to Vauxhall tech told me, you can't use Bio diesel.
They have to follow the official line : no biodiesel.
If you go BD, you're on you're own.
Then again, with a car that's pushing 11 years, you don't really expect anything from the manufacurer anymore

According to the manual, my V50 can't take more than 5% BD.
Too bad we're already at 5% BD in regular diesel, and the idea is to increase that to 7,5% or even 10%

Quote:
Should I block the top grill?
Definitely give it a try with a temporary set-up, especially as it's not really going over the radiator.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

In general, turbocharged cars respond better to exhaust mods than intake mods. So you may be able to get better performance if you free up the exhaust flow, both before and after the turbo.

-soD
Old 02-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello, my fuel pump is a Bosch VP44. Found this Frybrid Vegetable Oil Fuel Systems -- VP44 Injection Pump and its Weaknesses

Mike
Old 02-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee55 View Post
Hello, my fuel pump is a Bosch VP44. Found this Frybrid Vegetable Oil Fuel Systems -- VP44 Injection Pump and its Weaknesses

Mike
Then you definitely don't want to use vegetable oil. Biodiesel, on the other hand, would work very well in your vehicle. No manufacturer is going to tell you it's ok for liability reasons, but all diesels built before DPFs perform with excellence on ASTM or EN spec biodiesel.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Go ahead and block the upper grille, then experiment with how much the lower can be safely covered. You may make a permanent block which will be good in the summer, and a removeable section for winter.
Tip #1: Start from the sides and move towards the center.
Tip #2: Leave the IC uncovered, if possible.

You can also make a full grille block which is openable, that way it can be fully closed while the engine is warming up, then open only when needed. Mine has two openings - one for the radiator and one for the intercooler - each controlled by a switch in the cockpit

Re biodiesel: Peugeot allows no more than 5% BD in their HDi turbodiesels (I have the same exact lump as Euromodder, BTW), while at the same time Citroën (the other half of PSA) allows 30% in those same HDi's. Go figure

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 02-14-2011, 04:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for all you help. Ive re installed the paper filter, put the box back together. Have used a metal flexible hose from the lower grill to the air box. Also have stuck some loudspeaker deadening pads, ( aluminium coating?), on the air box on the hot side, near the engine, thinking to reflect heat away from the air box. Might help??? I have sealed up the top grill, its raining and night time, so no pics. I'll test drive tomorrow, to see if it gets hot. I'm not sure about Bio fuel, but will need more convincing on that one. Its got stock alloy wheels to make it look nice, but they need a repaint, so I'd be looking at pizza pans! Can't wait.

Cheers

Mike
Old 02-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Fizz - '06 Skoda Fabia Combi
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 56.62 mpg (US)
I haven't yet experimented with grille blocks on this car, but I reckon the top grille is largely cosmetic. Unfortunately I have not yet found a way of getting "live" mpg with this engine.

A diesel should not need any cranking, well not beyond 2 revolutions maybe, so if you're having to crank its a bad sign - and on this engine you might find that parking uphill, or with a low fuel tank, it gets worse. Leakoff pipes are the culprit. See this forum post:

2.0 and 2.2 Dti Diesels all models no start
Old 02-15-2011, 04:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Some pics to see

Hello again.
Some pics
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
http://img267.imageshack.us/i/inletj.jpg/
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

We went out tonight, I did about 40 miles total, and kept under 2000rpm. Top speed 50 mph. Temperature rose to about 83 peak 80 average. Looking at the fuel gauge, it didn't budge. Not sure if I should block some of the lower vent?
But even without proper numbers, its nice to see the needle tell me I've used less fuel

Mike
Old 02-16-2011, 01:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Now that's much better!

Now you can start blocking the lower grille from the sides. Maybe a sliding piece that will block/unblock the middle? Just don't cover the air intake!
Or maybe the air intake tube could be shortened so it doesn't span the radiator?

As for the temps, they look OK. My thermostat starts to open around 86°, but when hypermiling my turbodiesel the coolant barely gets to 78°-80°, so that's a little cold. Blocking everything gets it to 88°-93°. As ConnClark and comptiger5000 noted,
Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
Diesels like cold air and hot coolant. Most modern diesels use 195* thermostats, a few even use 203* (common performance mod on powerstrokes). In a diesel, the hotter engine burns fuel better, giving better power and mpg, as long as the intake charge is cool enough.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 02-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello again. There is talk of keeping the Inter-Cooler cool? Seeing as part of it is hidden behind the front bumper, would a hole here, be viable?ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
Maybe, make it look pretty, too?
Should I fetch a drill?

Mike

Reply  Post New Thread