Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2014, 01:53 PM   #71 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ZForce - '13 Zero motorcycles S ZF11.4
I have been looking at truck / trailer lights actually. I don't care what the sockets are as I will likely just make new socket connections where I need them.

Vehicle Safety Light| LED Lights - Peterson Manufacturing Company
Grote Industries: Product #01-5444-71 - High-Mount Stop/Turn Clearance or ID Lamp
Grote Industries: Product #53582 - Red, Stop/Tail/Turn

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-01-2014, 07:56 AM   #72 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

aluminum is easy to bend

"Bending 1/8" aluminum, I imagine even 3000 serious, would be pretty hard for a nearly 4' bend. So I was thinking. What would be stronger. Bending the aluminum in a large radius (like over 1/2"), welding extruded 1" angle to the edge that needs it on the top of the plate. or simply fastening the extruded 1" angle to the edge with machine screws as well."

i spent 10 minutes looking through your blog and did not see your reference. didn't have time to watch all your videos.
so I'll just say aluminum is very easy to bend, especially if you anneal it by heatin it up.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #73 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ZForce - '13 Zero motorcycles S ZF11.4
One week closer to completing mockup | Call Me Burton

Second image down shows roughly what I am making. There are some new posts I just added a couple minutes ago with aluminum parts list and in it I have some 3000 series aluminum for the seat pan given I don't want to have to anneal 6000 series to get it to bend.

Thanks for input though. I really wish you were in VA so I could inquire as to where you get your metal
The Following User Says Thank You to Burton For This Useful Post:
jkv357 (06-01-2014)
Old 06-01-2014, 02:08 PM   #74 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

aluminum supplies

I saw your blog post but was too lazy to post on your blog
I get my metal from easternmetal.com
they are probably half the price of what ever place you got the prices from, but they require a $250 minimum order for delivery if you are within their truck delivery area. and delivery is FREE.
also they Chrage $15 a cut and everythign is stock 24 ft long,
you'd probably pay about the same, but have a lot of left over material for some other welding project.

I'd also stick with 1/16th wall aluminum skin .090" is much thicker than needed.

If you don't have any luck with eastern, I can cut down that material and ship it to you UPS, just call 704 726 9788

for a list of other suppliers of AL see this
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?254291-Where-do-you-buy-your-Aluminum-from-List-of-bulk-wholesalers
Old 06-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #75 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

dont pay more than $3 / lb.

Aluminum is a commodity so the price fluctuates, but as a general rule of thumb, it is $2.50 to $3.00 a pound when you are buying in "small" quantities of less than a thousand pounds at a time.

Most online metal companies charge $6 to $10 per pound of aluminum because they need to cover labor to cut it, and the hassle and expense of inventory of odd cut offs.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #76 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hyosung - '07 Hyosung gt250r
90 day: 55.49 mpg (US)

Burgman - '07 Burgman 650 k7
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminumwelder View Post
I saw your blog post but was too lazy to post on your blog
I get my metal from easternmetal.com
they are probably half the price of what ever place you got the prices from, but they require a $250 minimum order for delivery if you are within their truck delivery area. and delivery is FREE.
also they Chrage $15 a cut and everythign is stock 24 ft long,
you'd probably pay about the same, but have a lot of left over material for some other welding project.

I'd also stick with 1/16th wall aluminum skin .090" is much thicker than needed.

If you don't have any luck with eastern, I can cut down that material and ship it to you UPS, just call 704 726 9788

for a list of other suppliers of AL see this
Where do you buy your Aluminum from? List of bulk wholesalers
I paid $2.50/lb for the aluminum rectangular bar and $35 for .020" (3' by 10') (~24guage?) and $65 for .032" (4'by8'). A little more than the the guy quoted above.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:50 PM   #77 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Some of this is getting a bit complicated, more so than need be. The top view of the bike can be tear drop or wing profile with the overall length being 3-5 times the maximum width. The initial angle at the seat back could be less (2-5 degrees) for the first foot back and then taper more to the point. With a 24 in width, 5:1 gives a 120 in. overall length. If you can keep the shape to combinations of conic surfaces, the skin developments are relatively simple.

My favorite shape is from a sailplane design, the SZD-9 bis Bocian 1E.
www.vintagesailplaner.com/Sheet1bis-9.pdf
I truncate or taper the tail to the No. 6 bulkhead length. I scale the canopy profile to come to the top of the shoulder. The nice thing about this design is the fact all curves are combinations of arcs.

Last edited by Grant-53; 06-26-2014 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: Add reference
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
electric, motorcycle, vetter, vetterizing