Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2008, 09:16 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Minded

Lunar Mist - '02 Toyota Tacoma SR5
90 day: 25.31 mpg (US)

Silver Streak - '08 Toyota Corolla S
90 day: 38.25 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Chris D.
its a deal breaker for me.. I have to row gears..

how come your EV doesnt show your converted mpg in the graph below?
Mite want to add your factory EPA ratings in there just to do it..

I would..

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-13-2008, 10:43 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'm sure the Prius isn't for everyone. All I was trying to suggest is that if the Bay Area is any indication, the Prius is enough for enough people that it may be changing perceptions and the Volt may not be required in order to get more people to go green(er). Besides, the Prius is, I think, just the tip of the spear. Honda is making another big push in this area and I think you'll see hybrid technology move into larger cars/trucks. I'm not sure existing hybrid technology is the same technology we'll see ten years from now, but whatever is being used by whatever proactive company, it will be used in a wider range of vehicles than it currently is, I'm pretty sure.

--Steve
Old 04-13-2008, 11:25 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Minded

the majority of those Prius cars you see in the bay are from commuters from the other side of the altamont..

but the cost of livings sky rocketed to where you have alot more
driving to do to make the money and live comfy for the most part..

One thing I've thought about in hybrids is what if that electric engine
thats sandwhiched between the trans and engine goes out?

mite be more than its worth to replace it?
Lots of un standardized parts under the hood of those cars..

Old 04-13-2008, 11:52 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

The current gen prius is a midsize car according to the EPA and therefore in the same class with the Accord and Camry. I'm 6'2" and i fit perfectly comfortably both in the front and rear seats.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/compx...Field=Findacar
The front seat cabin space is much larger than a toyota tacoma for example in every dimension.

The Volt's 40 mile full electric range is enough for 90% of the population 90% of the time. That means if you drive 40 miles or less per day, you never have to get gas and your fuel cost is 1-2 cents per mile depending on your local utility price. The rest of the time its a gas electric hybrid. Works for me and a lot of other people.

An electric motor is far more reliable than any internal combustion engine. It only has 1 moving part and 2 lubrication points. Hybrids have been on the road for almost 10 years now and I've never heard of one going bad. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Electric motors in pumps, elevators, machine tools etc, have been known to work day in and day out for 100 years.

Last edited by tjts1; 04-14-2008 at 12:04 AM..
Old 04-14-2008, 12:02 AM   #25 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post

An electric motor is far more reliable than any internal combustion engine. Hybrids have been on the road for almost 10 years now and I've never heard of one going bad. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The factory warranty for the Prius is 8 years/100,000 miles on the hybrid system.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Chris D.,

I live in the mid-Peninsula area and rarely drive during regular commute times. The majority of Priuses *I see* are likely not from the other side of the Altamont pass, and may not even be used as commuting vehicles. This morning I ran an errand that took me about 25 minutes (each way). About half was on a freeway (280) where I couldn't see oncoming traffic and was travelling with a group of cars that didn't have much "turnover"--that is, I tended to be with the same cars during the time I was on the freeway (so I didn't see a lot of different cars).

Nevertheless, I counted 15 Prius's on the way to my destination, 17 on the way back. That's one every two minutes or so. This is about what I think I see at other times, although this is the first time I've actually gone to the trouble of counting.

My only point being that they are far from rare, and really are common enough that I wouldn't even call them a novelty any more. In contrast, I only noticed two Hummers (good!), several Porsches, and maybe about the same number of BMWs as Priuses. Again, I recognize that, in my area, the emphasis on being green is likely higher than in other parts of the country, but, on the other hand, it is often the case that things start in California and spread to other parts of the country.

Also, a couple of years ago (I think before Toyota really ramped up production), Priuses were so popular they were selling for several thousand $ above sticker and lead times were a couple of months if you wanted one.

--Steve
Old 04-14-2008, 03:18 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Minded

great observation Steve..

These cars are truely gaining acceptance.. Now if they threw a manual option in there, guess what would be in my driveway with a 100mpg decal on the bumper

honestly, thats all thats holding me back from owning one.. (5 speed option)
I already know how I want to set mine up as far as ascetics go.. (different wheels tho)

Sorry for the off topic, back to your regularly scheduled program..

Old 04-14-2008, 07:52 PM   #28 (permalink)
Yaris Cruiser

The prius can't be that small.... I'm 6'2" and weigh 330, and I fit in a Yaris for crying out loud... people need to quit there *****ing and realize they don't need a Hummer sized vehicle to commute to the office.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:14 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsimpson83 View Post
The prius can't be that small.... I'm 6'2" and weigh 330, and I fit in a Yaris for crying out loud... people need to quit there *****ing and realize they don't need a Hummer sized vehicle to commute to the office.
great quote!

Reply  Post New Thread