Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #21 (permalink)
Easter McoModder

'99 Subaru OLL 2.5L - '99 Subaru Outback Legacy Limited
90 day: 22.57 mpg (US)

Rabbit - '08 VW Rabbit S
90 day: 32.93 mpg (US)
This car is quite possibly the greatest thing to ever happen. I think with a little refining, this could be big.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '03 Chrysler Town & Country mini van all white
To come back after so many years, this Buick deserves a reward!!! Seems to me that in these high-price-gas days attitudes are changing a lot. People are driving almost as much but with more thought involved (many trips at once) and lots more understanding or acceptance of human pedal power.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouMan View Post
I don't understand why they didn't choose a lighter car like a geo metro or something,
still can sit 4 pedellers ( never thought I'd ever say that and be a lot lighter and less strenuous and probley get up to 25mph. (that would be sweet)
I'm sure you can figure out why: they wanted to attract attention to themselves, including that of the law enforcement authorities.

And they did. And so, they achieved their purpose.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:15 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
I'm sure you can figure out why: they wanted to attract attention to themselves.
I bet they could have done it a lot easier than with all those heavy Buick parts. I found this photo on FordAspire.com - Festiva Kia Avella Forums Economy Cars Fuel Savings Sub Compact Sport Small 1997 1994 1995 1996 Modify Customized Pictures Repairs Mazda Club Racing (junk minicooper top, drop the car and that is an eye-catching Aspire!
Old 04-26-2011, 11:29 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

WHOA! That did not work out right! Went to Aspire <home> and didn't show the photo. Oopsie! The photo I sent was an Aspire: chopped top with about 3" tall windows with a Mini top and a custom green/silver. Oh well; use your imagination!
Old 04-26-2011, 11:47 PM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Jordan View Post
I bet they could have done it a lot easier than with all those heavy Buick parts. I found this photo on FordAspire.com - Festiva Kia Avella Forums Economy Cars Fuel Savings Sub Compact Sport Small 1997 1994 1995 1996 Modify Customized Pictures Repairs Mazda Club Racing (junk minicooper top, drop the car and that is an eye-catching Aspire!
You still are missing the point: The big old Buick could not be ignored. It was the hulking, steel elephant drifting (unmotorized) down main street.

"The mediium IS the message."

When an elephant camps out on your doorstep, and he has decided to do so for a purpose, it is impossible to ignore his being there.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #27 (permalink)
Easter McoModder

'99 Subaru OLL 2.5L - '99 Subaru Outback Legacy Limited
90 day: 22.57 mpg (US)

Rabbit - '08 VW Rabbit S
90 day: 32.93 mpg (US)
that's a good point.

i think i would be more impressed if this wasn't their "point", though.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

How fast would you and/or 3 others have to pedal to turn a flywheel in order to charge/or keep charged a bank of batteries comparable to the capacity of, say a prius or volt or even a leaf? In other words, in this case the pedals would not be directly connected to the wheels.

(You can probably deduce what i'm trying to get at here) In effect, we've created a human-powered hybrid.

Overnite and at work plug and solar panels are allowed and encouraged in this case.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #29 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUspectra View Post
Jumping in late on this one, but I can understand the police officer's concern. Being that it looks like an automobile, another driver may mistake it for a "normal" car. His concern was that they go through the next intersection and get hit by another (or should I say A car) car, and they are all injured and/or dead... there were no seat belts or anything. Glad they won their case though! Hope they stay safe!
Agreed !
Old 06-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Pinbacker View Post
How fast would you and/or 3 others have to pedal to turn a flywheel in order to charge/or keep charged a bank of batteries comparable to the capacity of, say a prius or volt or even a leaf? In other words, in this case the pedals would not be directly connected to the wheels.

(You can probably deduce what i'm trying to get at here) In effect, we've created a human-powered hybrid.

Overnite and at work plug and solar panels are allowed and encouraged in this case.
But at that point it becomes a motorized vehicle (as opposed to merely being a human powered, sophisticated form of a pedal car). Unless the solar powered electrical system is only providing lighting and audio entertainment...

Once a vehicle has a motor of any sort, it is subject to being regulated and licensed as a motor vehicle.

Reply  Post New Thread