Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2015, 03:41 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,199 Times in 4,637 Posts
raised hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
Oh, really? I wasn't aware it didn't work out for him.

IMO the mural should have been a rabbit.

It also should be asked- why the Rabbit Pickup? There are tons of other efficient starting points that would arguably be easier to modify, and less historically significant (I mean, Caddies are real collector cars now).

Honda CRX HF, Civic VX, CX & HX, Insight, Geo Metro XFi, Toyota Prius and any number of small, manual shift economy cars like a Toyota Tercel or Saturn SC.
It will be a year from this coming September before I'll have any real numbers for the hood blister.
Sealing the cowl gap made no difference at Bonneville,although I never actually got to top speed so it's hard to tell.
She flowed good in the wind tunnel and I doubt that it hurts anything.And I'm seeing it on a lot of cars,SUVs,and pickups.
It does appear to get the side flow near the side-view mirrors closer to road velocity,out of the A-pillar blast.

Sven7 (06-09-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-09-2015, 04:02 PM   #52 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I had a crx hf 1989 and I love it but I sold it to help pay for college , I got it for 500 threw some rattle paint on it and sold it for 1000. The rabbit has the perfect storage for my life style, I am sum what a farmer I breed rabbits to sell the meat, I have 30 females I breed and at any given time I have 100-250 rabbits to butcher, the truck is perfect for hauling feed and a few bails of alpha, I like driving rare cars you don t see, I have only seen one rabbit truck on the road in my life and the truck hauls tools good when I go fix friends cars. My daily right now is a 1989 Lincoln town car signature series special editon with white leather interior candy Apple paint huge stereo system I am selling the car to fund the rabbit project and a guy put a deposit on it for 100 bucks and for three weekend s in a row he has not showed up to get it so I am thinking I have to sell it to some else. But another thing about the rabbit is I got a hundred furs in the freezer to do a full rabbit fur interior I think it will look pretty sexy.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:51 PM   #53 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Little bit of the story on the rabbit I got it in Alabama it had 70 thousand miles Sat in a shed for a lot of years only rust on the car is in the floor pans
Old 06-09-2015, 04:56 PM   #54 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I don't want to change the lines to much on the car, yea the boat tail works amazing but I think it is hideous lol and makes the truck bed les functional
Old 06-09-2015, 05:31 PM   #55 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,199 Times in 4,637 Posts
the lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakybassturd69 View Post
I don't want to change the lines to much on the car, yea the boat tail works amazing but I think it is hideous lol and makes the truck bed les functional
If you're going to putt around at low speeds,then the shape won't mean as much.If however,you're going to drive at real highway speeds,then the lines of the VW are the most important factor for mpg.
My gasoline pickup is more fuel efficient than your Diesel at 80-mph,and it's much larger and much heavier.And typically,my fuel is cheaper than diesel.
If you're really serious about mpg then you're gonna have to think inside the curve.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:55 PM   #56 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

What mpg are you getting
Old 06-09-2015, 06:43 PM   #57 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

It is definitely more effective at 80 one of the main reasons is the rabbit can't go 80 lol I got to run the guts out of it to go 70
Old 06-09-2015, 10:14 PM   #58 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,546 Times in 7,035 Posts
With an aerocap your top speed will go up. The drag is holding you back now. It will coast better too.

On the hood blister, compare these two pix—aerohead's T-100 and some random Ferrrari:

It looks like the thing is to have it the full width of the windshield instead of just the middle 3/4ths.

Quote:
I can understand wanting to keep an older car on the road. I think the Rabbit diesel is a fine chose. The [ex-]president of the local VW club has one. It's painted orange with purple wheels. To each his own.

You can work with the existing rear fender arches by using something like a '57 Merc Turnpike Cruiser fender skirt. There's a Civic or something around here that has them. They deliver a clean contour right to the separation line.

The pic I need is probably gone in a hard drive crash, but it shows that a tail that is flat on top and curved in on the sides, which are fully transparent, offers excellent visibility sightlines. But vortexes roll off the top onto the side. So my solution would be a Gothic arch that stands above the tailgate about 3' wide and 3 1/2' tall. The roof peak would run to a point just behind the windshield header. There would be a triangular cap back to the C-pillar.

While it would be removable, you could also have flip-up hatches on the sides or ultimately, butterfly doors:

Old 06-10-2015, 08:24 AM   #59 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
70k miles on a rust free body? With a DIESEL?

Now I'm going to recommend just four mods, keeping the body original:

1. Aero cap

2. Teardrop wheels

3. Zender air dam

4. Passenger side mirror delete

And keep that thing well-maintained and preserved. (Please no winter driving!!)
The Following User Says Thank You to Sven7 For This Useful Post:
Sneakybassturd69 (06-10-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #60 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,520 Times in 2,794 Posts
What about turbocharging this diesel? Its non turbo, correct?
Turbocharging will give you a 10% to 20% increase in fuel economy and power.

The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
UFO (06-10-2015)
Reply  Post New Thread