Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Buncha party poopers!

You're going to ruin my chance to get rich quick! ... By driving slowly past the special speed cameras. All. Day. Long.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
The only thing that worries me about being observed is the money being wasted observing my driving. If that would make other drivers show similar consideration for me and the rest of the conscientious drivers and maybe reduce the overall risk of trying to get from point A to B then have at it.

The idea of the large SUV driver that was tailgating everyone of I64 west at a distance of less than 10 feet at 65 MPH being ticketed and fined a few hundred dollars before she kills some innocent person and maybe her own dumb arse is very appealing to me, and it is a public place.

regards
Mech
Old 11-24-2010, 07:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
The PRC.

Useless. I could clone your numberplate to inflate the stats and claim the prize. Why rely on something as unreliable as the plate ?

My cousin had a car which was 6 months overdue for an MOT. It was safe as her hubby (a race mechanic) looks after it but this is illegal - a mistake. She never got pulled over.

However after she got her MOT sorted she was hit by a driver and noted the reg no, took photos etc. Turns out this was a correct reg plate, but at the time the real car with the plate was 300 miles away - the car that hit her was not insured and the plate was a copy.

This is not unusual.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
The idea of the large SUV driver that was tailgating everyone of I64 west at a distance of less than 10 feet at 65 MPH being ticketed and fined a few hundred dollars before she kills some innocent person and maybe her own dumb arse is very appealing to me, and it is a public place.

regards
Mech
This would be a useful use of cameras. I read something about cameras on the unrestricted sections of the German Autobahn (no higher accident stats BTW for those for who speed kills) where they targeted tailgaters specifically.

Target safety, not something that just earns money.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
I don't think there is an automated way of identifying a tailgater. Besides how could you get the front plate on car that close behind.

I had a friend who used ballbearings He would drop them when someone got too close behind his motorcycle. He claimed it was very effective. A neat way might be to put a couple of pockets under the back of your car that you could release what ever you needed to.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
Old 11-24-2010, 08:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
This would be a useful use of cameras. I read something about cameras on the unrestricted sections of the German Autobahn (no higher accident stats BTW for those for who speed kills) where they targeted tailgaters specifically.

Target safety, not something that just earns money.
I read that they use cameras on the Autobahns and photograph vehicles that are tailgating by using two stripes across the road. If the car behind another vehicle is less than the distance between the two stripes the camera takes a photo and the drive gets a ticket. The fine is based on ability to pay and one driver was fined $35,000 for tailgating!

Being a multi-millionaire can have it's disadvantages, but I would think it might actually discourage the behavior, especially at that price.

regards Mech
Old 11-25-2010, 11:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
downhill both ways

Terceleporter - '96 Toyota Tercel STD
90 day: 52.6 mpg (US)
I'm really surprised that our highways here in the US don't have automated speeding ticket issuing systems. It would be trivially easy to implement with the road stripes and camera type system. And the capture rate would be ridiculously high compared to troopers in vehicles.

Maybe they are waiting to leapfrog such installations when all cars are position-aware and linked to networks?

I don't want either of these things to happen, but I'm surprised they haven't yet.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

RaceJeep - '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 5.9 Limited
90 day: 13.62 mpg (US)
Around here, cops are more worried about catching people who are speeding significantly, or are being dangerous than catching every vehicle who speeds. Unlike a camera, a human can detect when a person may be drunk, or is otherwise a danger to the cars around them.

Typical driving: Back in Rochester for school, driving is 60 - 70% city
Old 11-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
I'm really surprised that our highways here in the US don't have automated speeding ticket issuing systems.
They are unnecessary and solve nothing - regardless of what politicians claim.
Portugal had a very dramatic increase in road safety without installing many camera's.

Our papers are full of perfectly survivable incidents that become fatal accidents. If everybody in Belgium wore their seatbelts, traffic fatalities would be around 25-30% lower. What camera detects seatbelt usage

Old 11-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

RSX2fast4mpg - '02 Acura RSX Type S
90 day: 38.22 mpg (US)

bubbatrucker - '98 Chevrolet K1500
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
I was listening to NPR a while back and there was a study that showed that if I city used red light cameras only at high risk intersections, they had a dramatic effect on reducing accidents at the intersection. However, if they had them at nearly every intersection, the effect dropped off to levels prior to their installation.

People are willing to slow down and drive safe for short periods of time, but they're just not going to change their driving habits completely. Speed cameras, if used, should be limited to school zones, areas with a lot of pedestrian traffic, and areas with high numbers of accidents; not as a blanket program to slow everyone down.

Reply  Post New Thread