Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2019, 04:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
access

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Looking at the Supercharger map tells a different story. Yes you can cross the country using the network - if you are happy to only travel roads that Tesla has installed chargers. If you want to get off the beaten path you are out of luck.

In Oregon you can travel I-5, I-85, and 101. The other 2/3rds of the state is off limits. I know a couple that both own a Model X and they choose their travel based on access to chargers.
When I was in Kansas City test-driving the Model S,the Tesla folks there said they were installing 13-Supercharger stations a day,and that,ultimately,there'd be a station every 134-miles.
Rome wasn't built in a day.And when gasoline automobiles first came out,there were neither paved roads,nor gas stations available.
It will take time,and the scientists say we've got a little,so maybe it will turn out okay.I probably won't live long enough to know.

Last edited by aerohead; 04-03-2019 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: correction
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (04-04-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-03-2019, 04:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Quote:
Looking at the Supercharger map tells a different story. Yes you can cross the country using the network - if you are happy to only travel roads that Tesla has installed chargers. If you want to get off the beaten path you are out of luck.

In Oregon you can travel I-5, I-85, and 101. The other 2/3rds of the state is off limits. I know a couple that both own a Model X and they choose their travel based on access to chargers.
Well don't forget highway 22/20. The other 2/3 of the state sucks anyhow, and not many people visit those areas. I've been to one of the "inaccessible" places, Burns, once in my lifetime. Looks like Burns is scheduled to get a Supercharger.

Montana looks particularly sparse.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 06:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Rome wasn't built in a day. And when gasoline automobiles first came out,there were neither paved roads,nor gas stations available...
True, the charging network is getting better day by day. The biggest issue is the fractional nature of it. CCS is the adopted standard plug in the USA but Tesla and Nissan continue to make cars with different plugs. That means the charging network is a hodgepodge of 4 different plug types.

Then there is the fact that most charging networks don't accept credit cards. Instead you have to download an app, join their network, put a minimum amount on the account (usually $20). That is all before you can charge your car.

None of this helps the adoption of EVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Well don't forget highway 22/20. The other 2/3 of the state sucks anyhow, and not many people visit those areas. I've been to one of the "inaccessible" places, Burns, once in my lifetime. Looks like Burns is scheduled to get a Supercharger.

Montana looks particularly sparse.
The chargers in Detroit are new since a last looked. So now my friends can finally go to Bend.

The other 2/3rds of the state is AWESOME. Great hiking, fishing, rafting, riding. Yes, you can do those things around the Portland metro but you will be doing it with 10 of your best buddies you have never seen before.

Too many people in PDX like to get outdoors. It is near impossible to find a campsite within 2 hours of PDX on a Friday evening unless you skip out of work early.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-06-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 06:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
The chargers in Detroit are new since a last looked. So now my friends can finally go to Bend.

The other 2/3rds of the state is AWESOME. Great hiking, fishing, rafting, riding. Yes, you can do those things around the Portland metro but you will be doing it with 10 of your best buddies you have never seen before.

Too many people in PDX like to get outdoors. It is near impossible to find a campsite within 2 hours of PDX on a Friday evening unless you skip out of work early.
The 6 chargers have been in the town of 900 since 2013. Back then I just chuckled wondering what Tesla was thinking. The Model S had been out for just a year. I'm sure they are getting more use now.

Agreed about outdoors being crowded in the Portland area, though there's still some less traveled stuff... I grew up in Salem, so most of my outdoor areas are infrequently visited. Dozens of logging roads up highway 22. I had never paid to camp until a few years ago when I visited Yellowstone. I didn't even realize that was much of a thing and was pretty upset to pay $20 for a concrete pad in a crowded desert campsite. The camp administrator yelled at me for grabbing a broken twig that was hanging by a thread from a tree to use as a roasting stick. He threatened to send me to federal prison. Good thing he didn't see the dead tree I pushed over and hacked into firewood.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
The 6 chargers have been in the town of 900 since 2013. Back then I just chuckled wondering what Tesla was thinking. The Model S had been out for just a year. I'm sure they are getting more use now.
You sure about that? Those friends I mentioned didn't know they existed and they own Teslas. We've talked about going to Bend but they said they would have to drive down to Eugene and over or over to the Dalles and down.

Quote:
Agreed about outdoors being crowded in the Portland area, though there's still some less traveled stuff... I grew up in Salem, so most of my outdoor areas are infrequently visited. Dozens of logging roads up highway 22. I had never paid to camp until a few years ago when I visited Yellowstone. I didn't even realize that was much of a thing and was pretty upset to pay $20 for a concrete pad in a crowded desert campsite. The camp administrator yelled at me for grabbing a broken twig that was hanging by a thread from a tree to use as a roasting stick. He threatened to send me to federal prison. Good thing he didn't see the dead tree I pushed over and hacked into firewood.
Detroit is 3-4 hours on a Friday afternoon. It is at least an extra hour to get across Portland.

I'm talking about dispersed camping. Head towards the ocean on a Friday and you will find every little clearing off a forest road taken for miles away from 26, 6, or 53. I've only been here 4 years but the couple we camp with has been here for decades and he knows every little place to fish in NW Oregon / SW Washington.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:14 AM   #16 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

I haven't been camping much around the PDX area, but when I do it's usually on Hood. There's free camping to be found around there.

My goto in the Detroit area is up Breitenbush road.

I'm certain about the Superchargers. Actually thought they had been there longer than 6 years since it seems so long ago that I was regularly visiting the area.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
I have had 5 EV's for over 5 years, and have charged in public maybe 2 dozen times. My extended family has had 12 EV's for over 8 years, and that would probably put the number of public charging sessions up to about 50.

Public charging does need expanding and improving - mostly we need accurate real-time status information, and if we could see all the charging stations history of reliability and availability, no matter what network they are on - that would be great.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-06-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 03:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
My goto in the Detroit area is up Breitenbush road.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breitenbush_Hot_Springs This reminds me I don't get out much anymore.
Quote:
I'm certain about the Superchargers. Actually thought they had been there longer than 6 years since it seems so long ago that I was regularly visiting the area.
I remember that as well, but Google site search doesn't.

Were I in an electric tadpole, I could make it to my brother's house and recharge overnight. Then day trip to Willamina.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:50 PM   #19 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,801 Times in 938 Posts
Quote:
I found myself thinking about this last week as I crossed Pennsylvania on the turnpike, seeing exactly one Model 3 in nearly 200 miles and no Superchargers at the travel plazas. The map shows two Superchargers along that route, and you have to get off the interstate (and go through a toll plaza) to get to either of them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-10-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 03:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Most of the charging stations accessible on a 24/7 basis that I have seen here in Brazil are located in Ipiranga gas stations and use the BMW charger, but I'm not sure about their availability on a nationwide basis.

The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-13-2019)
Reply  Post New Thread