Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

VX wrong trans

Problem. After some time now and finally gathering the funds, I was able to replace a transmission on my '95 Civic VX that was totally trashed.

Yep; pretty sure the shop installed a dx/lx trans instead of a cx/vx trans. From information gathered here and other sites, the VX should read about 2000 rpms @ 60 mph...mine reads 2400. 65 is 2600 & 70 is a whopping 2850-2900. Am I not correct that the VX should be @ about 1950-2000 going 60mph?

I am sooooo annoyed that a shop didn't confirm what trans they were receiving and/or just decided that just because another trans WOULD fit that it was ok to install!

Yep. After a couple phone calls to the shop that did the work, I'll have to head in personally.
ugHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Sounds like they either get to replace it with the correct part, or pay for someone else to replace it with the correct part.

I'm sure they will argue with you, but just like if they had replaced your 1.5L engine with a 1.6L engine and told you that they were close enough, you would not be happy either, it's the wrong part, plane and simple.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Exactly. Actually the guy from the shop called me shortly after I spoke with them to tell me they just ordered the correct trans and it is being shipped! He has agreed to take care of everything...potential headache averted. But I sure do like the gearing of the 'wrong' trans around town (not so much on the highway, though). And the shift quality of this trans is pretty darned nice, too.

I did supply the shop with Honda trans fluid and will do so again. It gives me peace of mind knowing they will be using that fluid even though it's something I shouldn't have to pay for this time.

A couple questions:

1. Is there any difference in the length between gears VX/CX vs. DX/LX? I know the gearing is different, I mean the distance/throw while moving the shifter?

2. Will there be any difference in feel/shift quality or is the VX/CX inferior feeling straight from the factory compared to the other Civic models (assuming both are of similar age and condition)? I have never driven any of the other examples of Civics from '92-95,

Next up I have to do something about the handling; the body roll is terrible! THANKS!

Last edited by 379Kcivic; 09-14-2011 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 09-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

For the most part the shift feel you are feeling is most likely the new fluid causing it to shift smoother.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Super Duty - '12 Ford F250 Super Duty XLT Long Bed Super-Cab
90 day: 15.29 mpg (US)
How much is a VX or CX transmission these days ?
Both the same right?

Good Bye Insight Hello 6.7 Diesel Truck!
**My First Hybrid Insight**
Old 09-14-2011, 10:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I paid $450 for a CX/VX (or at least I thought, see post above...!) that has 79K miles and is covered by the installer for 6 months (the replacement trans I have coming has 84K). I found cheaper units, some as cheap as 300, but they had higher miles and only came with a 90 day warranty. I plan to slowly but surely restore this car and wanted to get parts that I felt pretty confident would last for several years.

**So does anyone know if the distance traveled for the shifter or 'shift throw' of a CX/VX trans would be the same as a DX/LX trans? Will the quality of the shift feel as good?
Old 09-15-2011, 08:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I think the difference in the two transmissions is in the final drive (differential) portion of the transmission. There are some better knowledgeable Honda members who can confirm or refute that belief.

regards
Mech
Old 09-15-2011, 09:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 379Kcivic View Post
I paid $450 for a CX/VX (or at least I thought, see post above...!) that has 79K miles and is covered by the installer for 6 months (the replacement trans I have coming has 84K). I found cheaper units, some as cheap as 300, but they had higher miles and only came with a 90 day warranty. I plan to slowly but surely restore this car and wanted to get parts that I felt pretty confident would last for several years.

**So does anyone know if the distance traveled for the shifter or 'shift throw' of a CX/VX trans would be the same as a DX/LX trans? Will the quality of the shift feel as good?
It should all be quite similar. It's a really tight ship. One part bolts on with the others, interchangable across the trim lines and often generations. The VX gearing is better, but it might be entirely because of the final drive gear. When I was researching the gearing a couple months ago, I noticed that some of the trans have the same gearing and make their difference with the final drive.

BTW, why not get a factory trans? As I recall, they are not a lot more pricey than this (labor excluded) and they would be new? Something I don't know about the costs or availability? Did you look into it?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

complete new transmission is $2017 Honda Automotive Parts.

Car-part.com has a few that have 10,000 miles and a whole bunch that have 50,000 miles on them.
I had my first vx transmission have the main bearing go out at 230,000 miles and I drove it for another 5,000 or so before replacing it with a $150 used, 100,000 mile transmission, my current vx has 216,000 miles on it and the transmission is very smooth and quite.
I suspect that what made my first tranny go out at 230,000 miles was the lack of mtf changes, when I bought it the owner at the time said the only thing he replaced on it for 100,000 miles was tires, exhaust and engine oil changes.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
complete new transmission is $2017 Honda Automotive Parts.
Ooops! And thanks. I'll have to check again, but I am confident you are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
I suspect that what made my first tranny go out at 230,000 miles was the lack of mtf changes.
It probably has not been changed in my car since 27,000 miles, when I bought it with a drive-train warranty from the dealer (used). But maybe not then, even. Who knows. Add that to list. Suggestions as to fluid brands?

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Reply  Post New Thread