Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Suggestions as to fluid brands?
Up until I think 1996 or so the owners manual said to use 10W30 motor oil in the manual transmissions, I have 0w30 and am very happy with it, the owners manual says to change the 10w30 motor oil every 2 years.
newer civics call for Honda MTF, looks like the price can vary quite a bit, from $17 a quart from some dealerships down to $5.75 a quart (plus shipping) online from places like Manual Transmission Fluid but if you add in the cost of shipping it comes to about $10 a quart.
From glancing at google results it looks like changing the fluid, even the Honda MTF every 30,000 miles is about right, but your owners manual should tell you for sure.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hondapartscheap.com priced a trans @ $2131+ shipping. I didn't even get the mileage on that one. And just for kicks I asked about the motor... no dice, no longer available.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
It's my understanding that the formula for regular motor oil has changed and Honda no longer recommends regular motor oil in manuals. It was some ingredient that was removed that caused the change.

regards
Mech
Old 09-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 379Kcivic View Post
**So does anyone know if the distance traveled for the shifter or 'shift throw' of a CX/VX trans would be the same as a DX/LX trans? Will the quality of the shift feel as good?
There should be no difference in the shift throw; the transmissions are pretty much the same, just with different numbers of teeth on the gears. The movement of the sliders on the shafts are what determines the shift throw and to a great extent the feel of the shifting. So IF the VX transmission is in the same condition as the DX one, it should shift the same.

-soD
Old 10-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I drive a VX and it is 2000RPM in 5th gear at 70MPH. Sounds like the shop you used is full of retards as usual. They either thought you'd be too stupid to notice or they were too stupid to pay attention to detail.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Super Duty - '12 Ford F250 Super Duty XLT Long Bed Super-Cab
90 day: 15.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
It's my understanding that the formula for regular motor oil has changed and Honda no longer recommends regular motor oil in manuals. It was some ingredient that was removed that caused the change.

regards
Mech
I believe in about 96+ or some year they mandated the reduction of Zinc and Phosphorus which greatly helps in wear reduction. They all had to be under 750ppm or so. Royal purple and Redline have over about 1200+ppm of Zinc and Phosphorus which helps engines last much longer. Because of the reduction of engine lubricating minerals and compounds it pushed car companies to build better longer lasting motors but not good for us with older cars.
If you like to add onto your regular oil they sell ZDDP additive which helps bring those levels of normal oil back up. You should check before adding anything into your oils to make sure it is compatible.

Most of all racing oil, which I use, are not labeled street legal because of dirtier emissions but in a transmission where the oil does not burn I wold totally use racing VR1 10-30 Valvoline oil which is more the likely safe still.

Here is the main reason newer oils are not ok to use.
I took this from the Valvoline site , under racing oil.

Valvoline:
Racing Oil

What are the benefits to using a racing oil versus a regular "street legal" oil?

The Valvoline VR1 Racing & "Not Street Legal" racing oils contain additional additives for increased horsepower and reduced friction on metal parts, provide extra wear protection for high compression/higher horsepower engines, and include fewer detergents than regular conventional motor oils.

What is motor oil with zinc?

The anti-wear additive simply referred to as zinc by most car enthusiasts is actually short for Zinc DialkylDithiophosphates or ZDDP. Its primary role is to prevent metal-to-metal contact between engine parts by forming a protective film. Despite being referred to as zinc, this additive actually contains zinc and phosphorus, with phosphorus performing the anti-wear function in the motor oil with zinc.

Why is it important to have the zinc/phosphorus levels in motor oil changed?

With ever increasing limits on emissions, automobile manufacturers have tightened emission control systems on newer vehicles. This is one of several factors considered when the American Petroleum Institute (API) sets standards for motor oil with zinc. The current API standard is SM which replaced the previous SL classification. Because phosphorus can poison a vehicle's emission system, the level of zinc is lower for current motor oil.

What is the controversy surrounding the amount of zinc in motor oil?

Many hands-on car enthusiasts and engine experts believe the lower levels of zinc in SM motor oil is causing excessive wear in older style push-rod and flat-tappet engines. This is despite the fact that all new motor oil classifications are intended to be backward compatible. This has resulted in the widely accepted belief that modern motor oil is not adequate to protect older engines.

What solutions does Valvoline offer to the zinc issue?

Valvoline offers two solutions to the zinc issue:
Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil: Contains 75% higher zinc than SM motor oil with a balanced additive package designed to work in both racing and street-legal applications. This product will protect older style push-rod and flat tappet engines. Valvoline provides this product in both multi and mono viscosity grades: 20w50, straight 50, 10w30, straight 30, straight 40, and straight 60.
Longer-Lasting Zinc/Phosphorus: Valvoline uses an advanced zinc/phosphorus additive that keeps higher levels of phosphorus in the motor oil where it protects the engine instead of poisoning the catalytic converter. Valvoline is the only brand offering this unique additive across its entire line of passenger car motor oils including SynPower -- the only synthetic oil that offers this additive.

Which oil has more zinc/ZDDP: VR1 or "Not Street Legal" racing oil?

Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil contains .13 percent of zinc and .12 percent of phosphorus compared to the Valvoline "Not Street Legal" Racing Oil which contains .14 percent of zinc and .13 percent of phosphorus.

Will an additive boost the zinc level?

You can use an additive to increase the zinc level. However, check with your motor oil manufacturer to ensure the additive is compatible with your racing oil.

Is VR1 a conventional oil, a synthetic or a blend?

Valvoline VR1 racing oil is a conventional, non-synthetic racing oil.

I am sure this stuff is still good to use in your honda transmission.

Good Bye Insight Hello 6.7 Diesel Truck!
**My First Hybrid Insight**

Last edited by HighMPG; 10-03-2011 at 11:26 PM..
Old 03-29-2012, 04:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

@60mph my vx is at 2100 is that normal. I just purchase the car, it has a fair amount of mileage(250xxx),minimun rust, straight body ect... i've also notice that vx owners all seem to have different mph speed, when cruising in 5th gear @ 2000rpm, from 1900 to my whooping 2100!! is this normal for the vx or is my car just an old fart and need major tune up!

Last edited by mycivic; 03-29-2012 at 04:46 AM..
Old 03-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I think my 1998 DX is at 2100 RPM somewhere around 50mph. You have it about right, I think.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:10 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

2 x wrecked vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 62 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycivic View Post
@60mph my vx is at 2100 is that normal. I just purchase the car, it has a fair amount of mileage(250xxx),minimun rust, straight body ect... i've also notice that vx owners all seem to have different mph speed, when cruising in 5th gear @ 2000rpm, from 1900 to my whooping 2100!! is this normal for the vx or is my car just an old fart and need major tune up!
I have 2 vx's with the correct trans. At a true 60mph one reads about 1900 and the other reads 2050. I am pretty sure I read somewhere there is a way to calibrate the tach but I can't seem to find it now.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

thanks for the quick response guys!! oh.. and i forgot to mention that @ 75mph my tech is @2500...

Reply  Post New Thread