Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Classifieds > For Sale
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2014, 06:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Black Bovine - '86 Toyota Supra N/A base
90 day: 16.86 mpg (US)

Grey Sandy - '03 Toyota Rav4 Sport Package
90 day: 21.3 mpg (US)

Panda - '03 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon GLS
90 day: 44.17 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Try to get him to 3,500, if not even 3,750 wouldn't be bad for that. Especially if he has proof when the timing belt was done. That's about a 400$ job right there.
Yeah, most of the time consuming annoying work seems to have been done. All that would be left for me to do would be check it over and drive it.

He did do a lot of the work himself but has paperwork for other things so some of it will be visual inspection.

I believe in efficiency with enjoyment. Trying to get economy without sacrificing comfort. It's working!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

eco-crx - '90 honda crx hf
Team Honda
90 day: 56.89 mpg (US)
Just have fun with the guy,showing other people I'm into cars, appreciate it for what it is,and have a good attitude about it generally helps 'ease' the situation and can ultimately bring the price down.Make small talk,etc and then just put it out there hey would you take $3500 cash for it?I'd love to have it,it'd be going to a good home,won't get "riced" out etc and it seems to be the going price,tell him you know where a few more are that are similarly priced but you'd like to buy from him!

It's worth the $,it seems like a solid car.Get a Car-Fax / Autocheck I can get them for free btw PM me if you need one.

matt
Old 07-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbolton1990 View Post
Just have fun with the guy,showing other people I'm into cars, appreciate it for what it is,and have a good attitude about it generally helps 'ease' the situation and can ultimately bring the price down.Make small talk,etc and then just put it out there hey would you take $3500 cash for it?I'd love to have it,it'd be going to a good home,won't get "riced" out etc and it seems to be the going price,tell him you know where a few more are that are similarly priced but you'd like to buy from him!

It's worth the $,it seems like a solid car.Get a Car-Fax / Autocheck I can get them for free btw PM me if you need one.

matt
I would very much appreciate that I'll let you know

I'm hesitant to view the car until I know he's not solid on the price but I suppose showing up is a good way to show I'm serious and help drive the cost down.

I believe in efficiency with enjoyment. Trying to get economy without sacrificing comfort. It's working!
Old 07-20-2014, 09:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

eco-crx - '90 honda crx hf
Team Honda
90 day: 56.89 mpg (US)
Point out a few flaws if necessary,that usually does the trick too.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbolton1990 View Post
Point out a few flaws if necessary,that usually does the trick too.

As long as he/she isn't an ass. The seller has a supra and an eclipse (in the pic) and works on cars so I'm crossing my fingers it will be a nice time.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Update: I accidentally discovered that the seller originally listed car with a stolen image. I happened across the same photo in a for-sale discussion thread, dated 2008. The forum was for car enthusiasts in North Carolina...and the car was a dented HX with 133k miles on it.

California smog test records have an entry for the car I'm looking at tomorrow, dated 2000 and 2011...so the seller might have a little explaining to do. I'm hoping it was an honest and dumb mistake and not the sign of a shady seller.

Anyway he's put up new images that show the real car (I can verify the location as being local this time) and it looks good, save for a few small things.

It looks like there's some scuff marks or clearcoat issues on the hood, and a good amount of unsightly aluminum oxidation on the engine. I will probably ask about this, because a friend of mine tells me oxidation is a sign it was sitting for a while. I happen to agree, so we'll see what the owner says. I'm a little curious why he bothered listing the car with a fake image.

Last edited by figit090; 07-21-2014 at 04:37 AM..
Old 07-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Try to get him to 3,500, if not even 3,750 wouldn't be bad for that. Especially if he has proof when the timing belt was done. That's about a 400$ job right there.
Well I've contacted a previous owner who bought it in 2000, she said it was backed into twice on the front and passenger side but was fixed by a reputable shop I know of. She had regular oil changes ever 3k, and replaced the brakes and ignition switch.

Other than that though it's just sittin' at 140k miles and should have a timing belt replaced. It may also smell a touch like dog but we can hopefully clean that smell out.

I'm going to have a look at it, see how it is.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by figit090 View Post
Well I've contacted a previous owner who bought it in 2000, she said it was backed into twice on the front and passenger side but was fixed by a reputable shop I know of. She had regular oil changes ever 3k, and replaced the brakes and ignition switch.

Other than that though it's just sittin' at 140k miles and should have a timing belt replaced. It may also smell a touch like dog but we can hopefully clean that smell out.

I'm going to have a look at it, see how it is.
Oh wow, well if it was that we'll taken care of, and it wasn't hit hard enough to tweak the frame, then it's no big deal. I would still try for 3,500.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
That much oxidation is a good indicator that the car was somehwere where they used salt on the highways in winter.

regards
Mech
Old 07-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
That much oxidation is a good indicator that the car was somehwere where they used salt on the highways in winter.

regards
Mech
Which means it's probably a 49 state car.

Reply  Post New Thread