Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Classifieds > For Sale
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Black Bovine - '86 Toyota Supra N/A base
90 day: 16.86 mpg (US)

Grey Sandy - '03 Toyota Rav4 Sport Package
90 day: 21.3 mpg (US)

Panda - '03 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon GLS
90 day: 44.17 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
That much oxidation is a good indicator that the car was somehwere where they used salt on the highways in winter.

regards
Mech
Could be, I know it's been registered in California throughout it's life. Below is the history report. I know it doesn't exempt it from travels on salty roads but we live near the ocean here so that could have something to do with it? Does that level of oxidation automatically mean salt? I'll be looking under the car too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Which means it's probably a 49 state car.
It's a california car as far as I know.

The owner said he didn't know of body work and thought he purchased it from the original owner, both aren't true, but he sounds honest enough. I am curious what all the lien tags are from though, and the owner before the current owner claimed to have purchased the car in 2000, which seems to match the line with "Title Lien Reported."

I suppose I could be talking to a fake "previous owner" but anyway, I dunno what to think about the fourth Title entry in 2005 though. Perhaps a change in named owners within the family?

I believe in efficiency with enjoyment. Trying to get economy without sacrificing comfort. It's working!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-22-2014, 12:18 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Welp, I priced a timing belt replacement, something I don't feel like doing myself, and current prices from my local honda dealer/parts/repair shop made me tell the seller I can offer $3000, and that's it. Also the mileage is now 155k miles, not the 137k or so I was originally told....

I managed to contact the previous owner who said the car WAS hit twice, I guess backed into on seperate occasions and professionally repaired.

Costs for needed maintenance are;

63 - belt
88 - tensioner
133 - pump
29 - thermostat

plus 255 labor brings it to about $569. If I do it myself (GUH), I'm still out $315 and some hours and change.

We'll see how it goes, I may still see the car tomorrow if he's still interested in selling to me.

I believe in efficiency with enjoyment. Trying to get economy without sacrificing comfort. It's working!
Old 07-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

eco-crx - '90 honda crx hf
Team Honda
90 day: 56.89 mpg (US)
$3000 seems fair.

It is what it is

Looks really clean though and that so happens to be my favorite color for the HX,looks snazzy.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbolton1990 View Post
$3000 seems fair.

It is what it is

Looks really clean though and that so happens to be my favorite color for the HX,looks snazzy.
I dunno how to interpret 'it is what it is' but I hope its a good deal. The seller still wants to meet thursday and is going to check for rust for me underneath just encase. Then I'll put it on a lift and look if we continue.

How many colors were there for the Hx anyway...three?

I wonder if I should ask why he used an image of another car initially or just water under the bridge for that hiccup..

Old 07-26-2014, 03:35 AM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

HOLY crap. ok, so thanks for the replies everyone. I'm still looking for a car. For results of today's used car check here's the result:

Today I went to see the car and I was disappointed. Not severely because I tried not to get my hopes up and it worked.

I look at the car, it looks OK with some minor issues and a dent in the door from a large car door (scrape and a line where it stopped). There's some rust stain above the windshield in the gutter/moulding thing too.

Then I open the door and it smells a bit...yep the dog smell was apparent. not horrid but not nice either...it made me feel icky and like it was a cheap crappy car.

Then I notice the door panel wiggles a lot when it shuts, I think it's been disassembled because it's so loose and damaged mounts do that to doors. Cheap Honda quality though, perhaps? Bad seals probably part of it. I've driven one honda years ago so I don't know. The passenger door wasn't so shaky. The cigarette lighter socket also wasn't attached, and it had an aftermarket alarm.

Then the seller says he's had both doors apart because the windows don't roll correctly and one falls off track..just as I thought. Then I notice the speaker grille falls off when I give it a pull and the plate blocking the side mirror bolts is loose. Poor removal job bro. Nice aftermarket stereo too, bro. I couldn't have cared less by the way, it was ugly and probably installed in 2002.

Then I check the engine and this is where it gets good. The engine was corroded but that's not a surprise, so I check the oil.

I can't find the dipstick.

Upon asking, he tells me the dipstick pull was broken clean off and points to a little yellow cone.
OOoook...so I pry it up with my nails and see literally about 1/8" of oil at the end and residue along the sides.

".....what the hell is this?!?" I think.

So I clean it and recheck thinking, "there's no way that's reading"

Well, it was. The guy had only enough oil to touch the end of the dipstick a few millimeters up. Not even CLOSE to the lower-level fill line. I wouldn't even run a briggs and stratton on that low an oil level. I figure a quart, if that, was in the crankcase, correct me if you've had one apart.

I asked him when he last checked, added, or changed it and he said he had it changed in May. I advised him that he should definitely buy oil before leaving, and air up the low front tire (minus points there too bro).

We ended our meet shortly after this, telling him "I'll have to think about it."
He left the parking lot without buying oil. ...and we were at walmart.

Glad I dodged that bullet, but the poor car! His for sale sign was faded and read $4000 which is $200 less than the CL ad. Now I recheck the CL ad and it's down to $3500, so I'm guessing his other interested parties don't exist, and that he was lying about other people's interest, or they've made similar offers. He's probably had it for sale on the street for months in his home town one hour away, and I couldn't bring myself to offer $2000 in it's present maintenance state.

Oh and the muffler had a broken exit pipe and the exhaust smelled sweet. I'm thinking it might be burning more than oil. but I'm not sure. I didn't care at that point.

Thanks for the help everyone, I'll continue my search.

Funny thing was I saw at least three HX's in town and one in the same parking lot. I initially thought was his car, until I read the Oregon plates. It had a badly dented rim and a big dent, and 50k more miles.

Anyway...bummer, and still looking.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:21 AM   #26 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by figit090 View Post
HOLY crap. ok, so thanks for the replies everyone. I'm still looking for a car. For results of today's used car check here's the result:

Today I went to see the car and I was disappointed. Not severely because I tried not to get my hopes up and it worked.

I look at the car, it looks OK with some minor issues and a dent in the door from a large car door (scrape and a line where it stopped). There's some rust stain above the windshield in the gutter/moulding thing too.

Then I open the door and it smells a bit...yep the dog smell was apparent. not horrid but not nice either...it made me feel icky and like it was a cheap crappy car.

Then I notice the door panel wiggles a lot when it shuts, I think it's been disassembled because it's so loose and damaged mounts do that to doors. Cheap Honda quality though, perhaps? Bad seals probably part of it. I've driven one honda years ago so I don't know. The passenger door wasn't so shaky. The cigarette lighter socket also wasn't attached, and it had an aftermarket alarm.

Then the seller says he's had both doors apart because the windows don't roll correctly and one falls off track..just as I thought. Then I notice the speaker grille falls off when I give it a pull and the plate blocking the side mirror bolts is loose. Poor removal job bro. Nice aftermarket stereo too, bro. I couldn't have cared less by the way, it was ugly and probably installed in 2002.

Then I check the engine and this is where it gets good. The engine was corroded but that's not a surprise, so I check the oil.

I can't find the dipstick.

Upon asking, he tells me the dipstick pull was broken clean off and points to a little yellow cone.
OOoook...so I pry it up with my nails and see literally about 1/8" of oil at the end and residue along the sides.

".....what the hell is this?!?" I think.

So I clean it and recheck thinking, "there's no way that's reading"

Well, it was. The guy had only enough oil to touch the end of the dipstick a few millimeters up. Not even CLOSE to the lower-level fill line. I wouldn't even run a briggs and stratton on that low an oil level. I figure a quart, if that, was in the crankcase, correct me if you've had one apart.

I asked him when he last checked, added, or changed it and he said he had it changed in May. I advised him that he should definitely buy oil before leaving, and air up the low front tire (minus points there too bro).

We ended our meet shortly after this, telling him "I'll have to think about it."
He left the parking lot without buying oil. ...and we were at walmart.

Glad I dodged that bullet, but the poor car! His for sale sign was faded and read $4000 which is $200 less than the CL ad. Now I recheck the CL ad and it's down to $3500, so I'm guessing his other interested parties don't exist, and that he was lying about other people's interest, or they've made similar offers. He's probably had it for sale on the street for months in his home town one hour away, and I couldn't bring myself to offer $2000 in it's present maintenance state.

Oh and the muffler had a broken exit pipe and the exhaust smelled sweet. I'm thinking it might be burning more than oil. but I'm not sure. I didn't care at that point.

Thanks for the help everyone, I'll continue my search.

Funny thing was I saw at least three HX's in town and one in the same parking lot. I initially thought was his car, until I read the Oregon plates. It had a badly dented rim and a big dent, and 50k more miles.

Anyway...bummer, and still looking.

Crap like that really makes me angry. I would have offered him 1,500 just for him wasting my time. Just keep looking, I'm sure something will turn up eventually.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Team Honda
Wow,a good one will pop up

Seriously what an idiot though,geez.
I fail to understand some people.

Oh and no the door shouldn't feel like that.A well taken care of Honda feels nothing like a cheap economy car IMO,Hondas are good quality automobiles.

Last edited by mbolton1990; 07-27-2014 at 09:49 AM..
Old 07-27-2014, 11:11 AM   #28 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Wow,a good one will pop up

Seriously what an idiot though,geez.
I fail to understand some people.

Oh and no the door shouldn't feel like that.A well taken care of Honda feels nothing like a cheap economy car IMO,Hondas are good quality automobiles.
+1 my HX feels nice and solid. And the driver door even got taken apart because the previous owner said he broke the door handle by accident.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Team Honda
Yea for one to feel that bad it's got to have missing/very loose screws or been in a pretty serious accident.Having severely worn hinges could have an effect too,don't lose hope though man a clean OE HX is well worth the wait!Id LOVE to have one.

Oh and I got the heart out of a wrecked one (D16Y5 & ECU)a few weeks ago at our local PNP for under $200,w00t!!
Old 07-27-2014, 05:37 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Crap like that really makes me angry. I would have offered him 1,500 just for him wasting my time. Just keep looking, I'm sure something will turn up eventually.
Yeah I agree, I could have but honestly I don't really want to nurse a car back to health, let alone one with previous body work, possibly BHG and assorted interior issues. That's what my current car has!!!

Quote:
+1 my HX feels nice and solid. And the driver door even got taken apart because the previous owner said he broke the door handle by accident.
Great to know, thank you! I believe if you know where clips are and pay attention a door can be disassembled and reassembled without issue. Are your window seals fresh? that can also cause extra vibration and I'm not sure what to expect for a car from 1997. My 1986.5 has bad seals...but by mom's 1996 doesn't...so I guess hit or miss depending on garaged or not?

Quote:
Yea for one to feel that bad it's got to have missing/very loose screws or been in a pretty serious accident.Having severely worn hinges could have an effect too,don't lose hope though man a clean OE HX is well worth the wait!Id LOVE to have one.

Oh and I got the heart out of a wrecked one (D16Y5 & ECU)a few weeks ago at our local PNP for under $200,w00t!!
Thanks for the reminder on the hinges and tips, I'll keep that in mind. Good score on the engine, is it solid and do you know the mileage? Not bad when an ECU costs about $80-$120 on ebay...

I'll keep looking and bumping this thread now and again. I may be going up to Washington with a friend if I find good options up there and the trip isn't a hassle. I'd love to have a road trip where I drive a new car home!

Also it's nice that I know what neglect looks and feels like in a Honda. Do you guys have any backlash in the drivetrain when you let off the gas or does your drivetrain pretty much have no play?

This car felt like it had some play in the CV joints or tranny but I don't know what's normal. My supra has horrible backlash but it's also got more joints and more age.

Reply  Post New Thread