Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Classifieds > For Sale
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #31 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Wow. You did the right thing not buying a car that'll just give you the heebee geebees. Stink? Evident neglect when your showing it? Yeesh, forget it. Still, as long as that was the stock dip stick, with just a broken off handle, it sounds like it had three or the four max quarts in it. The dipstick only measures the last quart, maybe slightly more. Each time I change it on my 1998 Civic... same deal, no oil on the stick til about the last quart.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-27-2014, 06:14 PM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Black Bovine - '86 Toyota Supra N/A base
90 day: 16.86 mpg (US)

Grey Sandy - '03 Toyota Rav4 Sport Package
90 day: 21.3 mpg (US)

Panda - '03 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon GLS
90 day: 44.17 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Wow. You did the right thing not buying a car that'll just give you the heebee geebees. Stink? Evident neglect when your showing it? Yeesh, forget it. Still, as long as that was the stock dip stick, with just a broken off handle, it sounds like it had three or the four max quarts in it. The dipstick only measures the last quart, maybe slightly more. Each time I change it on my 1998 Civic... same deal, no oil on the stick til about the last quart.
Ok cool, so I guess it was fine to drive out of there? Still kinda sad though, and the tires weren't all inflated correctly. basically he didn't try very hard and I want a car that was maintained so I don't have to fix it. No timing belt by 155k was baaaad enough I should have known he wouldn't maintain the car.

OH and the description he gave of putting wd40 on the squeaky pulley was actually the external pully for the power steering like I thought, NOT the timing idler. I was wondering how he could take everything down the the idler and get oil on it without hitting the timing belt but then not replace the freaking belt!

So he didn't know squat about cars apparently and looked like a punk.

I thought these things only held three quarts?

I'd like to re-ask, do your cars (5spds) have backlash when you let off throttle? Or should you immediately feel road drag and no backlash between coasting/engine breaking and throttle?

I believe in efficiency with enjoyment. Trying to get economy without sacrificing comfort. It's working!
Old 07-28-2014, 01:04 AM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

eco-crx - '90 honda crx hf
Team Honda
90 day: 56.89 mpg (US)
FWIW,my JDM D15B takes ~3.8 quarts iirc...
Old 07-28-2014, 01:07 AM   #34 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by figit090 View Post
Ok cool, so I guess it was fine to drive out of there? Still kinda sad though, and the tires weren't all inflated correctly. basically he didn't try very hard and I want a car that was maintained so I don't have to fix it. No timing belt by 155k was baaaad enough I should have known he wouldn't maintain the car.

OH and the description he gave of putting wd40 on the squeaky pulley was actually the external pully for the power steering like I thought, NOT the timing idler. I was wondering how he could take everything down the the idler and get oil on it without hitting the timing belt but then not replace the freaking belt!

So he didn't know squat about cars apparently and looked like a punk.

I thought these things only held three quarts?

I'd like to re-ask, do your cars (5spds) have backlash when you let off throttle? Or should you immediately feel road drag and no backlash between coasting/engine breaking and throttle?
No backlash, and mine holds 3.6qt. I put 3.6qt in and it only went to about 1/2 on the dip-stick, but I'm to lazy to add more.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:37 AM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

eco-crx - '90 honda crx hf
Team Honda
90 day: 56.89 mpg (US)
My CRX HF trans has back-lash,buuuut it also has close to 300k on it.
ISB is howling,and it can sound like a dog-box at times,lolz.

Still going strong though,no complaints in that department.
I've got my eye on a spare HF trans...
Old 08-11-2014, 04:14 AM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
No backlash, and mine holds 3.6qt. I put 3.6qt in and it only went to about 1/2 on the dip-stick, but I'm to lazy to add more.
Good to know, thank you! FYI oil filter changes may require more oil, the specs usually state two amounts, one with and one without a new filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbolton1990 View Post
My CRX HF trans has back-lash,buuuut it also has close to 300k on it.
ISB is howling,and it can sound like a dog-box at times,lolz.

Still going strong though,no complaints in that department.
I've got my eye on a spare HF trans...
LOL, do you ever pretend you're racing? I wish Forza motorsport was less on the dogbox noise, I know they're loud but sheesh it's a game! I'd rather hear the turbo...

Anyway, still lookin!

FUNNY thing I went to a yard sale, and I saw the HX I passed up! Looks like a new owner happily (I hope for their sake) bought it, and it sits next to a geo metro! I swear I almost knocked on the door to inquire about purchase until I realized it was the very same car!

I may try my luck in Washington later... I hope I find a car soon though, I'll be itching to travel soon! Already am...

I believe in efficiency with enjoyment. Trying to get economy without sacrificing comfort. It's working!
Old 01-30-2015, 11:11 PM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

BUMP!!

hahaha..guess what? The car I looked at before where there were several little issues, that I noticed after it sold while at a yard sale?

Well...it's up for sale again! this time it's "the third owner" and a guy who bought it because his car was broke and he realized he actually could fix it, so he's selling the honda.

He even replied to my want ad! I was super disappointed when he sent me a picture and it was the SAME CAR I test drove before with shoddy bits here and there. He wanted 200-500 more because he added two new tires.

STILLLLL looking!

Old 01-31-2015, 01:15 AM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

trustyHX - '97 honda civic HX
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)
I have one 466,500 mi and still have original clutch,wheel bearings,ball joints ,starter,power steering and have only replaced the head gasket one time. Still runs great,compression starting to drop finaly so bore job in near future and clutch while I have it apart. not for sale good luck in your hunt.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:10 PM   #39 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswehx View Post
I have one 466,500 mi and still have original clutch,wheel bearings,ball joints ,starter,power steering and have only replaced the head gasket one time. Still runs great,compression starting to drop finaly so bore job in near future and clutch while I have it apart. not for sale good luck in your hunt.
wow, cool! how's your car doing now though? You haven't updated your fuel log in four years, I'm curious how things are going. when did you need new O2 sensors?

Old 02-03-2015, 09:46 PM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

trustyHX - '97 honda civic HX
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)
I'm down to39mpg now I only fill with strait gas no ethanol,primary o2 changed 1 time almost 300k or so and secondary 2times, mine is under the car as I have a full stainless exh. system so not a stock exhaust. also cold air intake. The lower compression is killing the mpgs. Car still runs good though 145psi-165psi comp.

The Following User Says Thank You to mswehx For This Useful Post:
figit090 (02-07-2015)
Reply  Post New Thread