Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Not related to either politics or military discussions...

A few days ago we received a box from one of our regular suppliers with new product in it which we did not order.
The new product is the same product we already had but with new packaging and the instructions were to dispose of the existing stock rather than return it to the suppliers for repackaging.

The boss decided to give it to the Salvation Army depot so someone got for virtually free hair car products (shampoo , conditioner , volumiser etc) which normally retail at around $40.00 tube.
There were about fifteen or so tubes and that was just for our small retail section.

Hair car products are not our main line but it does prompt the question:
How much would it cost the manufacturer to do this for every stockist in the country?

No wonder their stuff retails at $40.00 each!

Peter.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I'm blaming him for flying crosscountry for a whole 1 1/2 day weekend, every weekend. I could see it for getting away for at least a week. Is it worth it??? He should get a place there; it would cost FAR less (not to him though).

Old 09-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I'm blaming him for flying crosscountry for a whole 1 1/2 day weekend, every weekend. I could see it for getting away for at least a week. Is it worth it??? He should get a place there; it would cost FAR less (not to him though).
You may have noticed this incident from a couple of years ago ? The 650 s***s are still costing me a fortune in taxes.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I'm blaming him for flying crosscountry for a whole 1 1/2 day weekend, every weekend.
I'd place more blame on a system that doesn't let him (or a lot of other people) stay in California and do his job by telecommuting. How much "business travel" could be done just as well by telecommuting? I think about 90% - the rest is just waste.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Eco-ventor

Princess - '92 Mazda MX-3 GS
House of Tudor
Team Mazda
90 day: 53.54 mpg (US)

Shirubāarō (*´ω`*) - '05 Toyota Prius Executive
Team Toyota
90 day: 54.88 mpg (US)

Blue Thunder - '20 Hyundai IONIQ Trend PHEV
Team Hyundai
Plug-in Hybrids
90 day: 587.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to jakobnev
Cucumber, lettuce, and bottled water. It's basically just the same thing, only thousands of times more wasteful than tap water.

2016: 128.75L for 1875.00km => 6.87L/100km (34.3MPG US)
2017: 209.14L for 4244.00km => 4.93L/100km (47.7MPG US)
Old 09-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Waste?

No tax deductions, or other rights, privileges, etc, should be allowed any corporation not also available to an American at the 30th percentile from the bottom of national income statistics (and also used by 50% of them). None, zero, zip. They don't like it, they can dis-incorporate. And no more capital gains tax: all income subject to income tax (at the 1960 rate of 5% of GDP for corporations/rich).

The waste, corruption and incompetence of the private sector outweighs that of government any day.

Secretary Panetta -- and the rest of them -- deserve no more than a government Ford and a driver. Whatever was good enough for FDR is good enough for these jackals.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
My brother-in-law's company bought a printer/scanner/copier/fax/whatever. When it arrived it turned out that it doesn't work - there's something wrong with the carriage. So they called up the manufacturer and asked whether they should return it, or will someone come around and repair. They found out that a second one will be shipped and the first one can be thrown out. So my bro-in-law gave it to his brother, who was in need of a printer. It turned out later that the carriage was jammed because someone at the factory forgot to remove a piece of styrofoam. Now both of them have printers in perfect working order.

Towards the end of communism here, in the 1980's, nation-owned companies had regulations which stated that "each vehicle in the fleet uses X liters of fuel per week", no matter how much of it is actually used. If the fuel consumption was lower than the "official" numbers, then this would mean that the driver didn't work as hard as he should have, etc. This kind of mentality promoted doing all sorts of stupid things - idling the truck all night, for example. Even worse, many drivers would suck the remaining fuel from their tanks at the end of the week to show that they indeed needed all of it. Usually, the 'surplus' fuel would end up in the tank of someone's private car, but sometimes it would just get poured into the sewer.

Oh, and then there are the "small" things, like whole office building where all computers and lights are left on 24/7.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 09-04-2011, 11:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Whatever was good enough for FDR is good enough for these jackals.
I have to disagree with that: no WAY am I, as a taxpayer, going to be happy about buying yachts for these guys: POTOMAC - F.D.R.'s "Floating White House" FDR also had his own Presidential airplanes, one reportedly customized with a built-in elevator for his wheelchair.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
The PRC.

We get quite a few components which are solid-state - no moving parts and no parts which can be replaced or serviced, at least not economically by us. If they are DOA or fail within the warranty period it is cheaper for the reseller to just replace them for us FOC and ask us to dispose of the old one. That passes the cost and responsibility of that disposal to us of course.

When we asked for the cost of shipping the parts back one time the supplier concerned immediately suggested that there would be an additional price for all deliveries and pickups in Scotland, and as they were a monopoly supplier for that component at the time we had to accept it.

Insurance often means we can't recycle parts even PCs, although we have enough parts to make hundreds of reasonable spec machines if we put them together. I'm trying to see if we can donate them somewhere but they usually only take complete, working equipment.

Plus of course we have to destroy HDD contents for data protection which takes time.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #20 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
What happens to the bread that a bakery doesn't sell? Often, it is given away to homeless/poor people.

That used to be the case here, until a few years ago when new tax laws prohibited giving away stuff which should have been sold, or even selling it for less than its cost of production (anti-dumping law?). The media showed a baker who got a huge fine for giving away a few day-old rolls (he was a local hero for a short time). So perfectly edible bread was being thrown out

Only after a lot of protests did our Enlightened MPs pass a law allowing stale bread to be sold off for 1 grosz (~1/4 eurocent).

Who's watched Jeremy Seifert's Dive!?

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Reply  Post New Thread