Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2019, 10:52 PM   #161 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
I have a diesel. It is hot, noisy, ... slow, and it shakes and rattles.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (02-11-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-11-2019, 08:19 AM   #162 (permalink)
Banned

EV cost few per mile (they say), if we calculate energy price vs gasoline price.

BUT...
They never show the cost of the lead acid batteries, that last just 350 cycles and require a large number.

So I ask you guys : What's the real price per mile (or km) based in the enrgy cost plus the battery cost per mile, since the battery will last a limited numbers of charge???

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
All problems that could be alleviated by an EV conversion, right?

Last edited by All Darc; 02-11-2019 at 08:54 AM..
Old 02-11-2019, 08:30 AM   #163 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
What's the real price per mile (or km) based in the enrgy cost plus the battery cost per mile, since the battery will last a limited numbers of charge???
That's impossible to quantify. How much is the real price of a hammer per nail?
That depends on how you use it.
In other words, how hard you drive it down.

Generally batteries do better if you stay away from heat and never fully charge or discharge it. Or if it bears a red T.
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-ex...-Tesla-battery
Quote:
Tesla expects them to last at least 8 years and infinite miles, since that’s the warranty they offer with the Model S — they define the lifetime of a battery as being when it cannot hold more than 70% of its original charge. But actual data suggests that they will last longer.
Infinite miles suggests the price per mile could be zero. It would never need to be replaced.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #164 (permalink)
Banned

Ok, let's supose someone take care of the batteries, do not discharge too much (lead acid have thse details) and avoid too much heat.

Let's start with how many lead acid batteries it's required to a medium size car conversion, and the price of the batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
That's impossible to quantify. How much is the real price of a hammer per nail?
That depends on how you use it.
In other words, how hard you drive it down.

Generally batteries do better if you stay away from heat and never fully charge or discharge it. Or if it bears a red T.
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-ex...-Tesla-battery

Infinite miles suggests the price per mile could be zero. It would never need to be replaced.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:13 AM   #165 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
So far I have 6 years use on 8 -9 year old volt battery pack. Maybe lost 5% capacity, cant tell exactly because measurement is imprecise. I got 4 years on the FLA pack that was replaced by the current volt pack mostly for the weight reduction and current increase.

So $2200 purchase, maybe $1.15 a day charging for 26 mile round trip to work, just not worth calculating costs.

Based on current useage, telsa expects their vehicle to be scrapped long before the pack dies.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #166 (permalink)
Banned

LEad Acidy battery don't last so much with so few loss of capacity...
Even Lithium don't last so much...

Do you have a magic battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
So far I have 6 years use on 8 -9 year old volt battery pack. Maybe lost 5% capacity, cant tell exactly because measurement is imprecise. I got 4 years on the FLA pack that was replaced by the current volt pack mostly for the weight reduction and current increase.

So $2200 purchase, maybe $1.15 a day charging for 26 mile round trip to work, just not worth calculating costs.

Based on current useage, telsa expects their vehicle to be scrapped long before the pack dies.

Last edited by All Darc; 02-11-2019 at 11:00 AM..
Old 02-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #167 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
"They never show the cost of the lead acid batteries, that last just 350 cycles and require a large number."
Also the number you quoted is the 80% depth of discharge life cycle for deep cycle batteries. Some even quote 400 cycles at this number (Odyssey warranty), and it goes up a lot the less you deeply discharge it.
Yeah Lead acids are the worst in cycle life. I know panasonic quotes up to 40,000 cycles for discharge between 30 to 70% dod for their Telsa supplied 18650's li-ion cells which is fantastic. Even if you convert it down to I think 92% depth of discharge this still gives you 750 cycles. And even when they are deemed to low ah capacity for a car they are friggin fantastic purchases for diy power walls of all sorts.
Life cycle example my 2010 Prius has 140k miles, original 12v battery, and original nimh battery.
But replacement cost for the battery pretty low, 600$ now to replace the prismatic cells inside the pack with refurbished units and I think brand new cells not even refurb ones are only 900$ (~32$ ea) from panasonic now.
I think the reaction to electric cars can be a little dramatic.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:03 PM   #168 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Do you have a magic battery?
https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...ite-36954.html

Did your interview not work out?

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (02-12-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 03:43 PM   #169 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Some of this seems overly complicated. The price the consumer will see is the difference between what they paid for the car and what they sold the car for later, then add what the maintenance costs were, the taxes and insurance, and finally what it cost them in electricity (or gas). You don't need to know how much a piston costs on a gas or how much a battery costs on an electric. Plus 10 years ago somebody that knew their way around a high voltage battery pack was more like a rocket scientist in the fossil fuel world. Now rebuilding a Li-on battery may be more common DIY than rebuilding a small block Chevy is.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:06 PM   #170 (permalink)
Banned

Still in contact. I had a response few days ago, and she was tripping back to Portugal. Few weaks earlier she was busy and taking cara od a sick friend.

I hope there is still chance to make the interview.
I still need to test the program to record video from SKYPE or record the PC screen video and sound.

Electric car conversion it's still expensive. The battery can weigh more than a chubby passanger. Ok, without the combustion engine motor (more electric motor) you get some weight reduction to the battery, and without the weight of fuel you also got some reduction, but even so battery it's large and weight as lot in the case of acid lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

The Following User Says Thank You to All Darc For This Useful Post:
freebeard (02-12-2019)
Reply  Post New Thread