Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2019, 08:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
A wealth of spark plug information

Hello again everyone.

I was reading through some of the recent posts and came across a term I hadn't heard of before. Side gapping a spark plug. So off I went on an web tour and I happened onto this site.The link isn't just about "side gapping" but has so much more information about spark plugs. More information than I could sit through at one time actually, but I thought I'd post it here. I think it's centered around a more "performance" mindset, but it has some great information on how to "read" spark plugs and seemingly just about anything else you could ever want to know about plugs. Lots of links to other pages with more detailed information too. I'm hoping this could be a help to some of us.

spark plug info | Grumpys Performance Garage

Happy reading.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hat_man For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (04-20-2019), Ecky (04-19-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-19-2019, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
So, I'm reading some things that are contradictory to stuff I've read elsewhere. One example:

Quote:
always use a bit of anti-seize paste on spark plugs, threads, being used in aluminum cylinder heads even if not required
As I recall, Honda states directly to never use anti-seize in their aluminum cylinder heads because it lubricates the threads and may allow over-torquing of spark plugs, which could result in stripped or deformed threads.

Going to poke through the rest of it though, as I'm always interested in new information, especially if it pertains to fuel economy.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
It looks like it was written about 10 years ago. I wonder if the anti-seize was the norm back then? I still haven't made my way through the whole of the posts and links.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
The bit on indexing was interesting. Also, using proper torque spec for a "gas tight" seal... I have assumed that the torque spec in the Honda FSM is a guideline not a requirement.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
The bit on indexing was interesting. Also, using proper torque spec for a "gas tight" seal... I have assumed that the torque spec in the Honda FSM is a guideline not a requirement.
Interestingly, the plugs on the G1 Insight have a tendency to back out with the factory torque spec. I wonder what the author would suggest.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (04-27-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Interestingly, the plugs on the G1 Insight have a tendency to back out with the factory torque spec. I wonder what the author would suggest.
That is interesting too, since the G1's ICE is quite similar to my engine in some respects, as are lots of chassis and interior features, given its from the same design period. I need to do some further diagnostic and probably repair work in the whole upper end of the head and will try to monitor how the plugs do over time, see if they back out a little. Sometimes, I have used a little anti-sieze, too. Will stop that now... gotta get that indexed spark position and gas-tight seal! Instant 80 mpg, here I come!!!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Little Blue Fuel Sipper - '16 Nissan Versa SV Sedan
Team Nissan
90 day: 45.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
So, I'm reading some things that are contradictory to stuff I've read elsewhere. One example:

As I recall, Honda states directly to never use anti-seize in their aluminum cylinder heads because it lubricates the threads and may allow over-torquing of spark plugs, which could result in stripped or deformed threads.

Going to poke through the rest of it though, as I'm always interested in new information, especially if it pertains to fuel economy.
I always use anti seize when replacing spark plugs and have ever since I had a plug seize while trying to remove it. Even though the threads were full of aluminum from the head and I had to use all my strength to remove the plug I was able to take the old plugs and re-tap threads into the head and continue using the car without having to replace the head. My fix lasted until I quit using the car probably about 10-15 years later. Once I feel the plug seat I give it just enough to snug it down. I've never used a torque wrench when changing plugs although maybe I should.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Give her a helping of red loctite #kidding