Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2017, 07:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortie771 View Post
^^ (Ecky) I like your thinking. That's pretty much the design I was talking about, but 2 seater tandem instead​ of 3 seats so I could taper the boat tail more. Also I like the hybrid idea. I'd probably go with the smallest engine I coul get away with though to maintain highway speeds (and charge) and use the electric motors to accelerate to speed and cruise around town.
The Atkinson cycle reduces torque a lot, and the 1.0 in the Insight already is barely adequate to cruise on the highway, so if you were going to go Atkinson you'd need to add a bit of displacement.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
I've had the design and parts figured out for this for a long time, but not enough time or money to spare...

Purpose: DD around town
Basis: Built from ground up. Steel space frame/fiberglass body
Engine: Dual Agni 95 DC motors
Transmission: None... sprocket and chain
Drivetrain: READ
Modifications: Reverse trike (2-seat tandem), front steering from junkyard car (smart car?) with the rear half of a motorcycle.
Expected Mileage: 300+mpg
Expected Cost: 10k-15k

Even factoring in the cost of changing the lithium batteries when they die, it still costs less than $0.03/mile to drive
This is roughly what I would want. 2 key factors for maximum MPGs: lack of weight & best aerodynamics. It would blow anything else out of the water.

Main difference is that I want it mass-produced, so that it's in under the $5k mark. A small lean-burn gasoline or tiny turbo diesel would probably help keep the cost down, with the electric or hybrid as a more expensive option.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
I would definitely take the 00-06 Honda insight shell and put a 1L TurboDiesel engine in it. No fancy hybrid, just good ol' reliable diesel tech with a 6-7 speed manual gearbox. The only thing I would change about the shell would be smaller side view mirrors.

The benefits of this over what the car currently has.
-no hybrid systems to fail.
-vehicle overall would be more enjoyable to drive due to the increased powerband of TD engines.
-Way more cargo space in the rear.
-Due to how Torquey TD's are, you could tow a decent amount (not a lot, but a hell of a more than a stock insight can).
This.

I would also like to see a version that keeps the hybrid section with one difference. I would keep it a manual trans, but add a second clutch between the ICE and motor. This would give electric only capabilities which is the one drawback on the insight. Even the most efficient ICE is horrible in slow city traffic. Having the ability to just leave the trans in 3rd gear and putt along in rush hour traffic would be nice.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Eco Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
The Atkinson cycle reduces torque a lot, and the 1.0 in the Insight already is barely adequate to cruise on the highway, so if you were going to go Atkinson you'd need to add a bit of displacement.
I really need to learn more about Insights. I've only ever seen 2 in my life so I figured they were hard to source. I was thinking along the lines of an OBD1 Geo Metro XFI (though I LOVE Honda's) engine or something. Its fuel injected, easy to work on and not as many computers to deal with (maybe I'm just anti-OBD2+). Maybe even a water cooled motorcycle engine, it's smaller, lighter and since I've designed the rear of the car around the back half of a motorcycle it would be very easy to make it work. Then have a long gear ratio form the motor to the wheels, I think it should cruise just fine. I think it's sexy!

Oh and the design I was trying to explain is VERY similar to the VW 1L concept:

I wish I was richer

Best Tank = 42.72 mpg (in the 94 Del Sol)

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI

Last edited by Shortie771; 04-07-2017 at 12:28 PM..
Old 04-07-2017, 11:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
I would also like to see a version that keeps the hybrid section with one difference. I would keep it a manual trans, but add a second clutch between the ICE and motor. This would give electric only capabilities which is the one drawback on the insight.
I have never seen any full-hybrid with a regular manual transmission, even though some hybrid trucks and buses have automated-manual ones.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Just because they don't exist, doesn't mean they wouldn't be a good idea. Another idea for the insight would be to add a small, 5-10 hp wheel hub motor to the Insight rear wheels. This would give e motor only capabilities in slow stop and go traffic and also give it AWD capabilitiy. So long as these motors were kept very modest in size it shouldn't hurt ride/handling much.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Eco Sol

Quote:
Just because they don't exist, doesn't mean they wouldn't be a good idea. Another idea for the insight would be to add a small, 5-10 hp wheel hub motor to the Insight rear wheels. This would give e motor only capabilities in slow stop and go traffic and also give it AWD capabilitiy. So long as these motors were kept very modest in size it shouldn't hurt ride/handling much.
Somebody did it. On an accord.
https://www.wired.com/2012/08/hybrid-conversion/

Best Tank = 42.72 mpg (in the 94 Del Sol)

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI
Old 04-10-2017, 12:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Just because they don't exist, doesn't mean they wouldn't be a good idea.
I'm just not sure if that would be so easy to market them at a large volume, but it's clearly doable.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:07 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
What car would you CREATE?
A race car and a motor home:

Also, there is a thread were I considered the tadpole

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...itt-24546.html

Motorhome gets a Tesla drivetrain, race car gets a 2017 RAV4 rear axle, and the Messer-clone gets a Buick Lacross altermotor.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:30 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
That is exactly what I am talking about.

Someone really needs to put this in a 1st gen insight. It would be quite the little hot rod. And if it will push an old Accord wagon 35 miles by itself, it would probably push the Insight 60.

Reply  Post New Thread