Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2017, 10:56 AM   #141 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
I see your 'geodetic' and raise a 'geodesic':

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-20-2017, 01:39 PM   #142 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ever since I learned about CRX HF and Civic VX I wanted to put a D15Z1 into a stripped out, maybe aero modified, CRX.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:47 PM   #143 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby79 View Post
The engine would be controled in ways that would take pages/books to wright. But the short and sweet. A multi fule ,like a old duce and a hafe. Each cylinder would be independently VGT turbocharged( with brushless dc charger/assistance seeTurbo as a charger?) and controled electric engine valves for infinite valve timing /compression . Basically 6 separate engines with a common crank. The connecting rods would be a computer controled variable length reducing pumping losses to 0 for cylinder deactivation and alowing for the sweet sopt to always be right there nomater what fuel is used.
That would be quite a complicated setup but, apart from the variable lenght of the connecting rods, would still be doable if one has deep pockets. BTW I guess you might have been aware of that camless engines that Koenigsegg is researching.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
gumby79 (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #144 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Agreed. You get enough crankshaft vibrations with fixed length rods.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:07 AM   #145 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I see your 'geodetic' and raise a 'geodesic':
if its composite either description is redundant, vacuum bag or blow moulded.
The funny car industry has been sorting us out. These are low run production bodies with high performance frames

just paint the inside with colored resin for a perfect shine.

Old 06-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #146 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

"If it's composite..."

The Wellington was fabric over wood over aluminum.

Quote:
In these aircraft, the fuselage was built up from a number of duralumin alloy channel-beams that were formed into a large framework. Wooden battens were screwed onto the metal, to which the doped linen skin of the aircraft was fixed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodetic_airframe#Aeroplanes

The [unbuilt] motor home is specified with oak struts, pine tongue and groove sheathing, insulation shaped to a compound curve —and a fabric skin, just like the Wellington.

My favorite composite material is basalt fiber.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:55 PM   #147 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
"If it's composite..."

The Wellington was fabric over wood over aluminum.

yes it is,
But these days we have far superior materials range to choose from. We can do skins without the need for framing, we can do structural strength box beams, or differing layup thicknesses in the same lamination. We can tab joints, layup parts with apertures included so they have a smooth all over glass infusion.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:57 PM   #148 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I love materials science. Additive manufacturing can produce parts with voids saving 95% of the weight and materials.

I can move goalposts too.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:02 AM   #149 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
I've been interested in fiberglass due to the ease to work on it at a small scale and the lower cost compared to carbon fiber, but nowadays I'd rather try some vegetable-based fibers due to the lower energy consumption inherent to their production.

Another thing that I would be interested to try in a custom project is some way to drive a generator from a turbocharger, eventually using a setup similar to the starter-generator fitted to some small aircraft. That could also help overcoming turbo-lag.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:32 AM   #150 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I've been interested in fiberglass due to the ease to work on it at a small scale and the lower cost compared to carbon fiber, but nowadays I'd rather try some vegetable-based fibers due to the lower energy consumption inherent to their production.
What you need to be careful of is how it reacts to resin, where its probable that epoxy will show some risks, polyester is more forgiving. I guess silk would come up with some attractive numbers, perhaps hemp too (No pun intended).

Reference manila rope for which hemp was widely used during WW2. Hemp cloth is quite widely researched and likely available as a product. I believe silk was investigated for composites in the 90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
Another thing that I would be interested to try in a custom project is some way to drive a generator from a turbocharger, eventually using a setup similar to the starter-generator fitted to some small aircraft. That could also help overcoming turbo-lag.
Im not really understanding this, since a turbocharger already has its hot side and cold side occupied. Perhaps what you are looking for is an exhaust driven alternator, or do you mean something rather smaller than existing APU?

Reply  Post New Thread