Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2020, 04:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor95 View Post
Great answers thank you. I'm just thinking of ways that I can lower the CD on my Camry. Supposedly it is already 0.28, so I don't think there's much I can do other than adding a belly pan.
I think a full undertray (belly pan) is the single best modificaion to reduce drag on most cars. But to do a good job, it is a lot of work. This may be relevant:

Quote:
For the rear diffuser. Is there an optimal angle that it should slope to the bumper?
No there isn't. You can look at a diversity of tech papers and get a diversity of 'optimal angles'. It also depends on the length (ie as a proportion of the car length) formed by the diffuser. For example, in the tech paper quoted above, the length of the diffuser is either 33 per cent, or 18 per cent, of the length of the car. Very hard to install a diffuser that is a third the length of the car!

In addition, the shape of the car (eg wagon or sedan) and the design of the undertray ahead of the diffuser will have influence.

All that said, too steep an angle will cause the flow to separate - and you don't want that. For downforce, something like 8-10 degrees , and for drag, something like 5-8 degrees (and both with smooth floor ahead of the diffuser).

But it's pretty hard to get accurate angles working under the car, so spend your energy on making a good full-length undertray and just be sure to incorporate a gently sloping upwards bit at the back.

Edit addition: also keep in mind that aero lift that occurs differentially (ie more at the back than the front, or vice versa) will be yet another factor that influences the actual angle the diffuser forms on the road at speed. As with all car aero, the more you think about it, the more complex (and car-specific) it all gets.

Last edited by JulianEdgar; 06-08-2020 at 05:19 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
freebeard (06-08-2020), MeteorGray (06-09-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-08-2020, 06:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Something not yet mentioned here, I believe there are some benefits to be gained from allowing/intending some (waste?)air flow also on the top side of a diffuser, especially if any DF is sought, effectively making it a turning vane with negative lift, if it has uniform cross sectional thickness, meaning, a sealed diffuser panel is not always 100% necessary or best.
The Following User Says Thank You to j-c-c For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 08:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I generally have not seen strakes on the difusers of high fuel economy cars. At least I don't recall them. Some interesting photos of Priuses.

Very small strakes in a sort of airfoil shape are visible in some of these, but farther forward, between the axles.

See link for a couple more:
https://priuschat.com/threads/photos...y-prius.68549/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17-Prius-diffuser.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	28415   Click image for larger version

Name:	smbottomrear.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	28416  
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
JulianEdgar (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 08:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-c-c
...there are some benefits to be gained from allowing/intending some (waste?)air flow also on the top side of a diffuser...
[citation needed]

Old 06-08-2020, 08:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post

Good find.

They look like vortex generators to me.

(Hopefully that beam axle is well above the lower level of the fuel tank when the suspension is at normal compression.)
Old 06-08-2020, 11:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

"I believe there are some benefits to be gained from allowing/intending some (waste?)air flow also on the top side of a diffuser"

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
[citation needed]
This suffice?

Here is my max DF purposed CF diffuser effort within my personal parameters. "Mini" spoiler is primarily to enhance the trunk mounted oil cooler exhaust vents and diffuser efficiency. In this pic it is unfinished with the yet to be cutout two exhaust exits thru the pair of the still foamed diffuser segments.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...ml#Post2783050
The Following User Says Thank You to j-c-c For This Useful Post:
freebeard (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 11:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
This suffice?
Totally.

If I understand what you're doing, on completion, you can verify the effectiveness by temporarily closing off the cooler vents?

Old 06-09-2020, 12:01 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-c-c View Post
"I believe there are some benefits to be gained from allowing/intending some (waste?)air flow also on the top side of a diffuser"

This suffice?

Here is my max DF purposed CF diffuser effort within my personal parameters. "Mini" spoiler is primarily to enhance the trunk mounted oil cooler exhaust vents and diffuser efficiency. In this pic it is unfinished with the yet to be cutout two exhaust exits thru the pair of the still foamed diffuser segments.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...ml#Post2783050
What does the floor look like ahead of the diffuser?

This?

Old 06-09-2020, 12:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jeep - '97 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)

Blueberry - '07 Toyota Camry SE
I also prefer the "b" diffuser in that diagram. I also like that the slope starts at the wheel. I really want to take my time to make a nice undertray, probably using sheet aluminum. I may also be replacing my 07 Camry with a 09 hybrid version, so I really would like to get the best mpg possible.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:23 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I also prefer the "b" diffuser in that diagram. I also like that the slope starts at the wheel. I really want to take my time to make a nice undertray, probably using sheet aluminum. I may also be replacing my 07 Camry with a 09 hybrid version, so I really would like to get the best mpg possible.
Have a look under your car first! In many cars, getting a good diffuser angle and length will mean chopping up the trunk floor / spare wheel well.

Reply  Post New Thread