Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
drive drift dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
Sounds interesting. Surely there are plenty of hachi-roku parts to choose from. Whatever the racers do for weight savings will surely work for hypermiling, and some of the suspension work will help too (not camber, etc). It should be said that it's unlikely for these lightweight bolts to pay off, but if it's not about return on investment through gas savings I say go ahead. The worst they can do is make your car a little bit faster and your wallet a little bit thinner.

Are you stretching skinnier tires onto the rims or using super wide tires? I have thought about stretching LRR tires for the look and function. 8)
i havent decided which tire size ...but im not going for stretched look
what i can i do to make the car more efficient im willing to do....and i did alot big things all ready...the little thing is where its going to count.....my goal is lay a ass whopping to the higher hp cars im around 220-250 hp body weight is around 1850-1900 lbs

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae86driftmaster View Post
..the bolts dont corrode..
Maybe not, but they gall like crazy! You have to be super super super careful with anti-seize and other techniques to allow them to be removeable more than once or twice. If the coating on the fasteners gets compromised in any way, you may have a heck of a time with them.

-soD
Old 01-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
drive drift dream

trying to reach this caliber...in Japan these are well respected machines...
and have huge a cult following ..around the world..it caught in the sates in 2000 ..this is the car that put drifting on the map....but it's used in many other race series

Last edited by ae86driftmaster; 01-08-2013 at 04:14 PM..
Old 01-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
drive drift dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post
Maybe not, but they gall like crazy! You have to be super super super careful with anti-seize and other techniques to allow them to be removeable more than once or twice. If the coating on the fasteners gets compromised in any way, you may have a heck of a time with them.

-soD
yea i read they can be a pain but once they are on ..i really will have no reason to remove them again....(hopefully) lol
Old 01-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae86driftmaster View Post
trying to reach this caliber...in Japan these are well respected machines...
Yes, they are a respected historical AE86 generation, but time to move on.
The next reincarnation and the good karma follows into the new hachi-roku - Toyota 86/ EU GT86/ our NA FR-S.
By all accounts, the best for contemporary value/performance/most important - enjoyment.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/...S/4133c93b.jpg
Old 01-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
radioranger

from experience here with lightening a car, cheap way take every bolt in the car, and cut it to just the right length to go through the fastener plus one full thread, that;s the spec for race tech approval if i remember, oversize wheels and tires will slow you down, go just as big as you need for the track . that's why drag racers and others run front skinnies, every bracket you can remove can be lightened by drilling the areas not needed for strength , edges can be radiused and smoothed with a grinder and of course all insulation and carpet thinned out , Got my 66 Mustang v8 down to 2650 full of gas and went pretty good. even with the iron heads and 4 speed. most 5.0's are around 3000 lbs, titanium sounds trick but really not worth it far as I can see, Save your money for gas and toys for the little one ,
Old 01-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
drive drift dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by botsapper View Post
Yes, they are a respected historical AE86 generation, but time to move on.
The next reincarnation and the good karma follows into the new hachi-roku - Toyota 86/ EU GT86/ our NA FR-S.
By all accounts, the best for contemporary value/performance/most important - enjoyment.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/...S/4133c93b.jpg
im glad they brought back the 86 ...but they killed me with that subaru motor....
Old 01-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
This is performance only territory; in fuel savings you'll sadly never gain back the investment.
The one nut on which weight reduction might really affect MPG, in most cases, would be the one that holds the steering wheel. Or opens a can of soda. You get the picture.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
drive drift dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioranger View Post
from experience here with lightening a car, cheap way take every bolt in the car, and cut it to just the right length to go through the fastener plus one full thread, that;s the spec for race tech approval if i remember, oversize wheels and tires will slow you down, go just as big as you need for the track . that's why drag racers and others run front skinnies, every bracket you can remove can be lightened by drilling the areas not needed for strength , edges can be radiused and smoothed with a grinder and of course all insulation and carpet thinned out , Got my 66 Mustang v8 down to 2650 full of gas and went pretty good. even with the iron heads and 4 speed. most 5.0's are around 3000 lbs, titanium sounds trick but really not worth it far as I can see, Save your money for gas and toys for the little one ,
understood...but im not doing to much of 1/4 mile to get skinnies ...i done drilling my self on certain dead weight parts...and was conscious with weight when buying the aftermarket parts....

EC Works Manual Mirrors 8.4 oz (x 2) 1lb 0.8 oz vs stock power mirror 2 lbs 13.4 oz (x2) 4 lbs 5.4 oz

door hinges

hood hinges

center consel

and some other parts...also replaced the doors hood hatch with carbon fiber
also with lighter suspension parts
Old 01-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
drive drift dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
This is performance only territory; in fuel savings you'll sadly never gain back the investment.
The one nut on which weight reduction might really affect MPG, in most cases, would be the one that holds the steering wheel. Or opens a can of soda. You get the picture.
true i problably wont ....but funny you should mention steering wheel

Reply  Post New Thread