Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #131 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Would love to get that kind of FE myself! Still have about 10mpg to go with my Jetta...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #132 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
Chevette

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQmile View Post
All of that is all kinds of awesome. I had a Chevette diesel that would get in the mid 50mpg range at 55mph. I always wondered what it would do if it was aero. Heard they were one of the least aerodynamic cars ever made. Also big props for driving real speeds, building something that looks awesome, and doing so with materials that last!
Dr.Gino Sovran (friend of Wolf Heinrich Hucho) of GM Research Labs published an SAE paper in 1986 about streamlining and EPA mileage ratings.
The baseline example for his work was a 1981 Chevette,gasoline,Cd 0.475,and 19.8 sq-ft frontal area,with EPA 41 MPH HWY.
I extrapolated his curves out to the 'Template',@ Cd 0.13.
According to SAE testing protocols at the time,the streamlining would add 27 mpg to the HWY rating,for 68 mpg.
I owned an '81 Chevette (gasoline) and I remember 41 mpg at the old double-nickel speed limit.
I was just beginning to fab up cardboard mockups for the car,when an airline stewardess decided she'd run a stop sign and drive 'through' the Chevette.
I never got to 'test' Gino's numbers ( I bought the CRX),but you couldn't find a guy held in higher esteem within the automotive community as Mr.Sovran,and I suspect we could use his prediction tools with high confidence.
You could be the one to actually know!
With the Diesel powertrain you should see some really delicious numbers.
COcyclist (12-08-2014), HHOTDI (07-21-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #133 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
steady 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by More air less fuel View Post
I might go to the Shriners Car Show in Webster NY. tonight. Depends on the weather and if it really is tonight or if it's Sunday. A post early in this thread talks about one on July 14, that is Sunday, doesn't seem right?
I have done some more mpg testing without any special techniques like pulse and glide. Having trouble getting more than 74 mpg at a steady 60 mph over a 140 mile ride with the cruise on. I would like to drop some cylinders, but that is another project!
With 74 mpg @ 60 mph you're approaching GM's 1991 Ultralite,100 mpg car.
Their mileage was posted for 50 mph,and when you recalculate for higher velocity,holding a constant BSFC,their 1,400-lb (curb weight) all-composite Wunderwagen isn't leading you by that much.
Your project is a remarkable achievement.I'm very pleased to have found out about it.'hat's off to you sir!

Last edited by aerohead; 07-13-2013 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 07-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #134 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,525 Times in 2,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by More air less fuel View Post
I would add pics, but they are to big. How can I get around this?
What I do is go into the folder with my big full version pictures, left click them, open them in "paint", if the picture is say 400kb I use the reduce size and cut them down to 40% or 50% of their original size (make 1 size reduction or the shurken pics will look grainy), then crop off unneeded portions of the picture, "rotate image", turning it up side down and cropping off more if needed, rotate back to original then click "save as" a jpeg and rename the picture the same thing as before with the letters "sm" on the end, put the pic in the same file as the original picture so that way you save the larger original picture, have and can find the smaller version for posting on the forums right next to it.

You want to get the jpeg kb size down to 120kb for this forum I think?

Or send them to me lol.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #135 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
left click them, open them in "paint", if the picture is say 400kb I use the reduce size and cut them down to 40% or 50% of their original size (make 1 size reduction or the shurken pics will look grainy), then crop off unneeded portions of the picture, "rotate image", turning it up side down and cropping off more if needed, rotate back to original then click "save as" a jpeg and rename the picture the same thing as before with the letters "sm" on the end, put the pic in the same file as the original picture
MacPaint? Most any image editor enables resizing. The the gold standard would be GraphicConverter.
Quote:
As of 2012, GraphicConverter can import about 200 file types and export 80.[1] Images can also be retouched, edited, and transformed using tools, effects and filters. The software supports most Adobe Photoshop plug-ins, including TWAIN. The application features a batch processor, slideshow mode, image preview browser, and access to metadata comments (such as XMP, Exif, and IPTC).

GraphicConverter is shareware that runs on both the classic Mac OS and Mac OS X and is maintained by German-based LemkeSoft. GraphicConverter is available in a dozen languages including English, French, German and Spanish.
What's confusing GraphicConverter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia says it's Mac only, but Graphic Converter - Convert Image BMP, JPG, GIF, PNG, ICO, TIFF, more offers Graphic Converter for Mac and Easy Graphic Converter for Windows

'Graphic Converter.net' shows no connection to LemkeSoft on their website so the space in the middle of the name may be due to trademark infringement.

What's up with turning the pic upside down and cropping a 2nd time? Is that like oil painters who turn their canvas upside down so they can look at it without overthinking the content?
Old 07-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #136 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Horse with no name - '00 Ford Mustang Base
Team Mustang
90 day: 20.53 mpg (US)

Orange peel - '00 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 26.83 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
MacPaint? Most any image editor enables resizing. The the gold standard would be GraphicConverter....
Do you mean the GIMP? I actually do most of my photo editing with gthumb. For uploading I use a script that will resize a whole folder at a time. I bet here is something like that for OSX

It is funny how people assume that everyone uses Microsoft windows operation system. I guess as Android/Linux is now the most sold, that will finally change.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #137 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

GIMP is good.

I was trying to make a funny by assuming it wasn't Windows.
Quote:
I bet here[sic] is something like that for OSX
Applescript, Services and Automator
Old 07-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #138 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Horse with no name - '00 Ford Mustang Base
Team Mustang
90 day: 20.53 mpg (US)

Orange peel - '00 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 26.83 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
GIMP is good.

I was trying to make a funny by assuming it wasn't Windows.

Applescript, Services and Automator
I got that. The windows comment was for the paint poster, I guess I should have quoted him too.

I taunt the Mac people by telling them Mac's are PC's.
The Following User Says Thank You to pjbgravely For This Useful Post:
Phantom (08-01-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #139 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I know, right? I was involved from 1980. The way one could put it is the WIMP* interface won. The top half of OSX (Auqua) is similar to Windows, the bottom half (Darwin) is similar to Linux.

*windows, icon, mouse, pull-down menus. Microsoft's FUD prior to their Windows product..
Old 07-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #140 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
I used to reduce image file size for posting here but I find I don't need to any more.

Just post images to photo bucket.com or to your preferred cloud site. Paste your image's address into the dialog box you get from this site's "picture" tool. Larger images are shown in reduced size, with a bar users can click to view full size if wanted.

Reply  Post New Thread