Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 10:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
Jamesqf - how much of your high mileage trips are done coasting with the engine off?
It's hard to say, because I only rarely coast with engine off. The Insight has the mode where the fuel is cut off, and the hybrid system is recharging the battery. The occasions I do shut the engine off are mostly in the winter, when the system otherwise keeps fuel flowing to try to keep the engine temp up.

I don't think those would be my best trips, anyway, at least if I figured round-trip, since I'm climbing a mountain on one half, coasting on the other, and lose a little bit more FE uphill than I get back on the downhill. I'd guess that I average right around 70 mpg fot the up/down mountain parts. The best are level or almost so, where the Insight's lean burn can kick in.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-24-2009, 05:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Cd: engaging drive from neutral when moving in an auto requires you to rev the engine up then move the shift to drive while the motor is still spinning, immediately after you have removed your foot of the gas.

Much like a 'double the clutch' technique.

Dont know if you guys use that phrase.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
I get horrible city MPG, I think its mainly due to my city and my cars weight.

I weighed it in at 4000lbs with nobody in it but me. Going uphill to a stoplight every 300 feet really hurts city as a result. I get as low as 12 mpg sometimes on short trips through town. With some work I can get it into low 20s but most of my city trips arent short enough to get it up there. The car is barely up to temperature by the time I'm at the destination. Even with full grill block.

On the highway I've gotten as high as 35 MPG but I've averaged probably 32~ in summer and 28~ in winter under normal cruising. Automatic transmission

Last edited by brucey; 01-24-2009 at 11:37 AM..
Old 01-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflame View Post
Cd: engaging drive from neutral when moving in an auto requires you to rev the engine up then move the shift to drive while the motor is still spinning, immediately after you have removed your foot of the gas.

Thank you !

I'll try that the next time that I drive. I really appreciate the tip, since this may change my driving style completely ( more coasting ).
I have always noticed that the engine revs up when I get that stutter before shifting back.
In my mind I thought that revving the engine manually before shifting back might have damaged the engine / transmission .

Geez ... how foolish of me, since I have probably been doing more damage by not revving the engine.

I notice that above 50 MPH or so, the car does not shudder and slow, and at around 60 MPH, the change back to 'drive' is completely seamless.The engine also does not rev by itself.

Thanks again for the tip.

If this is already a 'sticky', I missed it.

Hey folks, thanks for posting your mileage figures, but can we all mention whether we drive a manual or an automatic ?
Thanks !
Old 01-24-2009, 11:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
My Vibe is automatic.

I get about 35mpg in city driving @ 40mph. My city trips are never that long, which means the car does not warm up until im on the hwy. However in the city I do as much EOC as possible and I accelerate quickly to get to cruising speed.

My Hwy mileage is a consistent 40-42mpg, achieved @ 55mph with the cruise control engaged. I have seen that P&G on the hwy gets me up to the high 30's quickly, but then plateau's until I set the cruise control.

The car's original est were 22/25 I believe.

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 01-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
What is your

Let me say something before I respond.It requires a minimum of 22-miles of continuous driving at 50-mph to warm a car up.The short commutes many of you members are reporting on are all for"cold" cars and all your mileage would be higher under fully warmed conditions.I suffer from the same situation,as my commute to Denton is only 6-miles,so the T-100 is never "warm" either,except for "out-of-town" travel.------------------- All that mentioned,the truck does low 20s if forced into extended urban driving.Mixed-commuting with tools and building materials on board is in the 26-mpg range.The truck does around 36.5 mpg at 55-mph.It does 32-mpg at 70-mph,falls off to 31 above 75-mph.At a constant 45-mph it gets 39-mpg and if the City of Denton would syncronize the traffic lights,would get above 40 mpg in town.Is that muddy enough water for you?
Old 01-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Daily Driver - '02 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
90 day: 18.45 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflame View Post

not true. If I rev-match my GP it'll downshift and start accelerating. GM decouples the engine ob coasting situations, even at highway speeds. While coasting at 80mph down a pass my engine is at about 1600rpm. If I put it in N it drops to 1200rpm, sometimes 900rpm. There is nearly no engine braking ability with my transmission.

There's one pass I enjoy rockin' down, and I've found N vs D results in 5mph difference of speed, ie 97mph vs 102mph coasting, 97mph being in Drive.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Aero, my temperature guage goes up to 'normal' level within a few minutes ( like around three minutes or less on a 65 degree day. )

So this measurement is for the temperature of the coolant and not the engine or ..... ?

I'm confused.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
Aero, my temperature guage goes up to 'normal' level within a few minutes ( like around three minutes or less on a 65 degree day. )

So this measurement is for the temperature of the coolant and not the engine or ..... ?

I'm confused.
Cd,the engine coolant may,and probably will make it to operating temp within a few minutes.The snag is that all the lubricants and fluids,as well as the rubber components of the car will not and can not achieve their equilibrium temperature until the car has gone 22-miles under constant driving.And for every "cold-start" we begin the process over and over,loosing all advantage of a "warmed-up" car.Throw stop and go driving into the mix and it's a double-pronged assault on your gas tank.--------- This is why urban mpg is typically lower than highway mpg,although it should be the other way around.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Let me say something before I respond.It requires a minimum of 22-miles of continuous driving at 50-mph to warm a car up.The short commutes many of you members are reporting on are all for"cold" cars and all your mileage would be higher under fully warmed conditions.
Not necessarily so. Even in the winter, the Insight only takes about 10 miles (on level roads) to warm up to its normal operating temperature. Since it takes me longer than that to get into town, most of my city driving is with a warm engine.

Reply  Post New Thread