Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2020, 07:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
First, I am of the opinion that the make and model of tire matters so much more than tire size, that changing tire size isn't worth the cost.

But to address the issue you've raised, a 155/80R13 has an allowable rim width of 4 to 5".
I'm researching the best tire for that. Michelin Energy XM2s or Goodyear Duraplus are on my list currently, Yokohama's Bluearth models too since they are pretty well known for having a balanced ride.

Correct me if I'm wrong, since I emphasize on the ETRTO specified rim width too much may I know what happens when you fit a tire on the widest end of its allowed width? Will have any adverse effects? I know it lessens sidewall flexing, which in turn nets lower LRR. All at the expense of comfort I presume.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-13-2020, 09:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
You will have less difficulty finding the 1996-2000 Civic HX rims then you will the 2000 Insight. The HX rim was only 11.75 lb, but that trim was one of the lowest selling trim lines of the Civic in that era.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 07-13-2020 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: "rim" not "room" (silly dictation software).
Old 07-13-2020, 09:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tire Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoblack9 View Post
....... may I know what happens when you fit a tire on the widest end of its allowed width? Will have any adverse effects? ......
There is negligible difference within the allowable rim width range.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!
Old 07-13-2020, 11:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
There is negligible difference within the allowable rim width range.
Thank you CapriRacer, so 155/80/r13s are still on the table alongside 165/70/r13 (same diameter as oem) and 175/70/r13.

Update:
I've double checked the Charade wheels and found it that its 13x5 with an offset of ET40. Original offset of the steelies were ET45. That means these rims would stick out 10mm more closer to the fender but would have the same inside clearance towards the suspension components.

Would it be better that I find a similar offset or would a positive offset of 40 (to offset the .5" wider rim) provide similar to OEM specifications?
Old 07-18-2020, 11:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

If the $$ were not important you can build up some 3 piece ones ,, you might fond some at a dirt car swap meet, look for Dwarf car parts..