Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2019, 02:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Well, I'm sure the 10-speed transmission might be one of the reasons why a Bolivian tourist told me the F-150 is somewhat fuel-efficient for its size, even though our talk was more focused on the engine...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-05-2019, 04:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennored View Post
C7 Corvette 8 speed autos have either 2.41 or 2.73 final drives, and some rather big diameter tires.
Interesting: Seems a BIG bad Corvette with one of the 8L90s does get 29MPG with it.

"The C7's all-new LT1 6.2L Small Block V-8 engine develops 455 horsepower (339 kW) and 460 pound-feet (620 N⋅m) torque, which can accelerate the car from 0-60 mph in 3.8 seconds. "

Now what would a smaller less hot rod engine do with such a transmission is my thinking.

Rich
Old 01-05-2019, 04:30 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

[QUOTE=cRiPpLe_rOoStEr;587755]Well, I'm sure the 10-speed transmission might be one of the reasons why a Bolivian tourist told me the F-150 is somewhat fuel-efficient for its size, even though our talk was more focused on the engine...

OK So what is the MPG??

Rich
Old 01-05-2019, 06:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
I can't find a source for this but I recall reading that the 8-speed box generally skips 1st gear entirely, and also may skip other gears in normal shifting. The Vette does get fantastic economy for what it is, though.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I can't find a source for this but I recall reading that the 8-speed box generally skips 1st gear entirely, and also may skip other gears in normal shifting. The Vette does get fantastic economy for what it is, though.

That seems silly but on the other hand makes sense, on my 2000 Mercury and my 03 Crown Vic if I put it into second, it takes off in that gear. That is to allow a easy take off in snow and ice, it works quite nicely.

Why use a gear if you driving softly?? And skipping a gear also make sense I know a lot of stick shift users will often skip gears once they reach their intended speed. Especially in city driving.

As I understand it that may very well be how they work, luckily there is a sport mode which allows you to use every gear.

I figure I will be driving in that mode, which again as I understand them will shift all gears or I will have to manually shift by paddles or just buttons.

On my Ford the plan is to put in the steering wheel switch for a radio volume control and use it instead to shift up and down as the shift controls.

On the van I will have to figure out something.

Perhaps an aftermarket add on cruse control switches mounted on top of my shift lever...allowing me to change modes and to control the gears. After all a switch is a switch....

OR most likely the controller will include a control box.

Rich

Last edited by racprops; 01-05-2019 at 08:54 AM..
Old 01-05-2019, 10:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,103 Times in 973 Posts
If you have a clock spring, it is easy to install a late model multi switch steering wheel. You will need an appropriate new clock spring unless you are really good at removing. I believe you have to do semi major alterations on pre 2000 vehicles.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:44 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
If you have a clock spring, it is easy to install a late model multi switch steering wheel. You will need an appropriate new clock spring unless you are really good at removing. I believe you have to do semi major alterations on pre 2000 vehicles.
Thanks, but I am told with a 2003 CV I can just pop out the cruse on/off switch and add the one with both cruse and volume controls as they were pre-wired for them, and that the clock spring is also pre-wired. I will just need to find the correct wires to change where they go and hook them up to my controller.

Rich
Old 01-05-2019, 12:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Two overdrive gears is about ideal.

The top gear for running empty under light load.

Next gear down for running without quite a maximal load, but with more challenging terrain.

Then the rear gearing to fit.

As Direct needs to be able to handle a loaded condition and not downshift until the grades are notable.

An empty vehicle doesn’t exist
Old 01-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Two overdrive gears is about ideal.

The top gear for running empty under light load.

Next gear down for running without quite a maximal load, but with more challenging terrain.

Then the rear gearing to fit.

As Direct needs to be able to handle a loaded condition and not downshift until the grades are notable.

An empty vehicle doesn’t exist

I am not sure what your stand is.

You seem to support my idea, but at the end seem against it.

The two Over Drives seem to be the limit n those gears, I have not seen any lower. So the only way to lower my RPMs is in the rear end. Up until lately that meant a BIG drop in take off and hill climbing power, now the ONLY thing I am concerned is can you run in lower gears as long as you want/need.

With the Ford the only thing I do not have numbers for is wind/air resistance and rolling resistance. As these are car and fairly streamlined I do not think wind/air resistance will be a big problem nor rolling resistance.

I have found driving these cars that maintaining speed like 85 MPH not hard at all and can be maintained with light throttle and fair vacuum by gauge.

I feel the only thing causing high fuel consumption is the higher RPMs (2400) caused by the gearing, I don't think running at 1700RPM all that major a drop in torque so it should be able to do it.

Now the Van I do feel as it IS a box, wind/air resistance will be a major problem BUT I believe a Chevy 350 with a stock cam advances 4 degrees running a factory stock TPI (NO Hot Rod tuning to either it or the heads) should have enough torque to handle the lower RPMs .

IF not I have engine to convert to a 383 which has even more low RPM Grunt, and again running a small cam called a peanut cam with it torque peek at 2200 RPMs.

Rich

Last edited by racprops; 01-05-2019 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: More thoughts
Old 01-05-2019, 05:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Seems to me that anything past 6-7 gears is a waste. Maybe in a diesel truck where you have large loads and a limited rev range.

Reply  Post New Thread