Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #101 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
I would love to see gasoline prices top $4/gallon again, as that's the only way Joe Six-Pack will get the message...
I'd like to think so, but my pessimistic side says Joe ain't NEVER going to get it. Gas will go to $4, and he'll whine & cry for a bit, but then he'll get used to it. Then gas will go to $5, then $6, just like it went to $2 and $3. Every time the same thing: whining & crying until it drops a bit, then back to guzzling as usual.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #102 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Go to just about any car site except this one and you can get all the evidence you need to see that yes, Joe doesn't have a GD clue.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #103 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
I read about 7 pages of this and just got plain tired.

I do want to say this, GM employees got paid way to much for what they were doing. Some of them got paid to sit in a building and do nothing. (unions)

I hated hearing people making as much as my parents do that only put tires on a car.

Most truck guys have accepted that they won't get by for cheap on gas.

Last edited by MadisonMPG; 10-04-2009 at 04:35 PM..
Old 10-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #104 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Politics

Poli=Many
Tics=Blood sucking leeches

regards
Mech
Old 10-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #105 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

So a detail, I see the magic 55 thrown up time and again as more efficient,

Well my little 318ti bmw peaks its highway mileage at 68. Not 55.
I get a consistent 34 to 36 MPG at 68. I get about 32 at 55.

My jeep Wrangler gets the typical 15 from 45 to 64,
after that the mileage drops with speed. Of course its
as aero as a drag chute. So its my special purpose rig
and only gets driven when I need the terrain capabilities of it.

I rent a lot of vehicles and the Chevy Malibu is magical it gets 32 at 75 MPH.
The Saturn Aura with the 6 speed Auto does the same.

The base Cobalt I got a month or two ago was lucky to break 25... 3 spd auto and no cruise.... ick.

Its all about tuning, design, gearing, and aero.

Dave
Old 10-04-2009, 06:22 PM   #106 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
(you may want to take the statement that you get better MPG's going faster)
Old 10-04-2009, 06:28 PM   #107 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Gosh... such a thought, I have to laugh.

Yea, GM workers are over paid- NOT!

I have a copy of the 2009 UAW/GM agreement summary which goes into much detail of the many many hits the UAW members took on to keep the company in the black. The media, such as CNN, has broadcasted fairy tales about production workers making around $75.00 an hour, well counting everything such a worker may get, it does not come close to that number.

Much, if not most, of GM's labor content comes from outsource plants that pay workers a tiny fraction of what UAW members get, and the newly hired on full time GM production workers start out at $14.00 / hour for some of the hardest labor I have ever seen in a plant first hand. GM outsources labor to CHINA even, and I'm sorry, but I do not see anything smart about that. And they are now using temporary workers to a large degree that can be paid any amount they agree too without the UAW being able to say anything about it! I used to work production involving SMT electronics for a auto part that was sold 80% to G.M. MY SALARY WAS 8.00 an hour!! Everyone feels they deserve there OWN salary, but other workers don't. The fact is most of the workers that are involved with building a typical G.M. car make far far less than the news media tries to say. I should know because I have worked for a few companies that supplied GM for many years.

GM has been mis-managed for many years, and that is of no fault of their workers. They had CEOs take millions of $$ in bonuses even in the years they lost market share and were laying off a large chunks of their work force. Yeah, real good job guys, the president of GM deserves 50 million in bonuses because you just lost only 10% market share last year. Nobody thinks about how many workers they could pay with all of that CEO money, or how much less they could price their cars at, all some site is the "workers" which seems to imply the white collar managers do not work- but they work too. Many auto analyst even express their feelings that the ones that screwed up GM were the managers. All of the stories of pop bottles inside of doors that made noise until a mechanic found it with a nasty note should of NEVER EVER got out of that company if they had good managers overseeing the lines. And those managers should of fired if not sued those employed for destroying company property, goofing of on company time, and impacting the good name of General Motors. Good managers would not of let a company that had such a large market share dissolve to where they are- the vast majority of their current workers are only doing what they are told today because they fear greatly for their very livelihoods now just as they have in my entire life growing up ever since I lived in Flint Michigan- now a ghetto.

The middle class, middle income earners are quickly becoming a dyeing group here. And I see nobody doing anything to stop it. The media is not always correct, as we all have clearly seen, but recently there was some outfit that claimed that nearly 80% of recent College Graduates ended up working at McDonalds due to the lack of jobs in the fields they majored in, and because it seems McDonalds offers a decent health care and retirement package. Man, who would of ever "thunked it"?

Alright, with that said... Has anybody got a clue what OIL CLOSED AT last Friday? I missed it!

Last edited by Jammer; 10-04-2009 at 06:49 PM..
Old 10-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #108 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonMPG View Post
(you may want to take the statement that you get better MPG's going faster)
Also the 25MPG on the Cobalt... Most of us here mean the COBALT XFE, not the regular Cobalt. Check my folder on profile and you can see what I get. I have never got less than 34 MPG.

This is honestly what I have been getting on average for the past 2 weeks. Some days it drops a tenth or two, and other days I gain those numbers back. This number below is a total MPG from the moment I started driving the car last July. It is not just the mileage for one tank or one trip. It reflects the over all mileage I have got.

Again, this is a Cobalt LS Coupe XFE with a driver that has spent much time driving in EOC whenever possible. If I was to hod rod this car and take it 100MPH and do jack-rabit stops and gos I might get crappy 25mpg too. One has to use common sense when driving and look far ahead and anticipate as much as one can while using the hypermilling skills from this site.

Last edited by Jammer; 10-04-2009 at 08:16 PM..
Old 10-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #109 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Jammer -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Again, this is a Cobalt LS Coupe XFE with a driver that has spent much time driving in EOC whenever possible. If I was to hod rod this car and take it 100MPH and do jack-rabit stops and gos I might get crappy 25mpg too. One has to use common sense when driving and look far ahead and anticipate as much as one can while using the hypermilling skills from this site.
I don't know if it is in the tips, but there was a book in the 1950's on high MPG driving, and one of it's principles was "Drive the Road Ahead". Regardless of the book, I think this is a universal driving rule. It applies to safety as well, i.e. looking for ways to escape accidents.

Does the Cobalt "figure out" you are in EOC when you drive and increase your MPG AVG display accordingly? That would be an accidental bonus if true.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 10-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #110 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Gosh... such a thought, I have to laugh.

Yea, GM workers are over paid- NOT!
If the people around you are only getting paid that much I feel sorry, everyone I know that works for GM, Ford, etc makes (or better yet made) 25 dollars or more an hour. Granted these people had worked there all their life. I can talk more about this, but I don't think I can get anywhere.

I toured the Corvette plant and saw a guy reading the paper, and about every 8 minutes he would get up and put two badges and the Corvette and go sit down. I asked the guy there and he said that that man was making 23-28 dollars and hour. I promptly replied that you could train a chimp to do the same thing for a banana.

Reply  Post New Thread