Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2011, 02:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

not

the rest will not be ignored
the only things im basically stuck with are a 66 inch width, and a wheelbase of 89 inches because of the drivetrain. So that means yes, there will be rear mods, underside mods, tire mods etc.
Think i found a better fit for the windshield now, the honda insight is 66.7 inches wide so i wouldnt be gaining as many inches for the windshield mod.

for the creation of the boat tail as linked in that picture, i find it difficult to read. are the numbers the change in degree or are they coordinates on a x/y grid? Basically, for every 1 foot towards the back of the car how many inches towards the ground should it advance?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-30-2011, 02:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

OurInsight - '06 Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
My neighbor ditched his Miata ,got a CRX and picked up 12 mpg without lifting a finger.
I think Phil has this right. Better to ditch the Miata while it looks good and is in stock form, retaining its value. Switch to something which is basically more promising like a CRX or even a first gen Insight, if you can find it.

Get your objectives straight in your mind. Do you want to work the usual ecomodding approach to improved fuel economy, or do you want a custom street rod?

Making basic changes such as windshield angle are very difficult technically, and the associated adaptations, such top, seats, doors, side glass, etc. just ripple on forever.

If you are determined to proceed with the Miata, I'd buy a good front spoiler such a the one by flyingmiata.com, built a complete smooth belly pan, remove the right side mirror, possibly add rear tire spats. Then I'd look at constructing a template derived extension of the hardtop rear, with new rear window.

Can such a thing pass road safety inspection in your state?????
Old 10-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hot Tamale - '10 Toyota Prius III
Muffildy, if you're gonna go all-out, use the rear hatch glass from a 1984 Camaro:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1984_chevrolet_camaro-pic-31793 (640x480).jpg
Views:	32
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	9677  
Old 10-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

all out

yes, this is an all out project
none of the unibody will be re-used, we are going to be bending/welding a completely new body and attaching it to a tube frame chassis.
the 1984 camero rear window is a good idea, only problem is that the camero is 72 inches wide, which is 6 inches more wide than the miata; since we are using the A-arms/differential etc that would mean i would need to get longer CV joints which can be pricey; do you know of a similar rear window thats made for a 66 inch wide car? If i used the insight front windshield i would be at 66.7 wide instead so between 66 and 67 would be good. 68 might be pushing the CV joint issue.
also a 3000 dollar windshield is out of the question - budget is not that big.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

OurInsight - '06 Honda Insight
Check out using an Insight hatch. It should be about the right width. Any Insight parts you can hang on your tube frame will put you ahead of the game weight wise. If you could use the entire roof and A pillar assembly you would get the windshield and the nice shallow angle that it has. Just one of many options I'm sure.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Put an Insight body on your sandrail chasis?

Or get a junked Insight and give it the power train you want it to have. You'll start with really good aero and a lightweight shell.

Last edited by brucepick; 10-30-2011 at 12:18 PM..
Old 10-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

food for thought

hrm, may do just that; i was going to go more for a full boat tail but i cant seem to find glass for that option.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffildy View Post
hrm, may do just that; i was going to go more for a full boat tail but i cant seem to find glass for that option.
Just a quick guess - but the Gen 1 Insight might be a good candidate for a boattail add-on. Maybe you could find a way to keep the rear glass functional with the added tail?

Old 10-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hot Tamale - '10 Toyota Prius III
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffildy View Post
yes, this is an all out project
none of the unibody will be re-used, we are going to be bending/welding a completely new body and attaching it to a tube frame chassis.
the 1984 camero rear window is a good idea, only problem is that the camero is 72 inches wide, which is 6 inches more wide than the miata; since we are using the A-arms/differential etc that would mean i would need to get longer CV joints which can be pricey; do you know of a similar rear window thats made for a 66 inch wide car? If i used the insight front windshield i would be at 66.7 wide instead so between 66 and 67 would be good. 68 might be pushing the CV joint issue.
also a 3000 dollar windshield is out of the question - budget is not that big.
Well the Camaro glass isn't as wide as the car. I think it's very close to the overall width of a Ford Probe. It might be just the size you need.

Another option might be a Corvette hatch glass. But I imagine it would cost more than a Camaro hatch.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
CFECO

X-Car - '11 Homemade 2+2

Velbly1 - '17 Toyota Camery XSE
90 day: 29 mpg (US)

Velbly2 - '13 Toyota Tundra
90 day: 18.03 mpg (US)
Nissan Murano rear glass looks good, though the glass is not laminated windshield glass = not legal for use as one. Has a wiper already built in though.

Last edited by CFECO; 11-21-2013 at 04:28 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread