Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2009, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
Wonderboy's Tercel EV Conversion

Continued from the back story of the other components I've acquired for this project... I opted out of converting my 91 civic hatch (decided to get it running again as a gasser for my girlfriend) and found this 96 tercel on CL for $250

Yes, it's frickin' ugly, and that's not even the reason the guy sold it. His friends thought he was taking it to the junkyard, so they gave it that nice little paint job before sending it off only to find he'd gotten a buyer on CL (me). Pretty irresponsible thing to do even if its getting sent to a yard, but I don't mind so much. Here's the real reason he sold it:

See that hole in the engine block? That's a big-ass hole in the engine block.
I managed to get the engine, exhaust system, radiator, and fuel tank out. I will try to sell the latter three items as they are in pretty good shape.

Here's what it looks like now.

One of my parents' neighbors is a retired HVAC guy who has the tools to safely evacuate the coolant in the AC, which I left hanging in there. Getting the engine out with the trans still mounted at the rear was quite a battle, but I managed. In retrospect I probably should've just taken the whole thing out, making the adapter plate creation and alignment easier.

Here are all the useful components I ripped from that orange utility cart:

Next steps:
-Controller (planning on buying/building open revolt )
-More batteries (either 6 more used 6v or 6 12v. seeking local sources. So far I know there's an exide plant about an hour away, and an industrial equipment install/supply/repair place about 2 hours away. I'm not lucky enough to have a neighborhood EV dealer like Ben Nelson, but I wouldn't mind driving up to the nearest (ZAP in Boston area) if the price is right. Any help in the battery acquisition area would be much appreciated)
-Adapter plate (Still haven't decided on whether to embark on this myself or find a machinist - still making rounds with my connections.)
-1 rear wheel cylinder (pas. side rear brake doesn't work)
-Body work (fix the only rust on the car at the rear of the rocker panels and PAINT this ugly beast back to stock black.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Looks good! Did you still pay $250 for it? I'd have probably offered the guy $200 after seeing that it was painted like that, unless you agreed to $250 knowing that it was painted.

Either way, it was a good deal. You should probably see if you can sell that head as well, or sell the whole motor for parts... Could bring you another $50 or so, core price, anyway.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Woohoo - another project under way.

(You should post a link at the end of your mother lode EV parts thread directing people here.)

Adapter plate is easy. You can make one with hand tools if you get a piece of aluminum plate.

I've also seen some conversions cleverly slice the end of the ICE block off, and use that as their adapter plate!

The coupler is going to be a bit harder to do.

Remind us again what your performance/range goals are?
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 11-27-2009, 12:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Woohoo - another project under way.

(You should post a link at the end of your mother lode EV parts thread directing people here.)

Adapter plate is easy. You can make one with hand tools if you get a piece of aluminum plate.

I've also seen some conversions cleverly slice the end of the ICE block off, and use that as their adapter plate!

Looks like it might be the perfect use for the block, then you can still sell the head and make that extra $50!

For the coupler, if you don't plan on using the clutch disk, you can take the center hub out of it, weld it onto the end of a properly sized/length tube that matches the output end of your motor, and you should be good to go there.

By the way, if you need a template for an adapter plate, that dust shield behind the flywheel is perfect for that, as well.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Looking good! Guess you won't have time to come help me play with me car (which is a good thing I think)

I think you should keep the paint job
Old 11-27-2009, 01:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Woohoo, another conversion.

BTW, lemme know what parts you are getting rid of. That is the same engine I have in my Paseo and I might be interested.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:

I can't use the end of the block because that's where the hole and crack are. The crack in the engine runs all the way to the interface with the trans... I could get a better picture when I take pictures of the things I intend to sell. That dust shield, however, is perfect. I may be able to use the hub from the clutch to help me make the coupler, as topher mentioned.

I'd be very happy with 20-30 miles, with a top speed of 45mph and slow acceleration. I'm expecting less in both, but a guy can dream, no? That 36v motor looks pretty small compared to the more popular bigger conversion motors, and I don't know what to expect when I run twice the voltage rating through it.
Quote:
Looking good! Guess you won't have time to come help me play with me car (which is a good thing I think)
I knew you didn't want me around

Quote:
I think you should keep the paint job
How about I give that paint job to your car then paint this one black? I'm pretty good with a spray can and I think I can duplicate that rich detailing to your satisfaction on the IRX.

Quote:
BTW, lemme know what parts you are getting rid of. That is the same engine I have in my Paseo and I might be interested.
I'm getting rid of everything ICE related. Everything but the block and maybe the head is in great shape (although there was some oil in the intake box for some reason - I think this engine quite literally blew up.). I removed the exhaust from the manifold and the manifold from the head without any issue (no shearing off of bolts) and it's nice and solid - nothing rusting away. Radiator is good, power steering, AC system (sans coolant of course), fuel tank/pump, et cetera. I'll likely make a FS post here for a while and see if tercel/paseo people need anything, then move to CL.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Nice!
Subscribed
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Old 11-30-2009, 12:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Eco-Fit - '13 Honda Fit Base
90 day: 37.06 mpg (US)
Subscribed, looking forward to the project.

Did you end up getting the Honda into running condition for the wife, uh girlfriend?

Old 11-30-2009, 01:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

One of the previous owners of that civic apparently began an MPFI swap, but didn't seem to know well what he was doing because the car came with 2 DPFI intake assemblies, an extra harness, and 3 Td-01u dizzys. Both harnesses are hacked up a bit (don't know if it was done correctly). The appropriate ECU is actually there, and Christ just came through with the right dizzy for me. This car will probably get its own thread too, eventually.

EDIT: My honda hatch is still for sale, but for 400 now that I've acquired a few more parts for it to get it running. Actually, anything I own is for sale for the right price Anyone want to trade an HX for my 98 Civic EX? How about an Insight?

Last edited by Wonderboy; 11-30-2009 at 03:46 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread