Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2011, 11:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanspeed1 View Post
Cheap homemade hybrid. The plans are old, but after just a glance, simple and easily updateable.

Take a look...................Electric Car Conversion: The Amazing 75-MPG Hybrid Car
The only only reason why this happy place, ecomodder.com, should exist is for experimenters who don't argue but head to the garage with test intruments in hand and tools in the other. Those who can back up their reports with gas reciepts and odometer readings and not just the blind parroting of what they think others have once claimed.

So I wish you GOOD LUCK and please share your results.

Bob Wilson

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bwilson4web For This Useful Post:
cleanspeed1 (07-28-2011), Quasimoto (07-31-2011), Ryland (07-29-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-28-2011, 11:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson4web View Post
The only only reason why this happy place, ecomodder.com, should exist is for experimenters who don't argue but head to the garage with test intruments in hand and tools in the other. Those who can back up their reports with gas reciepts and odometer readings and not just the blind parroting of what they think others have once claimed.

So I wish you GOOD LUCK and please share your results.

Bob Wilson

Thanks BW, I'll keep everyone posted.

I might do a poll to see what chassis to put the combo into.

You know, that would be a good idea.

Big n' Boxy, Never met a Hill it Didn't Like
Old 07-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
The problem is all the losses going from gasoline through an engine through a generator through a conditioner through a controller through a motor, all to rotate a shaft (which the motor was doing in the first place).
Sure, it's why the Volt doesn't really work.
Its generator is too big and on average too inefficient as it also needs to be able to power the car by itself.

This generator won't ever power the car directly - as in the upcoming Audi A1, with a small Wankel generator - so the generator is waaaay smaller, and operates at near peak efficiency all the time it's on.

That's what makes this set-up efficient.

Audi wouldn't be going along this route if they weren't sure it's feasible.
And they have some pretty tough in-house competition - TDis - that any project is having to compete with !

Last edited by euromodder; 07-29-2011 at 02:17 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to euromodder For This Useful Post:
cleanspeed1 (07-31-2011)
Old 07-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Quote:

You know, that would be a good idea.
If you are after suggestions:
  • 1960-70s VW MicroBus - they have a lot of interior space and the engine compartment is easy to work in. Be sure and get a manual transaxle so you have the option to change the motor-to-gear ratio. Brakes and steering are manual but I would recommend rebuilding the front steering linkages and ball joints as part of the project.
  • GEO Metro - anything you do to it would be an improvement and they can probably be gotten very cheap.
  • Ford Focus/Toyota Echo - again, manual transmission, they are small enough going manual steering and braking is probably going to be OK.
Also, design the engine mount to support each swap/change-out. You may want to consider some advanced engine options later.

Seriously, GOOD LUCK! It sounds like a great project.

Bob Wilson
Old 07-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

One of the things that the inventor did was change out the 4 stroke Briggs and Stratton for a two stroker that had more power and lighter weight.

The Opel then went 100 mpg at will. No fancy driving techniques, nothing.

I did not know this until I bought the plans.

Friends, I am more motivated now to do this just because it just has to be done, to prove it out.

I am beginning the poll after I post here.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Something pretty light @ aerodynamic : the AeroCivic

No need for a huge battery pack as it's merely buffering between fixed production and fluctuating demand while driving.

The Following User Says Thank You to euromodder For This Useful Post:
cleanspeed1 (07-31-2011)
Old 07-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
One of the things that the inventor did was change out the 4 stroke Briggs and Stratton for a two stroker that had more power and lighter weight.

The Opel then went 100 mpg at will. No fancy driving techniques, nothing.

I did not know this until I bought the plans.

Friends, I am more motivated now to do this just because it just has to be done, to prove it out.

I am beginning the poll after I post here.
Find a DI 2 stroker and you might be golden, my subaru 360 only gets in the 60ish area despite being 900lbs but is a simple 1970 360cc 2 cycle.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
You do need space for a battery pack tho because at 65mph you are going to be pulling 15,000 to 20,000 watts or so and a 1000 watt generator is not going to keep up, that is why a vehicle like this is ideal for stop and go traffic, even the Tesla Roadster going 100mph draws nearly 60,000 watts and it's a really small smooth car.
My point is, if you do the math you will see that altho you might be able to easily get up to 100mph, once you are there your batteries will be dead and you will start slowing down.
If I was working on a project like this I would start out with a really small pickup truck, something like a regular cab Toyota from the early '90s as they weigh 2,560 pounds, strip off the bed to cut the weight down more and do a direct drive to the rear axle, this will save a bunch of space under the hood and allow you to either put your generator under the hood, or behind the rear axle, or keep the bed and just toss your batteries, generator and everything else back there, this would allow for a quick and dirty build.
If you wanted to go all out with a project like this you could then save even more weight by pulling the whole front end of the truck apart and replacing it with one of those fancy one piece fiber glass hood and fender deals, giving you alot of freedom up front for battery and generator placement.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
cleanspeed1 (07-29-2011)
Old 07-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
You do need space for a battery pack tho because at 65mph you are going to be pulling 15,000 to 20,000 watts or so and a 1000 watt generator is not going to keep up, that is why a vehicle like this is ideal for stop and go traffic, even the Tesla Roadster going 100mph draws nearly 60,000 watts and it's a really small smooth car.
My point is, if you do the math you will see that altho you might be able to easily get up to 100mph, once you are there your batteries will be dead and you will start slowing down.
If I was working on a project like this I would start out with a really small pickup truck, something like a regular cab Toyota from the early '90s as they weigh 2,560 pounds, strip off the bed to cut the weight down more and do a direct drive to the rear axle, this will save a bunch of space under the hood and allow you to either put your generator under the hood, or behind the rear axle, or keep the bed and just toss your batteries, generator and everything else back there, this would allow for a quick and dirty build.
If you wanted to go all out with a project like this you could then save even more weight by pulling the whole front end of the truck apart and replacing it with one of those fancy one piece fiber glass hood and fender deals, giving you alot of freedom up front for battery and generator placement.
On an updated article, the inventor took a Toyota 4x4 pickup, pulled the rear driveshaft out, hooked up an electric motor and threw the hybrid drive in the bed.

Here's the update............if you're EV literate you can skip through to the punchline...........EARTH DIARY: 1993 Updateave Arthurs' Amazing Hybrid Electric Car

Old 07-30-2011, 12:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
They are conveniently vague, is that 90mpg starting out with a full battery and ending with a dead battery or running purely off the generator? know how the sales people of plug in hybrid kits like to market their product I would have to say that the 90mpg is ending with a dead battery and if so then how big is that battery and how much energy was used?
This is why I like solid numbers all around, I'm not trying to put down the hybrid idea but I like honest information.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
rmay635703 (07-31-2011)
Reply  Post New Thread