Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2016, 12:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Worse than a fastback design?

I am building a custom car with the following rear end shape:

When I showed this on one forum, a member claimed there was no way air could flow around the taper and said my design couldn't possibly hit under 0.30 CD regardless of the otherwise gently sloping shape (the hood slope joins all the way down to the floor, no bumper deadzone, no discontinuities between the hood/windshield/roof/tail).

Is the taper actually hurting my design vs. say, an untapered fast back shape or even a curved hatchback design like on a Chevrolet Sonic?

I know it's no boat tail, but I wonder how tapering could be, perhaps, worse than nothing.

Assuming I failed miserably at designing the rear shape, any crafty ways/places from which to duct air to fill any discontinuity vacuum in the rear?

I('d) really appreciate any help here.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-30-2016, 12:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
The front fender tops appear to me to slope too much and result in disturbed flow quite a way back. The rear appears to me to taper in too quickly in plan view.

I'm not convinced ducting is ever the best solution because ducts add surface area and thus surface drag vs a correct form.

I agree that sub .30 seems unlikely.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-06-2016), Xist (07-01-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 12:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ok, so it tapers in too quickly...would it actually be better off as a hatchback e.g. no taper at all? I know even some hatchbacks get about 0.3 CD.

And I think I see what you mean about the sides. As in they push air up, only to curve into an area where it's quickly pulled down a bit, thus causing a vacuum/turbulence area? How much CD would you guess that issue alone costs and what's a good way to fix it (simply keep sloping upward and very gently start curving downward to meet the very side/tail area)?
The Following User Says Thank You to mikesheiman For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-06-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 03:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
If it drives tuft test it.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The taper resembles some of the human powered vehicle shells. First tuft test the shape you have with and without a rear deck wing. Dr. Joseph Katz has some good books that are less expensive than Hucho's grand book. My suggestion is to use a shape based on a 5:1 airfoil with a Kamm tail at 0.75 the length.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
Aerodynamics by George Kachadoorian | Photobucket

A picture is worth a thousand words?

I included Frank's in-fill comment for the front wheel, that of course would be a rounded edge, just showing the concept here.

As originally presented, looks like one of those designs which would perform better backwards - sorry.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kach22i For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (06-30-2016), Xist (07-01-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 11:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
The taper resembles some of the human powered vehicle shells. First tuft test the shape you have with and without a rear deck wing. Dr. Joseph Katz has some good books that are less expensive than Hucho's grand book. My suggestion is to use a shape based on a 5:1 airfoil with a Kamm tail at 0.75 the length.
Will do and thank you!
The Kamm tail/desk wing seems to be an obvious mod to test. Will look into/read-up on Katz.

When you say 0.75 the length, do you mean 75% of a full teardrop shaped rear end (seems a bit long), or % of what, exactly?

The real mystery to me is how much should I taper the rear...given I'm starting with flat sides at about 70 inches width, what should my width be about, say, 3 feet back?

Or should I just try cutting off the back end taper entirely (straight down, forming a Kammback on the sides of the rear wheel) and just leave the rear wheel fairing sticking out of the back area with its further extended Kammback?
Old 06-30-2016, 11:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
Aerodynamics by George Kachadoorian | Photobucket

A picture is worth a thousand words?

I included Frank's in-fill comment for the front wheel, that of course would be a rounded edge, just showing the concept here.

As originally presented, looks like one of those designs which would perform better backwards - sorry.
Indeed...that just looks awesome and makes perfect sense...love the whole angled taper concept!

Far as the fill-in (actual fabrication), any recommendations on how to achieve that (materials, tools, method) without it looking like a really crude hack job and having to mess with redoing the fiberglass? I figure that's something I could knock out quickly given the right method, unlike the rear section redo.

And, agreed, it does look like it would perform better backward, but then how would/could I make it stable as a 3 wheeled vehicle and have enough headroom for the rear passengers? Not asking that as a rhetorical question...I may well (if only quite eventually) remake the car in such a body style eventually if it's possible.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

So I'm guessing 10-12 degrees is the suggested angle range for any and all tapers in the back (essentially along straight lines inward)?
Old 06-30-2016, 11:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesheiman View Post
Far as the fill-in (actual fabrication), any recommendations on how to achieve that (materials, tools, method) without it looking like a really crude hack job and having to mess with redoing the fiberglass? I figure that's something I could knock out quickly given the right method, unlike the rear section redo.
This is what I did, and it lasted.........but some will cringe.

Bodywork on S10 Pick Up - Epoxy - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

Quote:
Cab hole; This was repaired once before, opened it up and not a lot left to work with. I took a can of spray foam and let it form a backer (despite knowing that it may absorb moisture over time). I chopped up some fiberglass strands and epoxied them, using plastic wrap and tape to defeat gravity.
I'm thinking you could glue on some foam or spay foam on and shave off the excess, then glass it up.

My repair using foam lasted longer than the non-foam side, so my worries about the foam holding moisture turned out to be unwarranted.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html
The Following User Says Thank You to kach22i For This Useful Post:
Xist (07-01-2016)
Reply  Post New Thread