Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Which of the following hurt FE the most?
Poorly timed traffic lights 41 68.33%
Too high a speed limit 16 26.67%
Too low a speed limit 6 10.00%
Unnecessary stop signs 26 43.33%
Speed bumps 10 16.67%
Overly sensitive traffic lights 8 13.33%
Lack of sufficient lanes 8 13.33%
Toll roads 2 3.33%
Speed limit changes 7 11.67%
Unnecessaary traffic lights 26 43.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
I voted for the first two because you really can't argue with the impact that idling and speeding has on fuel consumption. I've actually started to change my driving routes based on speed as much as anything else. Through exhaustive research, I've been able to determine that my car uses less fuel at 40-45 mph than it does at 65 mph.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rookie Ecomodder

zoomzoom - '06 Mazda 6i sport
The county recently put up a new light on my commute route. Now the intersection went from tolerable to worse. -Anytime the government gets involved with anything it instantly goes to hell.

-and just because of a few impatient or incompetent drivers getting in an accident they have to go and put up a signal so the other 99% has to suffer.

I usually try to change my route when encountering dumb signals, but sometimes there are no options.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Un -synced stoplights are the ultra badboys here. If you travel to different towns, you can anticipate the light at the top of your game, and still get messed up.

Unfortunately, re-syncing by the powers that be, seems be be all too infrequent. Supposedly; this is an expensive task that many cities, and towns just.... don't want to go there!

Maybe we should all try to clone ourselves; to put better drivers on the road. It might
make Frank's day a little cheerier!
06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]
Old 03-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Even more drivers on the road?!?

Old 03-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,801 Times in 938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Population growth.

Where I used to be able to cruise straight through (and I ain't THAT old) from A to B is now littered with intersections, stop signs, and stop lights which inevitably are red when approached. Cruise straight through = modest, constant speed in top gear = max fe vs. constant accel/decel, low gears, brakes, etc.

Then the traf**** density sometimes will prevent getting through a red on the first cycle which leads to even more idling and probably more intense jackrabbit starts.

The sheer quantity of firing cylinders at any given moment has forced the development of complicated and expensive computer emission controls (in some cases for the better and in some cases not).

The sheer demand for fuel forces prices higher for all, including those who don't flagrantly burn a lot of it.

The sheer volume and density of motorized vehicles operating, combined with society's acceptance of removal of mufflers, means that one's chances of finding a place where their right to enjoy their own property unspoiled has become increasingly elusive.

Combined with the increased volume of semi-truck traf**** needed to supply the increased amount of consumers with all the plastic disposable stuff they buy then discard a short time later means formerly relatively desolate "country" roads are now filled with trucks, commuters, and mufflerless joy riders. That leads to more waiting for merges, etc.

So, mustering up their best anti-logic, government, churches, and the general population of idiots decide that paying people to reproduce makes the most sense.

"Progress"
This, x1000. But since it isn't an option on the poll, I have to choose unnecessary lights/stop signs. There are plenty of intersections around here that would be much better served by roundabouts where the majority of cars could coast through without stopping.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Lights and signs get my vote. There's no way to time a stop sign, it pulls you to a complete stop every time, but traffic lights generally affect a larger number of people.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aveomiler View Post
As most of my driving is done in the city, I have a feeling that unnecessary stop signs are a real killer to my FE. When there are consecutive stop signs at every street it is very tough to get good gas mileage. I cannot engine off coast in my car, and putting my car into neutral while I coast only raises my fuel consumption at speeds above 10-15 mph. As a result my routine when going through multiple stop signs involves a lot of braking, which indirectly kills my fuel economy.
It's the same situation here in the suburbs of NY City. The perverse logic is that if two stops signs are good for an intersection, then 4-way stops must be even better. In the past 40 years I've facetiously mused that I'd eventually see the day when they would put a stop sign in the middle of a block. That day has arrived, and these are now often seen at a cross street that does not pass through, being in effect a three way intersection. The neighborhoods that are worst in haviong abundant stop signs are usually those that want to drastically reduce all vehicular traffic - so the residents lobby to erect a stop sign on literally every corner. It does nothing to improve traffic safety, but it does give a sense of empowerment to those who push to keep all traffic out of their domain. And of course, as with most laws, once implemented they are never repealed - nor are stop signs ever removed, once erected.

Most stop signs could be replaced with yield signs. But there are several reasons why this will never happen. First, most brain-dead American motorists either cannot read English or can't comprehend what 'yield' means. Also, since running a yield sign and causing an accident is a 'prima facie' case, most lawyers would be opposed to it because there is nothing to argue about. Most police departments would not appreciate this either, as the opportunity for 'revenue enhancement' in monitoring stop sign violations would be reduced.

I can remember when permitting a 'right turn on red' was introduced here. It was seen as radical, dangerous and fiercely opposed by some at the time. Guess which side of the political spectrum opposed it most vehemently?
Old 03-23-2012, 01:37 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Even more drivers on the road?!?
I might be wrong, but this poll seems to pertain specifically to those things that a civil engineer would have some level of control over. I can think of dozens of other things that would have a major impact on fuel consumption but that are outside the sphere of influence of someone who is designing traffic ways.

In my opinion, one of the biggest offenders that is not listed in this poll is carpool lanes. In my experience, carpool lanes are responsible for the greatest number of freeway traffic jams. Granted, it is the drivers' faults, but they are enabled by poorly engineered roads.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
In your opinion, which traffic impediments are the worst in terms of affecting real world fuel economy?
I think I listed the worst ones.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:51 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Emperor

I was just assuming that "of the following" was omitted. It is a poll, after all.

I do like the idea of restricting people to only driving certain days of the week. That way, people could be forced to carpool or take public transportation.