Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > The Unicorn Corral
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

XADO metal repair, anyone tried it?

XADO is a liquid product that claims to be able to repair pressurized metal parts in a vehicle when added to the oil. Varieties for power stearing, the engine, and the transmission are offered.

My main point is that if this works it would improve fuel economy by incresing compresion, and also increase power.

The company claims it was sold in Europe and was sucessful, its now sold in the U.S.

It was advertized in a recent motor trend magazine.

Anyone tried it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Been out for years.

Look at it from a logical perspective. XADO claims it creates a ceramic layer over worn metal. And somehow, this is supposed to happen in an engine with pistons moving at 600 - 6000 rpm.

This is ceramic coating. Requires even application and oven curing with no other contaminants coming between the metal and the coating.

This is what happens when you let it build on its own:

Okay, so that's a shameless exaggeration. The more mundane truth is that the ceramic additive will polish your bearings and probably make them smoother (imagine it as sand-blasting your engine internals), but they won't build up a permanent layer. If you have any small leaks, it will sometimes build up where those leaks are and seal them (much like sediment builds up where water "leaks" out of your shower head), but a lot of times, it won't. Reviews for XADO are mixed.

Personally, get a better motor oil or something with zinc, which helps prolong bearing life.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
FWIW most diesel engine oils contain far more ZDDP (zinc) than equivalent weight gasoline engine oils.
The Following User Says Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
Afrersize (11-06-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sadly, the most recent diesel specifications still require lower ZDDP content than the old oils we knew and loved.

Brad Penn makes a line of oils that are basically identical to the old formulation of Kendall GT-1, which was good stuff. Joe Gibbs also has old-style oils as well, and a few others also. I think they are sold for "off road use only" or "race track only" because they do not meet the current specs, but they should be kinder to older motors.

-soD
The Following User Says Thank You to some_other_dave For This Useful Post:
ron (11-09-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Xado seems to work

I have used the Xado engine and automatic transmission treatment and have had good results. I converted my 1998 Honda Civic, which now has 57,000 miles, to run on E85 a year ago and it has been running well. After 300 miles the Xado treatments have made the engine feel a bit smoother and a bit more responsive. I have not changed my oil since I put the Xado treatments in and I have not done any testing on it, but just based on my observations I would recommend it for vehicles with over 50,000 miles. Is it worth the money? I can't say, but it seems to be having a positive effect.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ecomoddically recovering

Pandamera - '06 Fiat Panda LPG
90 day: 39.21 mpg (US)
Used Xado on my previous car, an Alfa Romeo 156 on LPG. It was given to me by a friend and I decided to give it a try given the fact the car had done 185.000 km. Engine seemed to run somewhat smoother after adding. Never checked for economy improvement, it was before my ecomoddin' days...
Old 01-04-2013, 02:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Your car looks ridiculous

The Fantastic Festiva - '90 Ford Festiva L
90 day: 43.16 mpg (US)

A Civic Duty - '96 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 34.9 mpg (US)

Ranger Danger - '96 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 17.42 mpg (US)
Yeah I mean that's what we need with all of these new technologies and claims: pure and simple testing. Nothing complicated. I would just do dry and wet compression tests before and after using XADO and do another one a week later, a month later, and so on. A lot of the claims with these weird products are extraordinary and strange, but I will not dismiss them as crazy or accept them without testing.

A part of me thinks that it's just a brilliant marketing play, that it's not much better or different than the many other similar products you see at the auto parts store. The other part of me says maybe it is a revolutionary technology, and that we'll be seeing a million mile original engines.

I wonder what the other guys with similar products would say about these new nano-technology additives. Wish there were some really good independent testing, but even those can be manipulated. I'll believe when I see a guy with a million mile engine with an inspection.

I was -this- close to buying it and trying it, doing compression testing and things like that. The Restore cans guarantee increased compression or your money back. So I figured why not try the cheap stuff and test that. I am intrigued though.

Last edited by AaronMartinSole; 01-04-2013 at 03:00 AM..
Old 03-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMartinSole View Post
Yeah I mean that's what we need with all of these new technologies and claims: pure and simple testing. Nothing complicated. I would just do dry and wet compression tests before and after using XADO and do another one a week later, a month later, and so on. A lot of the claims with these weird products are extraordinary and strange, but I will not dismiss them as crazy or accept them without testing.

A part of me thinks that it's just a brilliant marketing play, that it's not much better or different than the many other similar products you see at the auto parts store. The other part of me says maybe it is a revolutionary technology, and that we'll be seeing a million mile original engines.

I wonder what the other guys with similar products would say about these new nano-technology additives. Wish there were some really good independent testing, but even those can be manipulated. I'll believe when I see a guy with a million mile engine with an inspection.

I was -this- close to buying it and trying it, doing compression testing and things like that. The Restore cans guarantee increased compression or your money back. So I figured why not try the cheap stuff and test that. I am intrigued though.
I used it in our truck it has 340000 milea on it and it runs like it just rolled off the lot brand new. I know everybody will have different experiences with different oils and addatives. I gave my brother a AT syringe to use and it improved his shifting and he says it doesnt hesitate anymore(hold the gear and wont shift).
Our truck seems to have more pulling power up the 4 mile
grade to the mountains where before it wouldnt even want to think about passing someone up hill.
Very impressed with the products.
Used the power steering/hydrolic fluid syringe went from needing to have to turn it to it wanting to pull in the turn.
I can now turn the steering wheel slightly and its going around the turn.
Great products. Need more info on it email me at laujodistribution@ yahoo.com.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

none - '98 Honda Civic HX

none - '00 Chevy (Geo) Metro base

none - '00 Saturn SL1 base
Amazon.com: Liqui Moly (3721) Cera Tec Friction Modifier - 300 ml: Automotive

This is cheaper and made by a reputable company.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iveyjh View Post
Xado stage 1 revitalizant is not a additive it is a treatment. A metal conditioner.
Compatable with ALL kinds of oil.
Everybody has different experiences.
Some of the tests with this product are, all oil has been removed after treatment and vehicle runs perfectly(yes no oil in the motor) and does not have metal shavings or bearing wear. If you want some of the product email me at laujodistribution@yahoo.com.
Again everybody has a different view.

Reply  Post New Thread