Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Do you like start-stop?
All hail start-stop! 21 67.74%
I like running my engine! 5 16.13%
Do push-ups, Xist! 5 16.13%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2022, 02:40 PM   #71 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Sounds like an arcology.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 03-05-2022 at 11:18 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-05-2022, 03:47 PM   #72 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
I don't understand your "archology" example. Except that it is from Windows.

Qouth DDG
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Arcology
Arcology, a portmanteau of "architecture" and "ecology", is a field of creating architectural design principles for very densely populated and ecologically low-impact human habitats.. The term was coined in 1969 by architect Paolo Soleri, who believed that a completed arcology would provide space for a variety of residential, commercial, and agricultural facilities while minimizing individual ...
Paulo Soleri proposed Arcologies in Space.

Quote:
Arcology also includes a series of proposed designs, ranging from ideas perhaps only a few years away from realization to ones straight out of science fiction – Stonebow, built into a cliff face to house 200,000 people; Hexahedron, home for 170,000 in any environment; Novanoah II, a floating city for 2.4 million; Asteromo, housing 70,000 people in space; and many more. Soleri continued to design arcologies for the rest of his life.

.... Today, the Cosanti Foundation defines arcology with six key traits:
  • Urban scale as human scale: Efficient and free movement of pedestrians, encouraged by compacting the 50 percent of urban space currently dedicated to automobile traffic.
  • Bounded density: Urban growth boundaries, like those of Garden Cities, as much for the health and density of the city as for the protection of the land around it.
  • Marginalized consumption: Using technology, such as passive climate control and innovative water treatment systems, to maximize efficiency throughout the city.
  • Elegant frugality: “Do more with less” by effectively using local, clean, and simple materials and resources.
  • Food & energy nexus: Reestablishing the connection between urbanites and their food supplies by both returning the land directly outside the city to agriculture and developing urban agriculture. The same applies to locally produced renewable energy.
  • Urban effect: Accelerating the inherent benefits of cities, including the ability to develop diversity, knowledge, efficiency, and community, by greatly increasing density and further mixing different uses – the same ideas expressed by Jane Jacobs in 1961, but taken to a radical conclusion
urbanutopias.net/2019/09/01/arcosanti/

Old 03-05-2022, 11:19 PM   #73 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I don't understand your "archology" example. Except that it is from Windows.
Well you caught my typo, and it's a reference to the classic game Sim City 2000. These were extremely expensive structures an advanced city mayor could purchase that bundled most citizen's needs into a single structure. It's vertically integrated!

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 03-06-2022, 01:12 PM   #74 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
I knew that.

I just thought it was sad. I remember Will Wright rolling out the game. Those examples totally miss the spirit of Paulo Soleri's concept. Not vertical integration -- miniaturization.

Quote:
First among these is complexity: The city must cluster many processes and events. From that comes miniaturization: A city, like many organisms, must become more compact to maximize the efficient use of resources, space, and time. Arcologies, therefore, must undergo “urban implosion,” collapsing cities into small spaces – even into a single massive building. This is perhaps the key imperative – Arcology opens with a full page dedicated to the single sentence “This book is about miniaturization.”
https://urbanutopias.net/2019/09/01/arcosanti/

Old 03-06-2022, 03:02 PM   #75 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Just saw this thread! I was not a believer. Then mine stopped working for a while (battery issue) on Betty. When it did start working halfway through through a stop and go traffic trip I monitored fuel consumption and it made a wild difference.

Does Auto Start/Stop Really Technology Improve Fuel Economy?!? Real World Results! (It Does)
https://youtu.be/YaiVU3Dhnjs
The Following User Says Thank You to mechman600 For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (03-18-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 04:25 PM   #76 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Sounds like an arcology.

I was thinking a more traditional horizontal approch. Humans have lived without technology for who knows how many mileniums. I was envisioning a world where technology wasn't an absolute necessity, but rather something you can have and use if you want, when you want. I would seem better to have control over technology that for technology to have control over us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
Just saw this thread! I was not a believer. Then mine stopped working for a while (battery issue) on Betty. When it did start working halfway through through a stop and go traffic trip I monitored fuel consumption and it made a wild difference.

Does Auto Start/Stop Really Technology Improve Fuel Economy?!? Real World Results! (It Does)
https://youtu.be/YaiVU3Dhnjs
Yes it can make a difference. People usually resist change. Remeber when seat belts, EGR valves and EFi came out? People would swear they did the exact opposite of what they were supposed to do and there are a few who still do, and the same with start-stop.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:54 PM   #77 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.95 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Start stop makes as much as 20% difference in around town FE in the Souls we drive for work. Some people put them in Sport mode and get 21-28 mpg, I keep it in normal with autostop in use and get 33-41 easy depending on the day.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mpg_numbers_guy For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (03-06-2022), JSH (03-07-2022), MetroMPG (03-18-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 08:43 PM   #78 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
Remeber when seat belts, EGR valves and EFi came out? People would swear they did the exact opposite of what they were supposed to do and there are a few who still do, and the same with start-stop.
It's not so hard to find people from Spanish-speaking countries, such as Argentina, who adapt a carburettor to a car originally fitted with EFI when some part of the fuel system fails. I have already seen a lot of cars from Argentina with such a makeshift fix.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:08 PM   #79 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
It's not so hard to find people from Spanish-speaking countries, such as Argentina, who adapt a carburettor to a car originally fitted with EFI when some part of the fuel system fails. I have already seen a lot of cars from Argentina with such a makeshift fix.
That's what my brother did to his pickup truck.

He does speak a little Spanish though.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:16 PM   #80 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
That's what my brother did to his pickup truck.
Not sure if I would eventually try it, maybe I'd feel more inclined to do a Diesel engine swap

Quote:
He does speak a little Spanish though.
The first person who tried talking in Spanish to me was an Argentinian tourist in Florianópolis, and I was just 8 years-old at that time. I had to learn Spanish in order to communicate better with Spanish-speaking people, but I didn't really have to speak Spanish so often since I came back to Porto Alegre 14 years ago. On a sidenote, a cousin who lives on the way to the Brazil-Uruguay border and doesn't speak Spanish became quite shocked seeing me speaking Spanish (not much of a broken Spanish by the way) at a drugstore in Uruguay 9 years ago.

Reply  Post New Thread