Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2020, 03:25 AM   #81 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Hhhh. Nobody expected anything else. The stock actually dropped after that statement and I bought it.

Nobody knows when FSD will finally become fully functional, but Musk will never give up on it. It is the other self-driving companies that quit or fold one by one.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 05-26-2020 at 03:36 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-28-2020, 12:46 AM   #82 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Nobody knows when FSD will finally become fully functional, but Musk will never give up on it.
I wouldn't hold my breath for it to happen sooner than 20 years from now.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:40 AM   #83 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
I expect it will be much sooner than that. But I also expect there will be adaptations made to the roads to make them more suitable for self driving cars.

One logical application would be a harmonized system of hubs communicating local road conditions, speed limits etc. between road sections and cars (FSD or not).
For instance Tesla has a pothole registration system; once detected other Teslas will avoid them but also sign them off when they are fixed.
Things like that should not be confined to one make but made available to all traffic.

One of the hardest issues for FSD is estimating what other road users are about to do.
We judge other drivers based on clues.
My driving instructor told me to be extra aware of cars with 2 or more women, old male driver with younger female passenger, people holding something in their hands (even more valid since mobile phones arrived!), people wearing anything on their head in a car (even hair dye or ornaments is a cue), cars with 3 or more decals, damaged cars, black Rabbits, etc; people driving fast, slow, off center, even not swerving a bit when passing other traffic.
And literally all cars at any road junction or crossing, up to 20 meters past the exit.
Even if these all miss the point, it keeps one alert

While we don't know where the other drivers are heading or how they have been behaving so far, that data would be available to a local road hub. It could then communicate general 'flight plans' and potential hazards to the cars in that section, for as much as is relevant.
That would greatly increase road safety and help facilitate FSD.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 05-28-2020 at 07:56 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
bobo333 (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 06:27 AM   #84 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

F Truck - '77 Ford F100 2x4, single cab, lwb
90 day: 8.75 mpg (US)

Bombodore - '98 Holden Commodore Exec Wagon
90 day: 21.35 mpg (US)

Civic - '93 Honda Civic GL
90 day: 36.62 mpg (US)

Jim The Prius - '09 Toyota Prius
90 day: 36.66 mpg (US)
I've been on team Rivian since the early days, and I'm still very keen to see them hit the road. I'd pick the SUV over the pick up though.

Last I heard they were set back a little from the virus but were on track for early production models being in the wild a year from now

(Posted in 2020) 2009 Prius Off Road project: https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...ide-38366.html

(Posted in 2012) 1977 F100 Project: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post310326
The Following User Says Thank You to bobo333 For This Useful Post:
Hersbird (05-28-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 01:15 AM   #85 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
I also expect there will be adaptations made to the roads to make them more suitable for self driving cars
With so many unpaved rural roads, unless some infrastructure similar to what supports Instrument-Flight Rules gets implemented for road traffic, I wouldn't hold my breath for self-driving vehicles to become totally viable. And even if they reach that stage, I'd still be concerned in case of no interface for human override.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:42 AM   #86 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath for it to happen sooner than 20 years from now.
Fully functional may never occur off restricted access freeways.
That is the truth of the matter from someone who has an inside view

Self driving focus (aka money) by the large players is only on very specific routes and primarily for large equipment.

Smart money is placing No meaningful effort at all on non-paved roads.
It is believed investment there is wasted and research is meaningless.
Instead because of the darpa outcomes the military IS investing in followers with basic avoidance for non-paved surfaces. The belief is Once a very specific set of paths is followed by humans many times automated vehicles will someday be able to drive those routes on their own efficiently so long as a human “out” is available to get them moving again if an unexpected event halts progress.

On their own perfectly implemented autonomous off road vehicles are extremely slow and almost spastic under specific circumstances, this isn’t an issue of computing power and is unlikely to be solved effectively in our lifetimes.

Instead you will likely see very specific corridors filled with autonomous semis going between specific depots to pick up a human driver to finish delivery. Also Mining operations will become more automated with off road routes getting plotted for material handling on campus.

Taxis for individuals are further off and are going to be more like a bus as they won’t go off specific routes and will be limited primarily to cities with favorable road conditions.
Northern cities that have Actual weather pretty much cripple these cars. Rural areas are a no go as well if you get off primary corridors, even subdivision style buildings are harder for these cars to navigate than pure city.

Door to door autonomous driving by private citizens will never occur unless large consessions are made by people and large upgrades to infrastructure are made to make things easier for the cars to function.

Last edited by rmay635703; 05-31-2020 at 09:55 AM..
Old 05-31-2020, 10:59 AM   #87 (permalink)
Luddite

ol-green - '96 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 50.11 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobnev View Post
How about "Electron engulfer".
"Amp Eater"
The Following User Says Thank You to deluxx For This Useful Post:
ME_Andy (06-01-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 11:30 PM   #88 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Door to door autonomous driving by private citizens will never occur unless large consessions are made by people and large upgrades to infrastructure are made to make things easier for the cars to function.
Frankly, would you expect people to make such large concessions? I wouldn't. In the end, we can relate all the rural driving issue to the feeder routes from smaller airstrips to major airports.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:26 AM   #89 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Frankly, would you expect people to make such large concessions? I wouldn't. In the end, we can relate all the rural driving issue to the feeder routes from smaller airstrips to major airports.
Will never occur was mentioned,

I do not believe autonomous is going to enter personal transportation
Old 06-01-2020, 12:56 PM   #90 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
I do not believe autonomous is going to enter personal transportation
Even for commercial applications, I'd still not expect most people to approve it. Either for some skepticism about its efficiency or simply because they would rather indulge themselves pretending to be somewhat "superior" to a driver.

Reply  Post New Thread