Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #51 (permalink)
A Legend in his Own Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Ken -

If you don't want to plug-in to the drivetrain and don't like hot water bottles, you can use this :

Snuggle Safe | Snugglesafe | Heated Pet Beds

CarloSW2
It could be interesting to build a heat retention device into the seat backrest. Heat it up while the battery is charging, and have a warm seat for much of the ride into work.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-26-2011, 11:31 PM   #52 (permalink)
naturalextraction

Hi Ken, Glad to see you've been moving forward and getting yourself and your idea out there a bit more. Sounds like your able to sell or get into some limited production of the vehicle. I haven't been around much here or cr4 in awhile. Been stuck in patenting load and work load (lots of dog and pony shows.) Keep up the good work and hope you have some great success with it!!
btw, I too like air cooled.

Last edited by naturalextraction; 12-26-2011 at 11:36 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to naturalextraction For This Useful Post:
Ken Fry (12-27-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #53 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
I can't remember if I've read anything about an air-conditioning system for the Zing. I live in Florida and a cabin heater would be completely optional for me, but I don't think I could live another summer without AC.

I was struck earlier today with the brilliance of the idea of using a hybrid system like what you have in the Zing, as it gives owners both a zippy and fun machine, as well as an efficient one. With other systems it's typically one or the other. I've been toying with the idea of getting an engineer friend to help me with a conversion of that sort for my car.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #54 (permalink)
A Legend in his Own Mind

@ naturalextraction

Hi,
Great to hear from you! Yes, we'll be building 4 this year, 2 of which are not yet spoken for. I really appreciate the encouragement. I hope your projects are going well too.
Ken
Old 12-27-2011, 01:06 PM   #55 (permalink)
A Legend in his Own Mind

Hi Ecky,
Yes the Zing! has AC as standard. There are so few places where it is not used, it has become pretty standard on most cars. Your Del Sol would make a pretty nice conversion -- lots of cost and efficiency advantages to starting with something small.
Ken
Old 12-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #56 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

Great update to improve the tri-platform. Rutan-like portholes and updated controls. Here's an older analog with easier access doors & panels.
The Following User Says Thank You to botsapper For This Useful Post:
Ken Fry (12-28-2011)
Old 12-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #57 (permalink)
A Legend in his Own Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by botsapper View Post
Great update to improve the tri-platform. Rutan-like portholes and updated controls. Here's an older analog with easier access doors & panels.
Thanks. I've seen a Freeway or two, but not a video that documents one so well.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #58 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Ken, what do you feel is the smallest battery size one could use in a vehicle like yours and still have a good driving experience? 10 mile range? 5? What is the minimum cost in battery capacity to make this concept work, and what are the disadvantages of using smaller capacities other than the obvious?

Initial cost seems to me the largest single barrier to entry in electric vehicles, but one could still take advantage of a more efficient drivetrain like the one you use in the Zing, only with a much smaller battery pack. The generator would start much sooner, but you'd still have a highly efficient and fun vehicle to drive.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #59 (permalink)
A Legend in his Own Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Ken, what do you feel is the smallest battery size one could use in a vehicle like yours and still have a good driving experience? 10 mile range? 5? What is the minimum cost in battery capacity to make this concept work, and what are the disadvantages of using smaller capacities other than the obvious?
Central to the answer for this is that the reasonably-priced lithium phosphate cells are relatively low power output (for a given energy capacity), so that to have adequate power capability, you end up with relatively large energy capacity. Cells like the Kokam lithium polymer cells are higher power output, but expensive, on a $/kWh basis. The higher power output cells are more likely to require active cooling, so there is additional cost involved, in that, too.

If you are building your own vehicle, and willing to watch temperatures and perhaps cut back a little on maximum power, then 20 miles might be a reasonable minimum range for typical large format, high energy cells. 10 miles is probably a reasonable minimum for high power cells.

The number of engine cycles (and the number of operating hours) are reduced with longer ranges. Reducing the number of cycles (even with the same number of hours) is advantageous from emission, wear, efficiency and reliability perspectives. Again, for an owner-built vehicle, 10 miles might be a reasonable minimum, from an engine perspective.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #60 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ken, The Zing looks awesome. Do you have a website with more pics, specs, etc...?

Reply  Post New Thread