Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2008, 12:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Turtle Help I need a Fix

I own a Lincoln 1998 I just changed the Altenator today because the battery light would go on. Previously when i would be driving along and the Car would just die after a little bit of time about 15 to half hour it would regenerate the battery and I would be able to drive again for about five minutes so i thought for sure it was the alternator Well I either didnt charge it long enough or I think I have a faulty Alternator Ive changed alternators before and have never had a problem but I never changed a Lincoln Alternator before I need some expert advice on what I should do next So if some kind person could help me in step progression It would be deeply appreciated

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-31-2008, 02:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
CAUTION: May Stink!!!

BDC's Honda CiViC HX/Si - '98 Honda CiViC HX/Si (HX Shell/Si Swap)
90 day: 40.56 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via AIM to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via MSN to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via Yahoo to BlackDeuceCoupe
Um...

Have you changed (not charged) your battery yet???
Old 10-31-2008, 07:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
A few national auto parts chains, like Autozone, will do a free charging system diagnostic. Obviously hoping to sell you something afterward.

BTW, it makes it easier for people to read your posts if you use puncuation.

Good luck!
Old 10-31-2008, 07:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The battery recharged itself but not enough for it to start so I got a boost after I let it reeve for about 10 minutes about half higher reeve I took off the cables put on my lights and realized that the charge was not holding so I turned off the car and restarted it and of course alls I got was clicking
Old 10-31-2008, 08:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Grab a meter and check the voltage across the battery with the engine running. It should be more than 13 volts. With the engine off, the voltage on a good battery should be more than 11 volts. If the battery won't take a charge, it won't matter if you have a new alternator or not.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Does that car have an internal or external voltage regulator? If it's not integrated into the alternator it could be a bad voltage regulator. Also check the water in the battery and load test the battery. A bad battery could have the proper voltage, but not pulling enough cranking amps. If the battery was completely dead you shouldn't rely completely on the alternator to recharge it you should hook it up to a charger for a few hours.

Edit: Also check the battery posts and terminals and make sure they are clean. Check and make sure you have a clean connection wherever it grounds and check to make sure the cable is tight and clean at the starter.

Last edited by Ford Man; 10-31-2008 at 08:00 PM..
Old 11-01-2008, 12:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

93Lx - '93 Ford Thunderbird Lx
90 day: 20.64 mpg (US)
Help us out here, 98 lincoln what?

You need to charge a battery before firing up the car when you replace a bad alternator or it can cook the new one you just installed if voltage is low enough.