EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   07 Dodge Magnum traded for 08 Toyota Yaris (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/07-dodge-magnum-traded-08-toyota-yaris-21627.html)

ncnealncn 04-25-2012 09:08 PM

07 Dodge Magnum traded for 08 Toyota Yaris

I am a credit analyst at a Bank in Charlotte, NC.
When I worked one mile from home in 2008 I bought a slightly used 2007 Dodge Magnum that got EPA estimated 15 City, and 23 Highway. I didn’t keep track of its Mileage. I switched jobs, and moved twice since then. Now I drive about 24,000 miles a year which includes my 72 mile round trip to work five days a week.
About two weeks ago, after spending $62 to fill it up, I started thinking about buying a more efficient car. I found this website, and several others. After doing much research I bought a 2008 Toyota Yaris S Manual 4 Door Sedan with just under 50K Miles. It has some scratches in the paint, and I think I got it for a pretty good price.
I think I was already an efficient driver; however after reading the HyperMiling tips it has increased my driving awareness.
My Yaris wasn’t on empty, but I couldn’t wait to get my first MPG reading. I went 215 miles on 4.67 gallons! I was completely surprised to get 46.47 miles per gallon with the first fill up of the Yaris. The 215 Miles included about 40% Highway, and 60% off highway.
With this MPG at today’s price of gas plus the savings in insurance I could save $200 a month, or $2,400 in the next year.
08 Toyota Yaris S 4 Door Sedan Manual

slowmover 04-26-2012 08:28 AM

The Magnum with the V6 was one I've rented a few times and surprisingly got 27-mpg without any effort in highway driving.

But it's nowhere near what you've reported with the Yaris. Spend some bucks on the cosmetics of making it look great, and have some fun with the threads on tires around here so you can best fit that vehicle when the time comes. Watching the fuel consumption average pays cash money weekly (as I've come to learn to say).

Welcome!

Daox 04-26-2012 09:47 AM

Welcome to the site.

I once had a 70 mile commute. I hated it. Around 2hrs of my life gone every day to sitting in a car in traffic. I'd consider moving again. :) That is what I did... and then I got a job even closer to home after moving. I now have way more time for things that actually matter, are fun, and in general I'm just much happier with my life. No amount of super mpgs can make up for that.

MetroMPG 04-26-2012 10:21 AM

Yaris with a manual transmission: excellent choice! Congrats on the savings (and more enjoyable/flexible driving experience the manual offers).

Daox has a good point too.

Coincidentally, I just read a really excellent blog post about the insanity of long commutes. Worth a read:

The True Cost of Commuting | Mr. Money Mustache

ncnealncn 04-26-2012 08:15 PM

I hate the commute!!! I love the job. I took a position with a 20% increase in salary. My initial thought was to buy a small house for myself near work. It was about that time when I met a young lady. My original plan went out the window. We got maried two weeks ago. We live in a rented house with dirt cheap rent. She works from home most days.
Two things are going to happen in the next year. We are planning on buying a house, and my company is constructing a building half the distance from our current house. We are looking at houses close to the new office construction.
I read the article MetroMPG. I didn't think about all those expenses, but what I do notice is that my extra 90 to 100 minutes a day driving affects my motivation when I get home. I can't get the motivation to do laundry most nights.
I worked a job for 11 years. after about 7 years I bought a house about 100 yards from work. I walked to work in about 60 seconds. I didn't even put on a jacket in Winter.

MetroMPG 04-27-2012 10:18 AM

Congrats on wedded bliss!

And obviously you have a grasp on the issues around commuting.

I'm fortunate in that my commute consists of rolling out of bed and walking down the hall to the computer.