EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   07 fit (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/07-fit-20879.html)

MPGFTW 03-07-2012 01:59 PM

07 fit

Hi just registered to see how I can increase my MPG in my 07 Fit. I'm averaging 39 mpg once I hit 40 mpg and my total commute is 99 miles everyday. But been considering selling the Fit to get a Hybrid or a Civic VX or HX or even an old Insight to help on rise of gas $. Hope to get some good insight and reading from this forums. Thx!

Daox 03-07-2012 02:15 PM

Welcome to the site. 99 miles is quite a ways to drive every day.

The Fit definitely isn't a bad vehicle, and it seems you're doing pretty good with it. What the Fit really needs is a taller geared transmission (as do most manual transmission Hondas). I'm not sure what transmissions would bolt up, but I'm sure there are others here that do. A few areo tweaks would also help a lot since you're doing mostly highway I'd imagine.

The 1st gen Insight would net you a decent increase in MPG without any other work other than buying it. I don't think I'd bother with trying to find a VX or HX. They'll return you somewhat better mileage, but not that much. You can check out the garage link to see what others with these vehicles are getting. If I recall right most HX owners are getting in the mid 40s, and the VX owners a little better.

MPGFTW 03-07-2012 02:26 PM

I recalculated my commute its about 43 miles 1 way so round trip 86 miles. I really need to change my driving habits but darn 405 fwy drivers are nuts. I was really considering the VX from friends experiences with it and that it has a back seat for my son still if we take my car out for outings.

larrybuck 03-07-2012 10:02 PM

Welcome here! I'm sure with advice from many on here, you'll find many answers
you are seeking.

Our driving section has plenty of accounts, humorous, and otherwise stories and help
to keep you unstressed, and ready to deal with almost anyone out there on the roads.

California98Civic 03-24-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MPGFTW (Post 291879)
Hi just registered to see how I can increase my MPG in my 07 Fit. I'm averaging 39 mpg once I hit 40 mpg and my total commute is 99 miles everyday. But been considering selling the Fit to get a Hybrid or a Civic VX or HX or even an old Insight to help on rise of gas $. Hope to get some good insight and reading from this forums. Thx!

I missed this earlier, sorry. I think you can do a lot more with your Fit. It is probably a really good platform. And buying another will either cost a premium or introduce unknowns. You have a nice list of mods developing, but your big and easy gains will be in driving technique. Check your owners manual to see if the Fit can be flat towed. If it can, then you can engine off coast in neutral. If you get a fuel gauge and do some safe and strategic engine off coasting with the ignition in the on position but car not running you will see benefits. Hypermiling is a great way to improve. Take a look at PaleMelanesian on this site... his car is nothing special and has almost no mods and he pulls 60s and 80s in MPG routinely through careful hypermiling. You auto trans limits you, but you can get more than you are getting.

Good luck!

james