Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2009, 08:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hybrid Batteries (looking for info on charging voltages, etc.)

I don't know if this is the right section for this question, but I need to find out information on Hybrid charging systems either the Toyota Prius or Honda Insight systems.
Is there any websites or resources that are good for this sort of information, I have contacted Toyota Manufacturing UK but they don't have the relevant information for the Prius as they don't manufacture it in this country.
Any information that you good people could provide would be great.

Thanks

Mike

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-23-2009, 09:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
You can check out insightcentral.com for details on the Insight stuff. If you have any specific questions on the 1st gen insight I have access to the manuals and the actual junk if there's anything I can look up.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike88 View Post
. . . I need to find out information on Hybrid charging systems either the Toyota Prius . . .

Is there any websites or resources that are good for this sort of information, . . .
Have you looked at the Wiki site about the Prius?

Bob Wilson
Old 12-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I basically need to know the voltage required to fully charge the batteries of either the Insight or Prius and what type of batteries are used in either system, all will become clearer as my research progresses and initial results found out.

Thanks

Mike
Old 12-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
NiMH for both. The First-gen Insight has 120 cells for 144V nominal, 6500mAh. Large battery arrays are very complex, and a number of issues can develop with them, and many of those issues can be rectified by the DIY'er. What exactly are you trying to do, and do you own any Hybrid battery packs?

A good resource for general background information is Nickel-metal hydride battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .
Old 12-23-2009, 05:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Im trying to see the feasibility of using a Stirling engine as a method of exhaust heat recovery and then use the power generated from the Stirling engine to charge the batteries.
I know this has been a topic discussed on here before, but I hope to show that it is possible (or not) and also see how much heat is recoverable from the exhaust.
I already know that the shear size of a Stirling engine capable of this weighs alot, so packaging is an issue. But the main aim of the project is to do the theory behind. I can't really say alot about it as im still doing the first parts of it but hope to have preliminary results in January.
Must just say that this is all theory based due to funding. Thanks for eveyones help so far.

Thanks

Mike
Old 12-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
You, me, and the DOE are all interested in exhaust waste heat recovery. Unfortunately, it's only economical for long haul trucks and stationary engines at the moment.

Vehicle Technologies Program: Solid State Energy Conversion

I consider thermoelectric exhaust waste heat recovery to be far more practical than a mechanical heat engine. TEG's are much lighter, easy to package on the exhaust after the catalytic converter, and the output is already electricity.

Also, don't limit yourself to hybrids. You could just as easily (or more easily) use the system to supply 12V, so the alternator doesn't have to work as hard. Read some of the threads here on alternatorless operation to see how much gas an alternator burns.

Reply  Post New Thread