EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   1,900,000 Prius worldwide, with a bug. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/1-900-000-prius-worldwide-bug-28196.html)

botsapper 02-13-2014 04:07 PM

1,900,000 Prius worldwide, with a bug.

...not the infamous unintended acceleration, but a series of software problems causing Priuses to intermittently switch off the traction/stability controls and ABS systems. The bug senses overheating conditions to cause power downs into fail-safe mode and even into a complete stop. The spate of QC problems with Toyota have already caused them billions of hefty fines and multiple lawsuits.

Third-gen Prius owners need to bring their cars to a Toyota service center for the software patch.

Tesla has the inter-connectivity to automatically update any new patch.

Uh-oh: Toyota recalls 1.9 million Priuses, again | Car Fanatics Blog

MetroMPG 02-13-2014 07:02 PM

Yes, first thing I thought about when I heard this news was Tesla's over-the-air updates.

And the recall affects more than just the hybrids. Also Tacomas, RAV4's, and Lexus RX 350's.

gone-ot 02-13-2014 07:06 PM

Problem with "Over The Air (OTA)" patching is the (obvious) open-door pathway for hackers and mal-contented people.

Cobb 02-13-2014 09:44 PM

I think just about every electronic device I own has had to update itself in one way or another. I had to download an update to a usb stick and stick it ti my hd 19 inch flast screen to update it.

gone-ot 02-13-2014 10:14 PM

...apparently Quality Control in the 21st Century only uses a "Close Enough" criteria to pass.

oil pan 4 02-13-2014 10:52 PM

It not even close enough any more, if the standard cant be met the standard just gets lowered.

Xist 02-14-2014 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 411068)
It not even close enough any more, if the standard cant be met the standard just gets lowered.

How else do you expect me to get dates?! :)

poomanchu 02-14-2014 01:06 AM

Ah the good old days when car software didn't need updated. I'm sure someone is thinking about the good old days with no software, just vacuum tubes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 411081)
How else do you expect me to get dates?! :)

:thumbup: Win!

Xist 02-14-2014 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poomanchu (Post 411083)
Ah the good old days when car software didn't need updated. I'm sure someone is thinking about the good old days with no software, just vacuum tubes.

Considering the frustrations that I have installing updates on my computer, I can only imagine the horror of some Toyota-equivalent of a blue screen of death.

"Fatal error?! @$^*"--famous last words.

WD40 02-14-2014 09:26 AM

almost good enough

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 411059)
...apparently Quality Control in the 21st Century only uses a "Close Enough" criteria to pass.

This has been my thinking with most pc software for at least the last decade, sell the product then make it work.
The problem with that is the same as the car industry is finding out, how many pissed off customers does it take to kill your product line or business all together.