EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   $100 annual fee only for EV owners (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/100-annual-fee-only-ev-owners-24490.html)

Frank Lee 01-02-2013 10:39 PM

$100 annual fee only for EV owners

EV owners in WA to pay extra $100 annual fee

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 01-02-2013 10:51 PM

Quite predictable that it would happen. But might cost Obama some electors if he would ever run for a 3rd term...

RandomFact314 01-03-2013 06:05 AM

I feel like the government has it out on people trying to save money on gas/oil
You ever look at a car and just wonder why the car companies decided to put so and so engine in it instead of their other more fuel efficient one? Sometimes I feel like, somewhere, car companies are being forced to make their cars a certain way to make MPG less. Plus I've watched "Who killed the electric car" too many times so I'm all conspiracy theorist on this kind of stuff

Daox 01-03-2013 07:57 AM

It is inevitable. Someone has to pay for road maintenance. EVs currently totally bypass this.

That being said I think a flat fee is a stupid way of dealing with it. I prefer something based on actual use. However, I have no better solution off the top of my head.

radioranger 01-03-2013 08:07 AM

wait till they start charging every body for miles driven , besides the gas tax, GPS in every car, course it's already tracking your phone if they need to . eventually shoe tax, at what point do we change management.

niky 01-03-2013 08:21 AM

A hundred dollar charge isn't big in the grand scheme of things, but a per mile tax instead of a flat rate is an excellent idea. Why should someone who drives several miles a day in a compact car have to pay for the upkeep of roads travelled by people who do twenty in an SUV? Or fifty, with a boat trailer? :D

radioranger 01-03-2013 11:45 AM

trouble is almost none of the money goes into the roads.

mort 01-03-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 348558)
It is inevitable. Someone has to pay for road maintenance. EVs currently totally bypass this.

That being said I think a flat fee is a stupid way of dealing with it. I prefer something based on actual use. However, I have no better solution off the top of my head.

I've been pushing a tire tax.
-mort

Daox 01-03-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radioranger (Post 348596)
trouble is almost none of the money goes into the roads.

I'd be interested in seeing some info to back up that statement. I did a quick google search and found that most of the tax money does in fact go toward road maintenance, but yes some does get used for other things. This differs from state to state though. The state tax is the majority of the tax. The federal tax is smaller in compairison.

YeahPete 01-03-2013 12:38 PM

Interesting.... I thought they were supposed to be promoting electric vehicles.... Just make top speed of your vehicle 34mph :)