EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   DIY / How-to (https://ecomodder.com/forum/diy-how.html)
-   -   12 volt Battery (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/12-volt-battery-27423.html)

TexasCotton 11-02-2013 12:53 AM

12 volt Battery

I am considering doing the following. I am going to take screw terminal capacitors
16volt uf and make a hybrid battery...
So like one capacitor attached/wired to anode and one attached /wired to cathode.
I am curious how stable this would be for a automotive 12 volt power electronic.........

redpoint5 11-02-2013 12:57 AM

Check out this thread on the subject of replacing an automotive battery with a series of capacitors.

How many uF were you thinking? Are you deleting the battery, or just connecting in parallel with it?

I'll begin experimenting with capacitors soon...

TexasCotton 11-02-2013 01:06 AM

I am not set on the uf rating yet.... and may even go 30 volt... These would be parallel . I am want to make the low voltage battery I have more usable 11-12volt battery

TexasCotton 11-02-2013 01:43 AM

Universal Fuel Saver Voltage Stabilizer Regulator Grounding Pivot Mega Raizin | eBay
this is just one ebay listing the range of price is from 25 dollars and upward to 200 dollars

RobertISaar 11-02-2013 03:51 PM

if you want to make any noticable difference to the electrical system, expect to measure capacitance in F, not uF.

oil pan 4 11-04-2013 04:46 PM

Look on ebay you can get 1 and 2 Farad capacitors rated at 24v for fairly cheap.

mort 11-04-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertISaar (Post 397966)
if you want to make any noticable difference to the electrical system, expect to measure capacitance in F, not uF.

Adding a little to this thought...
Each farad can store about 100 joules at battery voltage (about 14.5 volts) 1 joule is 1 watt-second. So 1 F could store 100 watt-seconds. That's if you can convert the whole charge down to 0 volts. I guess you'd better assume you could use the top 30%, 14.5 volts down to 10 volts - you need 3 times as much capacity.

There is a hybrid cap called the Stinger available from car audio sources, it seems to be a combo capacitor & lithium battery which emulates 50 F. They cost about $200 each.
If you attached one of these in parallel with your battery, you'd gain 50 farad If you could use about a third of that (14.5 v down to 9.6 v) it would provide about 1,666 watt second. About 20 amps for 7 seconds to run your lights and radio.

-mort

RobertISaar 11-04-2013 06:44 PM

i don't know what kind of ESR the "Stinger" would have, but let's assume it is something quite usable.... 1,666 watt-seconds could almost entirely replace a battery. if it were all drawn within 1 second, that is almost 120 amps, which is enough to run a starter motor on nearly anything that isn't a semi or larger.

TexasCotton 11-06-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertISaar (Post 398254)
i don't know what kind of ESR the "Stinger" would have, but let's assume it is something quite usable.... 1,666 watt-seconds could almost entirely replace a battery. if it were all drawn within 1 second, that is almost 120 amps, which is enough to run a starter motor on nearly anything that isn't a semi or larger.

Okay
I checked out ebay and there are several choices which range from 2 farad, 10 farad,
20farad, 30farad and 50 farad. The price issue makes the 66 dollar 20 farad look promising canadidate componet.....
New Hybrid Planet Audio PC20F 20 Farad Digital Power Car Auido Capacitor | eBay

Does anyone know how these are wired to the vehicle

jray3 11-07-2013 03:21 PM

Cross-post from another thread....

My ultracap bank is seven 2600 Farad Maxwells, put together with a balancer by EBay seller cusdn. Here's a current listing for an identical version.

Maxwell BCAP0010 7 Ultracapacitor Surge Booster Assembly | eBay

I put it inside a plastic box with an Anderson connector, so can easily swap it from vehicle-to-vehicle. It can crank the 6.9L International IDI diesel all by itself, but sure puts a load on the alternator right away, since ultracaps want those electrons back just as fast as they'll give 'em up!
I've yet to try it for a long drive in the EV conversion, but intend to.

Hadn't put two-and-two together yet for using it as part of an alternator shutoff/delete. Running off the ultracap only provides such a small buffer that it would pert' near immediately transfer all load to the alternator, but switching in a lithium house battery that can maintain 15V under load sounds like a great way to unload the alternator. Thanks!