EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   12 ways to get better gas milage (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/12-ways-get-better-gas-milage-32399.html)

oil pan 4 07-19-2015 01:07 PM

12 ways to get better gas milage

12 Ways to Get Better Gas Mileage

1 fill up less often.
2 measure your fuel mileage
3 dont drive aggressively
4 remove excess weight
5 avoid traffic
6 tire pressure
7 tire alignment
8 the A/C vs. window down debate
9 shift at lower engine speed (manual transmissions)
10 drive slow
11 dont try to accelerate up a hill
12 coast
13 use RUG
14 buy a honda

We have multiple topics on everyone of these.
It come no where near rivaling our master wiki list.

The only 2 that catch my attention for thinking out side the box that the news outlets think from inside are tire alignment and just making mention of coasting.
If you have a VW or Audi with a turbo gas motor absolutly do not use RUG unless you really like visiting your dealership and giving them money.

MetroMPG 07-20-2015 11:15 AM

Rug?

RedDevil 07-20-2015 04:40 PM

regular unleaded gas?
Not everybody would agree, especially on a high compression engine higher octane can yield better economy as they tend to ping on regular, forcing the ECU to alter the timing.

UFO 07-20-2015 05:55 PM

11. seems wrong. Accelerating up a hill can use the engine more efficiently if one is able to use the energy to coast in a section where the engine is less efficient.

jamesqf 07-20-2015 06:08 PM

And why would filling up less often get you better mpg? (Assuming of course that you don't drive out of your way to get gas.) Even filling the tank of my Insight, rather than my usual $20 bill in the cash pump, means I'm hauling around an extra 20-30 lbs.

mcrews 07-20-2015 06:20 PM

:thumbup:
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDevil (Post 487439)
regular unleaded gas?
Not everybody would agree, especially on a high compression engine higher octane can yield better economy as they tend to ping on regular, forcing the ECU to alter the timing.

exactly!
When I had the Infiniti Q45, I tested running regular and high on my trips to texas. The ecu would alter the timing and reduce the mpg.
On newer cars (the Q45 was an 02) run what is recommended. THe ECU KNOWS!

oil pan 4 07-20-2015 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 487451)
And why would filling up less often get you better mpg? (Assuming of course that you don't drive out of your way to get gas.) Even filling the tank of my Insight, rather than my usual $20 bill in the cash pump, means I'm hauling around an extra 20-30 lbs.

The theory is (on paper) that filling up less often means you carry less weight. More than likely you can calculate this difference on paper and its so small wont actually see it.
Then you get into the whole "in tank fuel pump immersion debate" where immersing the fuel pump in fuel (not letting the tank drop much below 3/4) cools the fuel pumps motor allowing it to last a lot longer.

oil pan 4 07-20-2015 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 487453)
:thumbup:

exactly!
When I had the Infiniti Q45, I tested running regular and high on my trips to texas. The ecu would alter the timing and reduce the mpg.
On newer cars (the Q45 was an 02) run what is recommended. THe ECU KNOWS!

The VW 1.8L turbo gas mark 4 engine saw at least 2mpg less on RUG then mid grade.

jamesqf 07-21-2015 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 487471)
The theory is (on paper) that filling up less often means you carry less weight.

Oh, different cultures. To me, "fill up" means when the fuel gauge gets close to empty, you put some gas in. Not necessarily (or even that often) to fill the tank completely full. So for me, putting in $20 worth gets me to half or 3/4 full. Though there was one time during the recent price dip when I actually got about a quarter back in change :-)

Quote:

....cools the fuel pumps motor allowing it to last a lot longer.
Fuel pumps wear out? Well, I suppose if you've got a gas guzzler, the poor thing must struggle to move all that gas :-)

UFO 07-21-2015 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 487471)
The theory is (on paper) that filling up less often means you carry less weight. More than likely you can calculate this difference on paper and its so small wont actually see it.
Then you get into the whole "in tank fuel pump immersion debate" where immersing the fuel pump in fuel (not letting the tank drop much below 3/4) cools the fuel pumps motor allowing it to last a lot longer.

Right, which is hilarious considering I have driven my EFI Toyota 4x4 truck for 20 years (200k miles) never filling until empty, and it still has the original fuel pump.