EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   130 MPG Ninja 250 (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/130-mpg-ninja-250-a-25634.html)

MPG_Plus 04-22-2013 11:37 PM

130 MPG Ninja 250

4 Attachment(s)
Ok, now that I have your attention the 130 is my best tank. I just made a couple of changes and my 4 week average is 108. Two weeks ago was extremely windy (35-40MPH winds) for several days and I dropped down to 93 MPG that week. The last change was going from a 38 tooth rear sprocket to a 33, and I was averaging 93MPG with the 38. I also changed to a non-O-ring chain. Other previous mods include a 16 tooth front sprocket (from 14), a Scottoiler chain oiler and a jell-pad seat cover. I run 44 PSI for the tires and the jell pad makes a big difference. I also added a rear view camera which is priceless when you are in a tuck. Also as seen in the top view attached I added a tail bag which is a little more aerodynamic. I believe aerodynamics is where the biggest gains can be from here as other treads also get into.
;)

renault_megane_dci 04-23-2013 04:13 PM

Congratulations and welcome.
I'd be happy to hit 93 mpg ...
(not to mention 93 mph)

bschloop 04-23-2013 04:41 PM

congrats,
out of curiosity, what is your typical speed? I got 130ish on a long 55mph trip last year. I'm hoping to break that this summer.

MPG_Plus 04-23-2013 10:01 PM

Typical trip profile

The driving is mixed with about 8 miles of city driving and 7 miles at 55 mph. I get up early to beat the traffic and try to time the lights ( drive as if there are no brakes), gliding with the clutch in idling at about 300 rpms. Once at speed I am in a tuck. The way home has more traffic and I take a route with the least stops, or at least I try to, and if I catch a long light I turn the engine off. I haven't been on any long highway trips yet and as long as the speeds are not too high it probably will do better than city. I am curious to see what the top speed will be in 6th gear, it pulls strong at 65.

:thumbup:

alvaro84 04-24-2013 11:29 PM

What did you do to make idle that low?

MPG_Plus 04-25-2013 09:59 AM

Simple idle adjustment

The bike is carbureted and the idle setting is a simple adjustment below the seat. I am estimating the 300 RPM's from the tachometer. Also I live in Arizona where it is relatively warm. I make a slight adjustment between winter and summer and the warm weather with thinner oil allows a low idle.

sendler 04-25-2013 10:36 AM

My Ninja250 would never idle below 1,300 rpm let alone 300.

renault_megane_dci 04-25-2013 03:36 PM

300 rpm is a starter motor cranking speed, it is very low ...
Maybe the bike engine wich are oversquare can handle that low a RPM BUT your idle speed setting is there for a reason : below a certain RPM the oil pump can not provide enough oil pressure !

MPG_Plus 04-25-2013 08:59 PM

Re: Low idle

renault_megane_dci I appreciate the heads up on potentially too low oil pressure. I would like to find a way to measure the oil pressure, because I have done this on several older carburated cars which had oil pressure sensors and would find a medium setting with a lower idle with just a slight drop in oil pressure and had no problems for 150,000 miles on American cars. According to some there is a bit of a wifes tale about oversquare rules of thumb but that is a grey area and I am not trying to start an argument on the topic (see Why "Over Square" Is Good ). Also do you know a ball park figure for the design margin on the oil pressure?

I am curious about the mods you have done and appreciate any constructive criticism. You mentioned low bars on your GN 250, exactly what are those and does that just lower the suspension ?

Thanks

renault_megane_dci 04-26-2013 04:22 AM

Oil pressure :
car iddle setting is usually a tad under 900 rpm
bikes iddle setting is usually around 1500 rpm

Bike engines usually revs up to 10.000 rpm and up.
Their oil pump has to cope with these high rpm meaning they are either small or under geared or a combination of both, requiring for a higher iddle setting.

Low bars :
It is just a lower handlebars compared to the factory high-ish bars.
Planning to fit clip-ons at some point.

Over-square engine :
just my opinion but the shorter the stroke, the least destabilized it gets at lower rpm.
More cylinders helps too.