EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   $15K EV Truck (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/15k-ev-truck-1310.html)

H4MM3R 03-07-2008 06:08 AM

$15K EV Truck

I found this Electric Truck. http://www.zapworld.com/electric-veh...s/zap-truck-xl

johnpr 03-07-2008 10:15 AM

i've seen there site before, the truck reminds me of "foundry trucks" which are (of course) used inside foundrys for somewhat smaller loads and are also electric. anyhow, i like the cars on there site a bit more (the xebra models are interesting 3 wheelers and cheaper)

anyone who hasnt checked out the site should go over there and see some of this companys interesting designs :)

thanks H4MM3R for bringing this up

Ryland 03-07-2008 11:23 AM

my computer likes to crash when veiwing that page, so I have to ask, are these being sold as road worthy vehicles, NEV, or off road only vehicles? if they are being sold as full road worthy vehicles, then I could imagine them replacing alot of gas cars, and SUV's for those people who want a vehicle to haul stuff, but mostly commute to work.

H4MM3R 03-07-2008 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 13130)
my computer likes to crash when veiwing that page, so I have to ask, are these being sold as road worthy vehicles, NEV, or off road only vehicles? if they are being sold as full road worthy vehicles, then I could imagine them replacing alot of gas cars, and SUV's for those people who want a vehicle to haul stuff, but mostly commute to work.

Good questions. Top speed 25mph, that would make it an NEV, if you could use it on road.

Ryland 03-07-2008 02:21 PM

25mph is sad... for that price then it would be worth getting one of the electric trucks off Ebay then, lower price for a larger truck with a higher top speed.

Christopher Jordan 03-07-2008 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H4MM3R (Post 13088)
I found this Electric Truck. ...l[/url]

I also found an electric truck- the Xebra pickup fom Zapworld. At first, it seemed ideal- 3 wheels, bed tips up, sides fold down. But reasearch from other owners had written (groups) did not speak well. I would aim for aerodynamics, weight reduction, height reduction, and possibly a speed increase.

My main interest was having a vehicle to haul around my velomobile for repairs/parts, but the Xebra may need repair/parts itself even more.

With oil between $105 and $107. today, my Aspire is turning out to be a luxury car! I am afraid the Xebra will not replace it. :(

countersTrike

H4MM3R 03-07-2008 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Jordan (Post 13175)
I also found an electric truck- the Xebra pickup fom Zapworld. At first, it seemed ideal- 3 wheels, bed tips up, sides fold down. But reasearch from other owners had written (groups) did not speak well. I would aim for aerodynamics, weight reduction, height reduction, and possibly a speed increase.

My main interest was having a vehicle to haul around my velomobile for repairs/parts, but the Xebra may need repair/parts itself even more.

With oil between $105 and $107. today, my Aspire is turning out to be a luxury car! I am afraid the Xebra will not replace it. :(

countersTrike

That is good to know, thanks for sharing.

bennelson 03-07-2008 03:13 PM

I got to go see a Zap Zebra in person a few weeks ago.

That one is considered a 3-wheel motorcycle. Speed doesn't determine if something is an NEV or not, it's laws and safety regulations that do.

The Zebra goes about 35 mph.

The Zap dealer had a diesel generator that he was experimenting running waste vegetable oil through it. He said it was working really well, and if he got a ZAP truck in, he would like to put the diesel generator in back and rig it up as a serial hybrid!

That particular diesel generator is one designed to be extremely quiet (much like the better generators that are built into RVs) and thus would be great on the back of a little Zap Truck.