Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2008, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
How NOT to steal gas

I filled up the Celeb today on my lunchtime, and got something to eat. Some upscale looking lady in a silver SUV pulled up to the next pump, we were the only ones there. Im still dinking with my acetone with a bitter wind chill. At this station they watch the pumps from the counter, and have speakers at the pumps. When turning on a certain pump, if you pay by card, they say something like "thank you pump 6, youre all set, have a great day", or if you dont use a card and just take the nozzle, they say something like "thank you pump 6, please pay inside when you are finished". Or if theres some other problem theyll tell what youve gotta do.

So I heard them tell her to pay inside. She buys a coffee or something and puts it on her credit card while I am looking for what I want for lunch. They ask her if she had any fuel and she said no, then walked out and drove off. About a minute later I get to the counter to pay for my food and gas and the girl at the counter says OMG I just had a drive off. Im a regular there, she told me about the lady and how theyve now got her name and credit card # to call in.

Might have been easier to hide if there were actually other customers there. But who knows, maybe she stole the identity and credit card too.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-28-2008, 09:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mr. Blue Tape

AzxA - '06 Scion xA
90 day: 42.72 mpg (US)
Wow, I'm surprised stations still have "please pay after you gas" policies... that is just ASKING for thieves and cutthroats to steal the gas (almost ironic considering the price plunges of late). My own stations have either pay-by-card or pre-pay. I always do cash and never stay out of car sight for more than it takes for me to pay.

After that Miss Louisana and her crones left a restaurant ($46) without paying for food and then came back for her purse... never underestimate the power of stupid. Oh, and leaving the purse wasn't the worst part. Leaving your purse with illegal drugs (marijuana) in it... now that was dumb squared.

My 5 pillars of fuel efficiency:
  • driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance
Old 10-29-2008, 12:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
I don't know of anyplace around here (or for 100's of miles around) that doesn't have a pre-pay policy. Every State I've visited has that picture of the State Patrol Officer / Actor picture on the pump "Steal Gas, Lose Your License" or whatever that State decided as their tagline.

With CCTV, that license number could be gathered and the resulting knock at the door of the Cops would ensue. Stations almost have to demand pre-pay these days (or they used to, before the engineered, pre-election price drop began )

RH77

_
_
Old 10-29-2008, 12:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
No pre-pay station within hundreds of miles of here. Thank god.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
No pre-pay station within hundreds of miles of here. Thank god.
Same here. The only one I can think of is the Stanwood BP, whichis about 130 miles away or so. There may be a few up north here that I have not gone to, but it is basically all non-pre pay here. Im thankful for it, especially if Im using cash or check.

They do have the state police stickers on the pumps saying you lose your licence if you drive off without paying. Many have cameras too but I know one thats not clear enough to amount to anything. They had a drive-off at the Kalkaska Save-a-lot a few years back or so, and the camera couldnt pick up the licence number. So they posted the grainy picture on the counter and asked if anyone knew who it was. You could only tell it was a tan S10 blazer or Jimmy with the snowflake wheels, could have been many people.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Old 10-29-2008, 08:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Daily Driver - '01 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 18.12 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tony Raine
wow, thats amazingly stupid.

all pre-pay around here. they also have the big sticker that says something like

This Cop Will
take your license
if you don't pay for your gas

but the red part fades out really fast, and people have started their own "creative" fill-in-the-blank.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
There's a mix of prepay v. pay after stations around me...

Personally, I never prepay where possible (I get a 3 cent discount for being a student - but I gotta pay after pumping). A friend of mine happens to be in the gas station business - the convenience store sales outweigh the fuel stolen in drive offs... At least according to him in his region.

I, for one, am happy that the decision is based on what the customer wants - and not fear based.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Quote:
Originally Posted by azraelswrd View Post
After that Miss Louisana and her crones left a restaurant ($46) without paying for food and then came back for her purse... never underestimate the power of stupid. Oh, and leaving the purse wasn't the worst part. Leaving your purse with illegal drugs (marijuana) in it... now that was dumb squared.
But what do you expect; she *was* a beauty queen.

Seriously; I haven't seen a station that would allow post pay in years.
When I was evacuated for Gustav I heard of a place that would allow post pay if they knew you; I'm sure there are quite a few of those left around.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Old 10-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
There are a couple of pay-after stations back in PA where I grew up. Of course, we're talking a tiny town of 2,000 people too where anyone stealing gas has to deal with Ma and Pa Kettle's 12 guage shotgun! They become pre-pay stations from dusk to dawn. Big shiny sticker says "Pre-Pay after 6pm."

I used to go crazy when having to pre-pay with cash because if I wanted a full tank and had to guess the amount of gallons it's going to take to fill it I always screwed it up. Now I carry my bank card so I can fill completely.

Reply  Post New Thread