Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 02:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

09 corolla scan guage results

09 corolla le automatic, tires 38psi a/c on
I have been able to confirm my average with a few fill ups....seems the scan guage is maybe a couple of miles overly optimistic but fairly accurate. the bottem line is you must utilize coasting to break into the mid forties but it can easily be done. my favorite so far is shifting in to neutral on inclines, keeps high speed up, keeps drivers behind me happy

here are the numbers:
just thought I would elaborate on what the built in scan guage in the 09 corolla is telling me.

from dead stop hard acceleration : (7 to 9 mpg)
when the car is already in motion:
acelerating on even pavement ( 26 to 27 mpg)
accelerating up hill (16 to 17 mpg)
steady speed 45mph :
uphill (35 to 38 mpg)
even pavement (41 to 43)
Coasting (any speed) 99.9
coasting in neutral 99.9

So obviously your average will depend largely on your terrain, how fast you drive and alot on how much you take advantage of hills to coast. If you even try a little bit though you will break into the lower 40s in this car, I got 47 mpg average again this morning.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-25-2008, 03:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
47 mpg,

Fill out a fuel log so we can track your tanks,
Old 08-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

It has been challenging ecomodding and comparing how good I am doing with the scan guage vs fill ups, example ,When I drove home from work friday I had averaged 46.6 mpg, my wife then took the car out to run some errands and it dropped down to 40 ....so I am guessing she was only getting in the mid thirtys with her style of driving. needless to say I like to reset the scan guage when I go out again....this is happening on a regular basis, my last fill up calculated out to around 41 mpg but I know it would have been higher...I think I have a zero percent chance of turning her into a ecomodder lol
Old 08-25-2008, 08:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

EcoVibe - '07 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 38.14 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury7 View Post
It has been challenging ecomodding and comparing how good I am doing with the scan guage vs fill ups, example ,When I drove home from work friday I had averaged 46.6 mpg, my wife then took the car out to run some errands and it dropped down to 40 ....so I am guessing she was only getting in the mid thirtys with her style of driving. needless to say I like to reset the scan guage when I go out again....this is happening on a regular basis, my last fill up calculated out to around 41 mpg but I know it would have been higher...I think I have a zero percent chance of turning her into a ecomodder lol
Very nice. You calibrated the ScanGauge after a fill up and then went to 1/4 tank right? I've had to fiddle with my fill up numbers for about 4 tanks before it starts tracking close. My percentage for the fill up change is like 18-20% on my car. What are you seeing on yours?
Old 08-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi....not really sure I understand the question, My scan guage is built in to the corolla. and like I said I have been reseting it alot...depending on if my wife has driven it or if I just want to see how a new route or trip does.
As far as calculating manually I just reset my trip meter whenever I fill up, normally within a few mile of when my low fuel light comes on, this consistently has allowed about 10.5 to 10.8 gallons fo fuel to be added...then I just devide.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury7 View Post
It has been challenging ecomodding and comparing how good I am doing with the scan guage vs fill ups, example ,When I drove home from work friday I had averaged 46.6 mpg, my wife then took the car out to run some errands and it dropped down to 40 ....so I am guessing she was only getting in the mid thirtys with her style of driving.
Any chance her route ( shopping, stop-and-go), engine off and on, parking lot commutes was completely different from your ride home from work? Mid-30s vs. mid 40s sounds about right for this comparison. Comments?
Old 08-29-2008, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Whitevette, yeah I am sure that is the case, I doubt sh even takes her foot off the gas going down hill....anyway, was running late to work this week so had to drive more aggressively....I still popped it in to neutral though going down hill and my average was 41mpg so I am still happy....anything above 40 is really nice.

Reply  Post New Thread