Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
interesting trend? Slush boxes getting better MPG's?

I have been noticing that many of the small cars like the hyundai accent and Toyota's etc are getting better MPG with the slush box vs the stick..

Now im assuming there doing this via a different final drive ratio in the auto so the engine is less RPM at speed.. and there also probably making the stick rev more to prevent having to down shift up hills.. making it more convenient for drivers. But really most people buy sticks for economy , either MPG economy or maintance economy or initial price economy..

The cobalt xfe is a good example , they regeared it and then tweeked the car to offer a big milage increase.. beating out smaller lighter econobox sub compact.. the cobalt is 2900 lbs the yaris is 2200lbs.. yeat they get the same milage..

I dont see why the others dont tweek there lineups to offer these High effency versions.. and these automatics beating sticks in MPG , thats just wrong in my book there is no way that a auto is more effiecent than a standard at transmitting power.. there just doing it wrong..

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-17-2008, 03:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Zukibot - '07 Suzuki SX4 iAWD
I noticed that same thing when purchasing our '07 SX4 with a "slush box." The MPG rating was better than that of the manual. That all changed with the '08 models. The manual received a new fifth gear, bringing it on par with the auto tranny. Fortunately, swapping out that '07 fifth gear with the '08 part is fairly easy. Those who have done this swap are quite pleased.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Damn that gearing!

Stick will catch back on, I think.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
however i might add that at least the autos are getting good milage wasn't to long ago that a auto took a big chunk out of mileage figures.. however i prefer a stick any day over a auto..

however a good efficient CVT seems the best .. so that it can really overdrive when it's at ideal speeds.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SlowZoom - '98 Mazda 626 DX
Last 3: 31.36 mpg (US)

Das Tank - '00 Dodge Carvan Base
I fear the days of the stick are over, everything is convenience oriented these days. Automakers have slowly begun taking away control of the cars sans steering. Traction control, ABS, and the like..designed to keep the utter bafoon intact on the road. If you want to feel the road or anything else you can't get a new car, drive by wire gas pedal. I had an injury which left me unable to use my right ankle. I can drive my car fine b ut a new one with "drive by wire" I look like a 14 year old girl trying to drive a stick shift. I'm just waiting on the "wipe your arse" machine.
AC and PS Delete
17x7 Drag DR 19 wheels ( I know )
Hankook z rated tires ( again, I know

Future plans: Mazda miata 14'' BBS wheels
Old 06-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacherville View Post
But really most people buy sticks for economy , either MPG economy or maintance economy or initial price economy..
Err... What on earth gives you that idea? Look at where manual transmissions are most common: high-end sports & performance cars, most of which are about as far removed from economy cars as it's possible to get. I would imagine most of the manual transmissions going into lower price range cars are for much the same reason: buyers who want control rather than "convenience".
Old 06-20-2008, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Err... What on earth gives you that idea? Look at where manual transmissions are most common: high-end sports & performance cars, most of which are about as far removed from economy cars as it's possible to get. I would imagine most of the manual transmissions going into lower price range cars are for much the same reason: buyers who want control rather than "convenience".
Lower price cars offer manuals because they are lower priced cars. Autos add $800-1000 to the price of a new car. That's a big chunk in cars costing less than $20k.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
is awesome

Nissan's diesel Maxima may be manual only
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/16/n...e-manual-only/
Old 06-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
One thing to note, you can get a shift in 5th at much lower speeds than an auto. I don't think they go around at 40 mph in 5th much in their mileage test.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 06-20-2008, 03:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

It doesn't surprise me that the auto's are catching up. Most recent transmission research and development has been geared towards automatic transmissions. Can't say that anything new (other than an extra gear or two) has been added to a manual transmission in many years.

Reply  Post New Thread